LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Nate Davis thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Clearly Davis isn't ready to be an NFL QB, but it's also clear that he has excellent poise in the pocket and shows a strong/accurate arm. I was more consistently impressed with him during the preseason than anything I've ever seen from Alex Smith (who has all the athletic skills you want in a QB, but doesn't have a natural feel for the role).

Now, that alone doesn't mean Davis will be a great QB, and comparing him to Smith based on a few preseason games isn't saying much at all. However, you can see his natural feel for the position, and I'm excited to see what he can do next year during preseason.

Well said. Davis just has that feel. He looks like a QB out there. Reminds me a little of Rothlesberger.
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Who ever thinks that Nate Davis is ready are idiots.

These people are making their assessments based on a small sample of plays he made AGAINST PLAYERS WHO ARE NO LONGER IN NFL ROSTERS!

He may have talent, but he is far from ready. Let him sit one more year under Alex Smith and get used to the offense and then start him on his 3rd or 4th year. By then he should be ready and there will be no more excuses.

To me it wasn't who he was playing but the way he handled himself. It was the laser throws on the comebacks. But i agree, i would like him to come in ready like Phillip Rivers did. It's just hard watching the mediocre QB play of Smith.

If Davis had the game Smith did against the Lions i would have been very disappointed

really?!?

20 out of 31, 230yds 1TD and no picks

I would be stoked if Nate davis had a game like that....

I would be to if I hadn't watched the game.

The stats were inflated by dump offs to gore. And there were many poor passes, not just the under throw to crabs that should have been a TD. Disappointing game when we had 6 turnovers and scored 20 pts. The only good thing is he didnt lose us the game

When did taking what the defense gives you become a bad thing???? Would you rather he try and force the ball into coverage? I do agree about the poor passes. Smith could have had a TD to Crabtree and to VD if he had hit them in stride.
Originally posted by backontop:

These people are making their assessments based on a small sample of plays he made AGAINST PLAYERS WHO ARE NO LONGER IN NFL ROSTERS!

He may have talent, but he is far from ready. Let him sit one more year under Alex Smith and get used to the offense and then start him on his 3rd or 4th year. By then he should be ready and there will be no more excuses.

To me it wasn't who he was playing but the way he handled himself. It was the laser throws on the comebacks. But i agree, i would like him to come in ready like Phillip Rivers did. It's just hard watching the mediocre QB play of Smith.

If Davis had the game Smith did against the Lions i would have been very disappointed

really?!?

The stats were inflated by dump offs to gore. And there were many poor passes, not just the under throw to crabs that should have been a TD. Disappointing game when we had 6 turnovers and scored 20 pts. The only good thing is he didnt lose us the game

When did taking what the defense gives you become a bad thing???? Would you rather he try and force the ball into coverage? I do agree about the poor passes. Smith could have had a TD to Crabtree and to VD if he had hit them in stride.

I agree, just saying that the stats would have been more impressive had the majority of his pass yards went to wr's downfield. Smith needs to stop being Captain Checkdown and get the ball downfield. THe announcers pointed it out a couple times when he had guys open but went for the checkdown instead. He still seems scared and unsure of himself

really?!?

I agree, just saying that the stats would have been more impressive had the majority of his pass yards went to wr's downfield. Smith needs to stop being Captain Checkdown and get the ball downfield. THe announcers pointed it out a couple times when he had guys open but went for the checkdown instead. He still seems scared and unsure of himself

you ever take into consideration that the receivers are not getting seperation? or that the pressure in Smith's face forces him to get rid of the ball before he can go through his progression, so he turns to his safety valve in Gore?

you ever take into consideration that the receivers are not getting seperation? or that the pressure in Smith's face forces him to get rid of the ball before he can go through his progression, so he turns to his safety valve in Gore?

Not when I can clearly see no one around him.

cause Smith actually gets time to throw the ball
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Originally posted by excelsior:
So many of you live in a fantasy world, and create a false reality in your mind. Because Alex is our current QB, you see his good plays and his bad ones. Since you are biased, you focus on his bad ones and ignore or trivialize his good ones.

In the case of Nate, you have created this fabulous QB in your mind. But translating talent into consistent results against strong opponents in regular season games is an entirely different story. Observe how few promising QBs make it big in the NFL. Look at all the highly-acclaimed, high-draft choice QBs that came out of college the last few years, and look at how few have performed anyway near what one might have expected.

Remember how many of you had annointed JTO as our savior? We saw how that turned out. Then you jumped on Hill, and that false dream fell apart. Smith started out encouraging, but after awhile opponents found schemes to take advantage of our weaknesses.

Odds are heavy that Nate would be no different. He has weakness, no doubt, and opponents would exploit them. Eventually, you would be looking for another savior.

It's not a fantasy world or delusion to want Nate Davis to get a shot at starting. He's a relatively unknown quantity in regards to how he handles regular season play, but he has shown that he possess the skills and instincts that both Hill and Smith lack.

This is agreed upon not by delusional fans, but by the coaching staff and professional sports writers.

In Alex Smith we have a known quantity and the fans have seen 2 decades of great QB play to recognize a subpar bum when they see one.

What's delusional is expecting Alex Smith to be something he isn't if you give him more time and more talented supporting cast.

I don't understand what he has shown for anyone to believe that he'll be an elite QB let alone a midlevel QB.

Honestly, let's not compare him to the Hall of Famers, let's compare him to the journeymen QBs that have had a few good years but flamed out.

His career doesn't even compare to Brad Johnson's (2 Pro Bowls 1 SB win), Jeff Garcia's (3 Pro Bowls 3 playoff appearances), Jim Everett's (1 Pro Bowl 2 playoff appearances), Chris Chandler's (2 Pro Bowls 1 SB Loss), Jim Harbaugh's (1 Pro Bowl 3 playoff appearances), Stan Humphries '(1 SB Loss), Pete Wilson's (1 Pro Bowl 3 playoff appearances), and numerous other NFL QB journeymen.

No what's delusional is sticking with Alex Smith and expecting the team to be a legit contender.

So your argument is that a 25 year old qb has not achieved as much as a bunch of retired qb's achieved during their entire careers?

I struggle to find a word to describe this "logic". Lame doesn't go anywhere near far enough.

You call other people's arguments "delusional"? Let's inject a few facts into your argument:

Quarterbacks take time to develop.

Alex Smith is 25 years old

Brad Johnson was 31 when he made his 1st Pro Bowl appearance and 35 when he made the SuperBowl.

Jeff Garcia was 30 when he made his 1st Pro Bowl appearance.

Jim Everett was 28 when he went to the Pro Bowl

Chris Chandler was 32 when he went to the Pro Bowl and 33 when he went to the SuperBowl

Jim Harbagh was 32 when he went to the Pro Bowl

Stan Humphries was 27 when he went to the playoffs and 29 the SuperBowl

I have no idea who Pete Wilson is. Perhaps you could enlighten me. Meantime Wade Wilson, in case you were mistaking them, went to the Pro Bowl when he was 29.

Most journeyman qb's go to the SuperBowl when they are leading a great team. That is how they get there. So comparing the performance of these teams with ours is flawed, to be polite.

The argument is that as the #1 overall pick Alex Smith's career should reflect that of a successful franchise QB, not that of a journeymen.

He should have immediately shown the ability to read defenses from under center. The ability to keep drives alive by running for 1st downs, perform under pressure, and lead the team to tough victories.

At this point his supporters are hoping that he'll get more time to develop and have a brief run of success like the journeymen quarterbacks mentioned. Such a brief run of success usually results in a SB loss. In the rare cases of Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostler, Trent Dilfer & Brad Johnson, it's a 1 win deal without any other years of serious contention.

With the quality of QBs in the league today and the talent that surrounds them, Alex Smith isn't going to win the SB. When your drafted #1 overall that is the expectation.

So rather than have the Niners go through their Neil O'Donnell phase, the team needs to move on to the next option at QB. Smith will most likely get pulled by the 4th game if the team isn't winning or the offense is lagging behind the defense.

As for my use of the term delusional, I was responding to the previous posters claim that Nate Davis supporters live in a fantasy world and are delusional.
Unfortunately an argument or opinion is legitimately delusional if it is resistant to fact, reason, or proof.

I believe in and try to practice respecting the opinion of other posters and challenging their arguments without vitriol, condescension or smugness.

However, in the face of the fact that Alex Smith has not performing up to the standards of his profession, to support his status as the starter and to expect to be a contender is delusional.

Your going to have to present evidence and facts that prove otherwise.

No actually I am not. I brought some facts to bear on your last post. I notice you don't have the courtesy to acknowledge this.

But now you have moved onto pure opinion. And this is an argument that has grown a beard on the zone.

Alex Smith will, injuries excluding, be the starter next year. And if the team put an O line in front of him, he will have the chance to prove himself.

And I don't care for the Smith/Hill/Davis bickering that continues to infest the zone.

I love how you think it's everyone's fault but smiths. Since this is the Nate Davis thread heres what a qb should do in the pocket with pressure.

I love how you think it's everyone's fault but smiths. Since this is the Nate Davis thread heres what a qb should do in the pocket with pressure.

That's my favorite play from the entire preseason. People will say, "but that's against backups." It doesn't matter if the person coming after you is a backup or not...you just can't teach that natural ability to slide away from pressure while keeping your eyes downfield, then being able to throw a dart that nobody else can catch but your guy. That's a big-time NFL play that happens simply out of instinct and pure QB skills.

I'm not crowning Davis off that, but you can't deny what you see.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM ]

wassup new guy, since ur just as new to the zone as Davis is playing qb. I say ya'll both should sit one more year, and learn your craft.

Maybe u forgot, learning disability. Rushing a rookie qb into action. Forgettng that they use more visuals with Davis. He's practiced no time at qb for most of the season.

And above Sing ain't gonna play him in the last game just to please a few.

If you really do like the kid, like most here, including myself, then Bring him along the right way.

And oh yeah in the video, u lose all credibility, if your showing him in the pre-season. That is a rookie move.

Originally posted by Jersey9er:

wassup new guy, since ur just as new to the zone as Davis is playing qb. I say ya'll both should sit one more year, and learn your craft.

Maybe u forgot, learning disability. Rushing a rookie qb into action. Forgettng that they use more visuals with Davis. He's practiced no time at qb for most of the season.

If you really do like the kid, like most here, including myself, then Bring him along the right way.

And oh yeah in the video, u lose all credibility, if your showing him in the pre-season. That is a rookie move.

Well GOFD agreed and he's got 18000 more posts than you if were basing things on that. And show me where I said start davis. I was simply responding to the people that think it's all the O-line.

and heres what I posted above the video since you didn't read it the first time. Since this is the Nate Davis thread here's what a qb should do in the pocket with pressure.

Well GOFD agreed and he's got 18000 more posts than you if were basing things on that. And show me where I said start davis. I was simply responding to the people that think it's all the O-line.

and heres what I posted above the video since you didn't read it the first time. Since this is the Nate Davis thread here's what a qb should do in the pocket with pressure.

Yup...I agree with the n00b.

The 2nd half of preseason games are actually pretty similar to college in terms of the talent (in fact, it's probably a step up), and of course, college games are used to assess talent entering the draft. So it's not a stretch to use preseason games as a way to assess rookie talent.

Only one thing wrong with your statement. Most of the time Smith doesn't even have a pocket. The OLine just gets blown up by the defense.
I say give Nate a series or two against STL. Why not? I mean are you guys scared that you might miss some great QB play from Alex.

Only one thing wrong with your statement. Most of the time Smith doesn't even have a pocket. The OLine just gets blown up by the defense.

Or when he does have time theres no seperation, or the receiver drops the perfectly thrown ball, or raye called a bad play, or there was pass interference, or the ball wasnt properly inflated, smith had a hangnail, ate a bad burrito, the man was trying to hold him down, marc roman
Share 49ersWebzone