There are 224 users in the forums

Could Desean Jackson the second coming of Jerry Rice?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Could Desean Jackson the second coming of Jerry Rice?

So what? Every team misses on some draft picks. The Patriots have missed players over the years. So have the Colts. So have the Saints. So have the Vikings.

Those hindsight glasses are looking pretty clear.
oh is it that time of the month again, it seems that every month some noob comes in and reminds us of the blunders of our management team and not drafting D Jackson because they believed he will be a DIVA....... so we held out a year and drafted a bigger one who still had not produced as much as D Jackson rookie year.

Gee thank you for reminding me how diareha feels.
I've already expressed my feelings on this, but I just wanted to say it's spelled DeSean, not Deshawn, DeShaun, or whatever I've been seeing as of late.
If I was GM here are some players we would have now on our squad.

Sidney Rice
Pierre Garcon
Tony Ugoh
Michael Oher

Then again Alan Branch would be on our team (doing better) but we would have David Harris.

Ah I take that back, Harris, Rice, and Ugoh were all taken in the 2nd round of 2007 :P But there were on my radar.

[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Dec 14, 2009 at 11:38:45 ]
For f**k's sake! How many threads and hijacked threads are going to rehash this old topic?
If the sky was green instead of blue...

If the world was flat instead of round...
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by jrg:
If we had DeSean Jackson, we wouldn't have drafted Crabtree.

Crabtree > Jackson

You are nuts. Jackson is a top 10 WR in this league and probably the top punt returner in all of football. Crabtree isnt close to his league at this point.

Jackson is 13th in the NFL in receiving yards, 40th in receptions and 13th in touchdowns among receivers. He does have the best punt return average, though he's fielded the fewest punts among the top five punt returners in the NFL.

I do however think it's unrealistic to compare Crabtree and Jackson. They are two totally different types of receivers from different draft classes.

He also has huge game breaking ability as shown by the fact that he has tied the all time single season record for most TDs over 50 yards. As far as # of receptions you do have to account for the fact that he missed a game and that Philly has several other guys that McNabb also goes to in the redzone like Celek and Avant.

I guess my point is that Crabtree hasnt accomplished anything yet to say he is better than Jackson and that Jackson has clearly shown that he is a true game changer. Maybe in the future we will be able to put Crab in his class. Just not yet.

Just as you chastised jrg for insinuating that Crabtree is superior to Jackson, you've overstated Jackson's importance in the Philadelphia offense.

He also had one incredible game on national television. Aside from his big plays down the field and his punt returning skills, Jackson lacks in other areas (press coverage and run blocking to name two problems).

Hadn't Michael Crabtree sat out for six weeks, he'd be on pace for 928 yards receiving. DeSean Jackson's rookie year receiving total? 912.

Bottom line: DeSean Jackson isn't a top ten receiver.
Blame McCloughan mostly for that blunder. Tell the Yorks to fire him and hire one of us in the WZ instead to be GM. Then, we can hire JR to be head talent scout and draft those that only he endorses. Better yet, let's offer the GM job to Rice, maybe he'll take it.
This wasn't a normal mistake of passing someone up. Jerry Rice was training with him and specifically told us to draft him. Its not like we just slipped up and passed on him.
Originally posted by OO9ers:
oh is it that time of the month again, it seems that every month some noob comes in and reminds us of the blunders of our management team and not drafting D Jackson because they believed he will be a DIVA....... so we held out a year and drafted a bigger one who still had not produced as much as D Jackson rookie year.

Gee thank you for reminding me how diareha feels.

I dont have 7,000 posts like you, but I have been following the 9ers since I was 10 years old, startin with the 94' season. Some of you guys are so funny. You think that because you spend all day on this forum and have tons of posts, that it somehow makes you smarter than other 49ers fans. Sorry I cant spend all day on this forum and I havn't built up my reputation like you have. Next time I wont post until I have at least 1,000 posts, then maybe I wil be worthy of posting a thread in YOUR forum. Forgive me Mr. Forum Master!

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
This wasn't a normal mistake of passing someone up. Jerry Rice was training with him and specifically told us to draft him. Its not like we just slipped up and passed on him.

you don't draft a 5-10 175lb WR/KR in the 2nd round when your team doesn't have a line

the 9ers did what they had to take two lineman first

Philly was already a good team and DeSean was a vanity pick for them

get over it

oh by the way I wanted the 9ers to draft Tom Brady

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
If the sky was green instead of blue...

If the world was flat instead of round...

What do you mean "if the world was flat"

Yes this has been re-hashed several times. Kinda lame that management doesn't listen to people that know what they are talkng about.Old news though.
Originally posted by jrg:
If we had DeSean Jackson, we wouldn't have drafted Crabtree.

Crabtree > Jackson

You are nuts. Jackson is a top 10 WR in this league and probably the top punt returner in all of football. Crabtree isnt close to his league at this point.

Jackson is 13th in the NFL in receiving yards, 40th in receptions and 13th in touchdowns among receivers. He does have the best punt return average, though he's fielded the fewest punts among the top five punt returners in the NFL.

I do however think it's unrealistic to compare Crabtree and Jackson. They are two totally different types of receivers from different draft classes.

He also has huge game breaking ability as shown by the fact that he has tied the all time single season record for most TDs over 50 yards. As far as # of receptions you do have to account for the fact that he missed a game and that Philly has several other guys that McNabb also goes to in the redzone like Celek and Avant.

I guess my point is that Crabtree hasnt accomplished anything yet to say he is better than Jackson and that Jackson has clearly shown that he is a true game changer. Maybe in the future we will be able to put Crab in his class. Just not yet.

Just as you chastised jrg for insinuating that Crabtree is superior to Jackson, you've overstated Jackson's importance in the Philadelphia offense.

He also had one incredible game on national television. Aside from his big plays down the field and his punt returning skills, Jackson lacks in other areas (press coverage and run blocking to name two problems).

Hadn't Michael Crabtree sat out for six weeks, he'd be on pace for 928 yards receiving. DeSean Jackson's rookie year receiving total? 912.

Bottom line: DeSean Jackson isn't a top ten receiver.

LOL Aside from his big plays and his great return skills? Well.. I would think that is pretty damn important dont you? As far as not being a top 10 WR... that is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to that. I believe he is when you consider his return skills along with his WR skills.

WRs I would put ahead of him right now:
1) Larry Fitzgerald
2) Andre Johnson
3) Calvin Johnson
4) Brandon Marshall
5) Wes Welker
6) Reggie Wayne

Guys I would put in same class:
7) Randy Moss
8) Anquoin Boldin
9) Marquis Colston
10 Chad 85