There are 170 users in the forums

Is Brett Favre inspiring a new trend?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I was thinking that maybe more QB's will start to shoot for playing in their 40's. And if so, maybe the GM's change their tune a bit also. Like if you have a franchise QB who is 35, maybe you don't have to draft an heir yet?

I can see Peyton playing at a high level at 40 also.
No.

He's a unique guy on a very talented team.

Jim Plunkett won the Super Bowl at 38 so it can be done later on.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
No
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I think the trend was there before Favre came to Minny... Testaverde played past his 40s so did Doug Flutie, and Tom Brady has said recently he plans to play probably past 41.. so who knows
Originally posted by danimal:
I was thinking that maybe more QB's will start to shoot for playing in their 40's. And if so, maybe the GM's change their tune a bit also. Like if you have a franchise QB who is 35, maybe you don't have to draft an heir yet?

I think Manning can do it but like Farve he's a different animal and a legend int eh game. Every player isn't gonna be able to do this. not even the good one's will. Only the greats' but with better training and better conditioning it could be possible. But with that better conditioning comes bigger hits over your career.
[ Edited by lamontb on Nov 30, 2009 at 1:15 PM ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

I think Manning can do it but like Farve he's a different animal and a legend int eh game. Every player isn't gonna be able to do this. not even teh good one's will. Only the greats' but with better training and better conditioning it could be possible. But with that better conditioning comes bigger hits over your career.

And the one thing they have in common is never missing a start, which is rare. testeverde didn't play as a starter most of his career, guys like that generally can play a long time, but for a starter to do it that long is almost unheard of.
Originally posted by TX9R:

I think Manning can do it but like Farve he's a different animal and a legend int eh game. Every player isn't gonna be able to do this. not even teh good one's will. Only the greats' but with better training and better conditioning it could be possible. But with that better conditioning comes bigger hits over your career.

And the one thing they have in common is never missing a start, which is rare. testeverde didn't play as a starter most of his career, guys like that generally can play a long time, but for a starter to do it that long is almost unheard of.

Exactly as mush as i dislike Farve you do have to realize you are watching one of the greatest to play this game along with Manning. These guys aren't normal
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No.

He's a unique guy on a very talented team.

Jim Plunkett won the Super Bowl at 38 so it can be done later on.

exactly
If Peyton and maybe Brady follow suit, then there may be something.

Of course Brett Favre is unique. We all get that, and if you didn't; the media will soon fix that

But the question is, will post Farve be like pre Favre.....and maybe we won't see another like him anytime soon. OR, will it become less rare to see HOF QB's with super longevity? I think the fact Peyton Manning is following Favre already is very telling.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
If Peyton and maybe Brady follow suit, then there may be something.

Of course Brett Favre is unique. We all get that, and if you didn't; the media will soon fix that

But the question is, will post Farve be like pre Favre.....and maybe we won't see another like him anytime soon. OR, will it become less rare to see HOF QB's with super longevity? I think the fact Peyton Manning is following Favre already is very telling.

Manning is the best QB of his generation, I wouldn't use him as the norm for any circumstance. As far as playing longer, with all the rule changes protecting QBs, it's very possible.

I think Manning can do it but like Farve he's a different animal and a legend int eh game. Every player isn't gonna be able to do this. not even the good one's will. Only the greats' but with better training and better conditioning it could be possible. But with that better conditioning comes bigger hits over your career.

manning could probably play until 45 easily. the dude rarely even gets breathed on.
Favre is a mutant. There will not be many qbs that can or will do what he's done.

That being said, I can barely stand the pr**k.
Share 49ersWebzone