LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Vernon is use to slowing down for smiths throws.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
The pass was overthrown by about 4 inches. I will not blame Vernon Davis for not catching that pass. I do blame him for not laying out. But in no way do I expect him to make that catch. What I expect is for him to make a maximum effort attempt.

Would have been a spectacular play and catch.

Yeah that would have been an amazing finger tip catch. Vernon has never been known for excellent ball skills and spectacular type of catching ability.The ball was a little overthrown. Sucks because he was wide ass open!
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Those aren't the type of catches that he can really make. He does better with shorter throws hit in stride. I don't think I've ever seen him win a jump ball or go up high for anything.
he did it twice
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
For those saying it was overthrown... Go rewatch the game. It hit his fingertips and his arms were bent. If he straightens his arms, it hits him in the palms. He is too muscle bound for his own good. Makes him better at blocking, worse as a pass catcher.

I love VD, he's one of my favorite players but this is what I saw as well. It looked like a catchable ball and he just didn't go all out for it.
That is how I saw it too. I don't expect him to make that catch every time, but I do fully expect to see him go full out for a ball that is touchable.

I think he just needs some specefic coaching tune ups on a few things. Like how every time the ball is above his neck he gazzle-hops for it instead of keeping his feet on the ground, makes his RAC suffer.

Dude is still a beast and I love him. But I think he can play better.
[ Edited by Igotta on Dec 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM ]
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
Manos Grandes Sin Corazon lol

Manos Enormes Con Sangre de Hielo
Perhaps they need to start using Vernon more as an underneath option that can pickup YAC ala Hernandez on the Pats. He can be a monster to take down in the open field when he gets a head of steam. It seems like we primarily use him as a decoy / blocker.
Let's face it, he hasn't exactly had the most productive year. Yes, he's great at run blocking, but he's not the most reliable receiver. He has a tendency to alligator arm it from time to time. With Delanie Walker expected to be a free agent, I wonder if we should consider rebuilding our TE depth? What do you think we could get for Vernon?
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM ]
f**k no he just needs to quit being a b***h. And Roman needs to design more plays to him like he does with crabs
[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Dec 17, 2012 at 8:31 PM ]
That would be ridiculous.

secret weapon for the playoffs
Yes, the way he's playing this year. Trade him to whatever team Alex goes to.
  • Veteran
Nein, Nein, Nein........
Crazy question he just redid his deal to get another star signed. Not a good idea.
Originally posted by Igotta:
That is how I saw it too. I don't expect him to make that catch every time, but I do fully expect to see him go full out for a ball that is touchable.

I think he just needs some specefic coaching tune ups on a few things. Like how every time the ball is above his neck he gazzle-hops for it instead of keeping his feet on the ground, makes his RAC suffer.

Dude is still a beast and I love him. But I think he can play better.

You just want the best for Vernon, we all do. When we get everyone on the offensive side on the same page we will be even more scary to opposing defenses.
Share 49ersWebzone