LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
it is a big deal, he does it a couple of plays a game..run straight and doesn't look back.

there will be times when we will need those catches..but if we keep winning..then it goes unnoticed.

Any evidence to back that up? What's a "couple" times a game? 2 or 3? I can't recall 2 or 3 instances a game where a pass is thrown to him and he's not looking.

Him and Kap weren't on the same page for that play. It happens.

Seriously.

If this dude wants to complain about Vernon, then criticize the fact that he catches with his body which causes drops and bobbles. But that's Vernon, he'll never catch like Chris Carter. He's still an amazing and elite TE.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
yeah what does it matter that he caught 2 TDs and had a 32 yarder called back on a BS call..lets talk about this one stupid play....

well it would have been a first down
Any evidence to back that up? What's a "couple" times a game? 2 or 3? I can't recall 2 or 3 instances a game where a pass is thrown to him and he's not looking.

thats the reason he doesn't get thrown to, Watch on Blitzes..doesn't look back to help out the QB

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Seriously.

If this dude wants to complain about Vernon, then criticize the fact that he catches with his body which causes drops and bobbles. But that's Vernon, he'll never catch like Chris Carter. He's still an amazing and elite TE.
The post i was quoted on, i had noted that he still does both..Hands and routes

you guys can get upset all you want and defend him.. but he still does it
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Sep 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM ]

Neither can I. But some people see what they want to see instead of what's actually happening.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
well it would have been a first down
thats the reason he doesn't get thrown to, Watch on Blitzes..doesn't look back to help out the QB

The post i was quoted on, i had noted that he still does both..Hands and routes

you guys can get upset all you want and defend him.. but he still does it

I know, I think that's valid. He is still insanely productive however, and I don't think he'll ever change.

You're on your own with the whole route thing man.
Vernon is who he is, too late to change but as long as he keeps catching td's that's fine by me.

He's tied for 89th all time with 55 td's and probably has 5-7 years left. As for TE's he's in the top 5, only ones I could find with more are Tony G, Gates, Sharpe, Jerry Smith. He's 8 away from passing Sharpe and 6 away from passing Smith. Gates has 87 and Tony G has 111. He will probably pass up Gates but unlikely Gonzalez. Although with guys like Graham and Gronk being more like WR's the numbers for TE's will get broke by them or in the future. Anyways, hopefully he is #2 when he retires; it will be interesting to hear his corny fake reverend butt up on the stage at Canton.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 8, 2014 at 12:29 AM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Vernon is who he is, too late to change but as long as he keeps catching td's that's fine by me.

He's tied for 89th all time with 55 td's and probably has 5-7 years left. As for TE's he's in the top 5, only ones I could find with more are Tony G, Gates, Sharpe, Jerry Smith. He's 8 away from passing Sharpe and 6 away from passing Smith. Gates has 87 and Tony G has 111. He will probably pass up Gates but unlikely Gonzalez. Although with guys like Graham and Gronk being more like WR's the numbers for TE's will get broke by them or in the future. Anyways, hopefully he is #2 when he retires; it will be interesting to hear his corny fake reverend butt up on the stage at Canton.

Also...
From 2006 to now, only 6 players have more Receiving TD's - Larry Fitzgerald, Antonio Gates, Calvin Johnson, Marques Colston, Brandon Marshall and Greg Jennings.

Vernon is a beast. Excellent blocker too which gets overlooked as part of his job. Could he be better? Sure, but he's been amazing.

will be the worst speech ever
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Also...
From 2006 to now, only 6 players have more Receiving TD's - Larry Fitzgerald, Antonio Gates, Calvin Johnson, Marques Colston, Brandon Marshall and Greg Jennings.

Vernon is a beast. Excellent blocker too which gets overlooked as part of his job. Could he be better? Sure, but he's been amazing.

Thanks for that stat had no idea. Kind of crazy considering how little we pass it although for many years he was our only reliable target.

Originally posted by lucky_49:

I don't think so but will be very overly dramatic. Then again wouldn't be the first time. Seems they are becoming more like that each year. Almost like everyone expects such great speeches these days they seem to be over the top.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 8, 2014 at 12:39 AM ]
I just wish he would learn to catch the ball with his hands rather than his body. I cant even begin to count the number of times he's dropped catches because of that.
Originally posted by lucky_49:

"I would like to thank the Hall of Fame, they are really good. I want to also thank my teammates, God bless them. Without them, you know, none of what... I mean, I wouldn't be standing here, in front of everybody here today. So, 'thanks guys.' Go Niners.
On that note. I want to thank my family, they are important to me in many ways. I think they really make me proud and they are really beneficial to me as well.
Not at least, I mean, the one, or one of the most important things to me, is God. The man upstairs, you know, God, for giving me the God given abilities that I was given. Thank you. I appreciate it.
My talents have been special for me, and I am truly honored to be standing here today, among a class of Hall-of-Famers that it is really special to be around. Just to be in their presence is really special for me. They are people I look up to. They are special, and I am proud of them."

• hott
  • Veteran
To summarize, Vernon won't make the HOF because he's a terrible route runner and makes body catches, despite his TD's, blocking ability, and sexual prowess.
  • hott
  • Veteran
But Witten makes it because Aikman says so.
Vernon is who he is and I accept it. Body catches and all. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to change in his 9th season. He's a damn good blocker and a homerun hitter when it comes to his catches. Considering the skill set Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, and Frank Gore bring, we need one of our starters to be a threat to take it the distance on every single play. We can let Vance McDonald be the Pete Rose (getting hits, singles) to Vernon Davis's Babe Ruth/Hank Aaron/Barry Bonds. Speaking of which, where was McDonald?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Vernon is who he is and I accept it. Body catches and all. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to change in his 9th season. He's a damn good blocker and a homerun hitter when it comes to his catches. Considering the skill set Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, and Frank Gore bring, we need one of our starters to be a threat to take it the distance on every single play. We can let Vance McDonald be the Pete Rose (getting hits, singles) to Vernon Davis's Babe Ruth/Hank Aaron/Barry Bonds. Speaking of which, where was McDonald?

Vance McDonald is Pete Rose? WTF? He had 9 catches last year.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Vance McDonald is Pete Rose? WTF? He had 9 catches last year.

Just because I'd like a player to be similar to someone doesn't mean I'm saying they are that player. It's comical that this was hard to follow.
Share 49ersWebzone