LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Of course. They gave Vernon a whopping $4 mil cash money up front, in exchange for 10% of future brand-related earnings. So it's no surprise he could care less about the measly mini-camp bonuses, he just got a huge paycheck somewhere else.

The funny thing is if he's successful in building his brand to the level he dreams of, he's going to regret signing off 10% of his earnings to Fantex. He'll end up losing a lot more than the $4 mil they gave him. They're not gonna give him that kind of cash if they don't expect to profit in the end.

I do not understand how fantex works.

The money that he receives from fantex does not lessen the money he receives from the 49ers or other sources, does it?

How does Vernon Davis lose money if he get his earning from other sources plus 90% of the money earned by his fantex stock?

Originally posted by buck:

The money that he receives from fantex does not lessen the money he receives from the 49ers or other sources, does it?

How does Vernon Davis lose money if he get his earning from other sources plus 90% of the money earned by his fantex stock?

As I understand it, Fantex gets 10% from EVERYTHING he makes off his brand (NFL contracts, endorsements, commercials, public appearances, etc..). So let's say Vernon signs a shoe deal with Reebok, they get 10% of what he makes off that endorsement. He could have made that same deal without Fantex, but I guess the allure of $4 mil up front was tempting. I guess Vernon can win out if people really invest in his stock, and if he makes some savvy investments away from his brand. I hope it works out for him.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 28, 2014 at 5:31 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by buck:

As I understand it, Fantex gets 10% from EVERYTHING he makes off his brand (NFL contracts, endorsements, commercials, public appearances, etc..). So let's say Vernon signs a shoe deal with Reebok, they get 10% of what he makes off that endorsement. He could have made that same deal without Fantex, but I guess the allure of $4 mil up front was tempting. I guess Vernon can win out if people really invest in his stock, and if he makes some savvy investments away from his brand. I hope it works out for him.

They took em for a ride and he knows it.
According to NFLN news he seems to be back tracking slightly, quoted as saying "He wont lose any sleep if the contract doesnt get done". Thats because you have no leverage Vernon. Now get into camp and do what you are best at - playing ball. Leave the "branding" to those who do that.
This whole thing was probably just a ploy to drum up attention for his stupid FANTEX sponsorship.

He causes a stir with a holdout, he gets interviewed about it by every media outlet, then plugs his new investment. The company probably paid him the money he lost from the holdout.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
once vernon has a bad game a segment of the base will say
well he should not have held out of camp
well he should not have said the word brand
well he should not have taken a picture with jimmy grahm on june 25th
well he should not have tweeted on june 28th
one thing always leads to everything right?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
This whole thing was probably just a ploy to drum up attention for his stupid FANTEX sponsorship.

He causes a stir with a holdout, he gets interviewed about it by every media outlet, then plugs his new investment. The company probably paid him the money he lost from the holdout.

Well 4 million is > than 200k. So it may have been worth it from that standpoint. But I don't know about Fantex- in I my opinion, 99% of the publicity generated for VD and Fantex were negative.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

How do those taste?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chief:

How do those taste?
none of those things mean anything to me when they happened or now or in the future. you know they will all get brought up the first time he drops a pass
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

well he should not have thought he was the second coming picasso

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:

well he should not have thought he was the second coming picasso
yes lets take vernon outside and beat the s**t out of him for having interests outside of football like most other players have. thank you for bringing that up, that is another thing i will add to the list of things to hear and read when he has a bad game
IMO, VD will have a tremendous year since we improved our WR corps.

He should, I'm hoping, see less double coverage as the season progresses.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

if crabs and boldin are full go,, its pretty hard to double vernon. then if those guys are at a high level, the opposition can not afford to stack the line to defend our run thus leaving them vulnerable to those 3 downfield. whatever stevie, miss lloyd, baldwin, the rookie, whomever bring to the table will just be gravy

if crabs and boldin are full go,, its pretty hard to double vernon. then if those guys are at a high level, the opposition can not afford to stack the line to defend our run thus leaving them vulnerable to those 3 downfield. whatever stevie, miss lloyd, baldwin, the rookie, whomever bring to the table will just be gravy

I'm feeling the same thing. It's like excellent combination punching in boxing. When it's working it is almost unstoppable.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I'm feeling the same thing. It's like excellent combination punching in boxing. When it's working it is almost unstoppable.
agree. when all those parts are working, combined with a improved ck who can hurt you with his legs as well, I am not sure how even roman could f**k it up.
Share 49ersWebzone