LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Chances of the Niners giving in to VD's demands?

I put them at 10%.

this year... <5%
next year... >50%
I want winners!
Surprised this dude isn't on the chiefs yet
Originally posted by ads_2006:

I hope these guys realize the more they sit out and put themselves above the team, the more they kick dirt on their legacy in the eyes of the fans.
^

Yeah, i used to be like "Man, Vernon is the best". Now Im like "f**k Vernon, with his stone hands and s**tty grin"
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Right? Is he still a Niner? What about "The team, the team, the team"? He signed a big contract, and has played well, but his production is slipping, he is over 30, and the 3rd highest paid tight end in the league, which is more than he deserves. Frankly, he doesn't look as good as he did with D. Walker on the other side of him. Really, he can go now, the team can win without him. Sorry VD, and Boone, but this team is stacked, and you guys are good, but not indispensable.
Originally posted by JD81:
I damn near lost my mind for like 3 seconds...

http://usatoday.com.sundaytimesdaily.com/49ers,-browns-reach-agreement-on-vernon-davis-trade/r/40687

Yeah for Jordan Cameron and Joe Haden LOL
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Right? Is he still a Niner? What about "The team, the team, the team"? He signed a big contract, and has played well, but his production is slipping, he is over 30, and the 3rd highest paid tight end in the league, which is more than he deserves. Frankly, he doesn't look as good as he did with D. Walker on the other side of him. Really, he can go now, the team can win without him. Sorry VD, and Boone, but this team is stacked, and you guys are good, but not indispensable.
who fills in for vernon, the all pro who is good for about 10 touchdowns a year? vance? wow he only had the number two spot last year because no one else was any good.. we can not be so arrogant as to think you can get rid of vernon and just plug someone in. we have never had to develop a tight end for years, i have no confidence in erik to do that, nor can we be so arrogant to think ck can just make vance a all pro. now vernon does not look as good as when he had walker? really,,, he had a great year last year and why am i even getting sucked into debating something as nonsensical as that? why is around here when people want certain players gone for whatever reason, gore and now vernon, they start blathering about how they are slipping. there is zero evidence to prove vernon is slipping,, even if there were, we go back to who replaces him.
Originally posted by cciowa:
who fills in for vernon, the all pro who is good for about 10 touchdowns a year? vance? wow he only had the number two spot last year because no one else was any good.. we can not be so arrogant as to think you can get rid of vernon and just plug someone in. we have never had to develop a tight end for years, i have no confidence in erik to do that, nor can we be so arrogant to think ck can just make vance a all pro. now vernon does not look as good as when he had walker? really,,, he had a great year last year and why am i even getting sucked into debating something as nonsensical as that? why is around here when people want certain players gone for whatever reason, gore and now vernon, they start blathering about how they are slipping. there is zero evidence to prove vernon is slipping,, even if there were, we go back to who replaces him.

Why is that your only comeback ...there are 29 other teams that can play with out an elite TE..including the 2013 SB champs

Vernon will be here in training camp. Too expensive for him not too. I do expect us to try and extend him in 2015 though. As to Boone...he is sure to get an offer from us but while he is out we will get good G play from our roster depth. Joe Looney? Problem is we won't do a deal until he reports. Right now neither player have leverage and we won't blink first
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Why is that your only comeback ...there are 29 other teams that can play with out an elite TE..including the 2013 SB champs

Especially with the WRs we have now. VD is a great player but we have ample receiving options now. We have great talent all around the ball on offense: QB WR OL RB. We will still score points
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Is anyone here really concerned about this situation? We have Vernon under contract for at least 2 seasons (3 if we can franchise him). He's trying to get more money by cashing in on a successful season, and he sees a much more well-rounded offense this year which will reduce his individual contribution.

This will only become a story if it lasts part way through TC... then we'd have to start integrating Vance more as our #1 and that would have significant impact. Right now, this is a total non-issue. Vernon remains a 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, type option in our offense with Gore, Boldin, and Crabtree being the other three. They all are very important to this offense, and Vernon specifically brings deep speed to the table. Anyone trying to discount or dismiss his contribution to this team is crazy. He's an elite TE and this financial problem will rectify itself eventually.

Nothing to see here folks, as Obi Wan said: "Move along, Move along"
Not me. The guy has been in this system for 3 years and knows it backwards and forwards. I bet if he misses all of TC (and I don't think that will happen) its good to get Vance more reps, and Vernon can step in - in the second regular season game (assuming he holds out until then) and probably not miss too much chemistry with Colin.

Like you said, with all the weapons we know have - he won't be the focal point of the offense anymore this year. He is still will be a very big part of the offense, but with all the other weapons currently here and practicing, we can afford to have him be rusty for a couple of weeks in the regular season games and not miss too much offensive production. By his 4th game back - that's the equivalent of training camp already and he will also not be so worn down - like he would have been if he attended TC -- he will be back to full speed.

Vernon needs all the work he can get....especially on chemistry with the QB
Actually I think Vance needs it more. Colin was fine hitting VD in his first start as an NFL quarterback in the Chicago bear game. Not disagreeing with you, but between the two I think Vance needs more reps with Colin than VD does. It would be nice if both were there to get reps, but this is the next best thing.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Vernon will be here in training camp. Too expensive for him not too. I do expect us to try and extend him in 2015 though. As to Boone...he is sure to get an offer from us but while he is out we will get good G play from our roster depth. Joe Looney? Problem is we won't do a deal until he reports. Right now neither player have leverage and we won't blink first

agree!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
I agree to a certain extent. Vance is no VD, I agree. But with all the other weapons - he does not need to be VD. With Patton and Ellington providing the outside speed, and Stevie providing the man press beater, if Vance has indeed progressed past last year's level -- that might be all we need to win games until VD comes back and we get a new extension done with him.
Share 49ersWebzone