There are 317 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by buck:
If you don't know your past, you won't know your future....

What was Walsh's motto again?
ok not a motto..that still doesn't take away what his thought process was
in my opinion his thought process means nothing to the current regime. these are not walsh's niners, this is not the same nfl. walsh could have learned a thing or two from JH in the way JH handled the ck vs smith thing. the way walsh handled joe vs steve tore the team apart, all 3 used an eager media to push their agenda. i realize after yesterdays debate you think I was living in some sort of a closet during the walsh years but the "walsh way" has nothing to do with todays niners or the vernon davis situation.

i think its really over stated the connection between bill walsh and jim harbaugh. yeah they knew each other at the end of bills life and talked football probably quite a bit but i dont buy the notion that he is just going to copy walsh at everything. if harbaugh took any other job you would hear very little about his connection to bill walsh. its appealing on a nostalgic level for 49er fans but other that that i dont read into it at all. i think people try to make too many connections like bill did this so jim will to cus that was his mentor or whatever. i dont buy it.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Thank you for acknowledging the motto claim was erroneous.

Davis, and Boone, are holding out.

I have no idea what Walsh thought about holding out or players that held out, and the current discussion is really focused on Davis, his holdout, and what that means.

Unless you can provide us with Walsh's thoughts that pertain directly to current hold out of Davis, why bring Walsh and his way into the current discussion.

I have no idea what Walsh thought about holding out or players that held out, and the current discussion is really focused on Davis, his holdout, and what that means.

Unless you can provide us with Walsh's thoughts that pertain directly to current hold out of Davis, why bring Walsh and his way into the current discussion.

if you read the post where i brought that up correctly, we were not talking about hold outs
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
i think its really over stated the connection between bill walsh and jim harbaugh. yeah they knew each other at the end of bills life and talked football probably quite a bit but i dont buy the notion that he is just going to copy walsh at everything. if harbaugh took any other job you would hear very little about his connection to bill walsh. its appealing on a nostalgic level for 49er fans but other that that i dont read into it at all. i think people try to make too many connections like bill did this so jim will to cus that was his mentor or whatever. i dont buy it.
no one ever asks what dennis erickson would have done
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

agree with buck. even though he knows i go over board bringing up old school niners at times,, this whole thing with bringing up walsh as it pertains to vernon davis or any other modern day 49er issue has no value. i wonder if the niners will have any contact with vernon in the next 30 days or do they just wait for him to come to them while they just proceed with who does report to camp?

Because we already know:

He'd have a drink.

.....that's about it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
if you read the post where i brought that up correctly, we were not talking about hold outs

If you had limited your use of Bill Walsh to that aspect of the discussion, I would not have had a problem, but you continued to use Walsh and the Walsh Way in a generalized manner--a manner that seemed to go beyond a specific response.

You motto comment was erroneous, history false, and you still had the gall to come back insinuate that those of us who do not know our history (did not our Bill Walsh), did not know our future.

But, it is preseason and we do get antsy.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:

Because we already know:

He'd have a drink.

.....that's about it.

or stand around with that finger up his butt expression that used to infuriate me

If you had limited your use of Bill Walsh to that aspect of the discussion, I would not have had a problem, but you continued to use Walsh and the Walsh Way in a generalized manner--a manner that seemed to go beyond a specific response.

You motto comment was erroneous, history false, and you still had the gall to come back insinuate that those of us who do not know our history (did not our Bill Walsh), did not know our future.

you were more focused on the wrong term used, then the point.

its like a finger pointing to the moon, Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

its like a finger pointing to the moon, Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory
for goodness sakes i used to howl at the moon when i was 13

• buck
  • Veteran

OK. Thanks for edification.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM ]
Is anyone here really concerned about this situation? We have Vernon under contract for at least 2 seasons (3 if we can franchise him). He's trying to get more money by cashing in on a successful season, and he sees a much more well-rounded offense this year which will reduce his individual contribution.

This will only become a story if it lasts part way through TC... then we'd have to start integrating Vance more as our #1 and that would have significant impact. Right now, this is a total non-issue. Vernon remains a 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, type option in our offense with Gore, Boldin, and Crabtree being the other three. They all are very important to this offense, and Vernon specifically brings deep speed to the table. Anyone trying to discount or dismiss his contribution to this team is crazy. He's an elite TE and this financial problem will rectify itself eventually.

Nothing to see here folks, as Obi Wan said: "Move along, Move along"
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Chris Hemsworth by Joel Rea.

Justin Smith by Vernon Davis.

This had to be done.

Edit: Definitely Smith not Boone what we are looking at.
[ Edited by DeUh on Jun 21, 2014 at 3:45 AM ]
bill walsh has nothing to do with the current niners and that is just the way it is,, that is just emotional blather. I am sure JH has t plan b for training camp in case vernon decides to prolong this drama but if you think JH will treat vernon like he did braylon edwards and brandon jacobs when they became problem children you have another think coming. Plus, while you think so or are hoping so,,, there is zero evidence vernon is any sort of a distraction or cancer to the entire team at this point in time.

i have no problem with most of this statement but the bolded. If Vernon were to start behaving childish like Jacobs over this situation I would expect Harbaugh to treat him the exact same way. If Vernon were to start going to the media demanding trades or badmouth the team in anyway I would hope for nothing else but for Harbaugh to treat him exactly like he treated them, like children. I know Vernons elite and part of 49ers history and a favorite player to many, but I would much rather have a coach and front office that stands there gound if that player starts to betray the teams trust. What kind of message do you think it sends to other players on the team if they caved because of who he is?
Share 49ersWebzone