There are 168 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
is that all you do promote Alex Smith in every thread.

You sound like you want to incite somthing.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Nov 16, 2012 at 10:13 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by MrTruth:
is that all you do promote Alex Smith in every thread.

You sound like you want to incite somthing.

take it how ever you want it.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
so fkn weird how he just disappeared all of a sudden. WTF is going on? Don't give me that "teams are game planning against him" b******t.

All on Roman
I laugh when they say teams take him away. Anybody remember Jerry Rice teams would double him every game yet he still got the ball.

Big difference between Montana and Young throwing into double coverage than Alex Smith too! Also, Rice is and was the greatest WR to ever play. Davis is a TE and not even the best in the league now let alone the best of all time. Huge difference IMO.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NinerG94:
I laugh when they say teams take him away. Anybody remember Jerry Rice teams would double him every game yet he still got the ball.

Big difference between Montana and Young throwing into double coverage than Alex Smith too! Also, Rice is and was the greatest WR to ever play. Davis is a TE and not even the best in the league now let alone the best of all time. Huge difference IMO.

VD is top 3 TE right now and Smith is a top rated passer.

LOL whatever sus. I aint biting. VD is NOT top 3 and the only thing Smith is tops at is passer rating. He hardly ever throws and when he does its barely over 10 yards. He SHOULD be a top rated passer.
Before you ask. Jimmy Graham, Tony Gonzalez, Gronk
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

LOL whatever sus. I aint biting. VD is NOT top 3 and the only thing Smith is tops at is passer rating. He hardly ever throws and when he does its barely over 10 yards. He SHOULD be a top rated passer.

I think VD is pretty good and some think Smith is a top ten QB. Either way I do blame Roman for not being able to get his best receiver then ball on a consistent basis.

I think VD is pretty good and some think Smith is a top ten QB. Either way I do blame Roman for not being able to get his best receiver then ball on a consistent basis.

I agree , we cant always expect Alex to have a 19 for 20 passing and 3 TDs game , even though it would be nice , but Roman has not yet fixed the problem IMO, he needs to make Vernon more of a factor on game day , he's our best weapon in the passing game, but it seems Roman is comfortable with him being given more attention on defense , I would agree with him if we would not have tied with the Rams, and the other receivers put up big numers to suppport the "vernon always draws double coverage excuse" , we need more from Vernon AND Roman ...were approaching crunch time , and our offense cant go sputtering into these final games

I think the issue is that they aren't trying to FORCE the ball in to Vernon. I think they are happy letting the other team take him away and exploiting the coverage with Crabtree. I got no issues with that.

Peeps are acting like the Niners have some big problem on offense that needs to be resolved. If Alex doesn't get hurt there is a very good chance they win that game. Alex was hitting Crabtree on several plays including the TD when the Rams were doing what everyone has been doing...double and triple teaming Vernon.

Everything changed when Kaep came in. Kaep stuggled early and started to play better late in the game, but lets not get it twisted. Alex began the turnaround before he left the game and Crabtree was playing very well.

If Crab keeps playing like that, defenses are going to have to be honest and Vernon will start to break open.

Patience people. Patience.

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

I agree , we cant always expect Alex to have a 19 for 20 passing and 3 TDs game , even though it would be nice , but Roman has not yet fixed the problem IMO, he needs to make Vernon more of a factor on game day , he's our best weapon in the passing game, but it seems Roman is comfortable with him being given more attention on defense , I would agree with him if we would not have tied with the Rams, and the other receivers put up big numers to suppport the "vernon always draws double coverage excuse" , we need more from Vernon AND Roman ...were approaching crunch time , and our offense cant go sputtering into these final games

Sigh. I give up.
Based on yard per recieving, VD is our most dangerous WR, with 13.9. Moss has more, but he only has 15 receptions.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM ]
Now last night is what we expect to see out of "THE DUKE"
Posted this related topic in another thread:

Execution was the biggest difference...we always BALL on Monday nights; play up to the spot light (esp. Aldon Smith).

As to the game plan, Kaep's stat line was right in line with yards, 243 for the game and we came out passing as always and added more runs in the 2nd half. Good yardage on first downs, TD's typically come from this down and 3rd downs with mixed passes/runs for TD's.

The one thing that stood out to me was the game plan (Kaep talked about this in the post game) to attack the cover 2 deep and the obvious play calling to get VD in single coverage and hit him early and often. The Bears had no answer for that one. It produced big yards, TD's and helped Kaep get into a really nice rhythm that he capitalized on and also complimented our running game.

Game plan was very similar in that the passing game was typically designed to get a primary receiver open and spread the ball around. Kaep rarely had to make more than one read but did well when he did have to ad lib. This was the best collective effort I've seen from the WR's getting off the LOS too, the OC game plan (attack deep on a team focused on stopping the run as evidenced by constant 8-10 in the box) and the pass protection was outstanding esp. compared to last week. I was very impressed by Kaep's ability to check to the correct pre snap read and the play designs were stellar to get the primary receiver open (and they were). Collective team win! Loved CK's poise and class and his future.

VD targets:
1st Half:
Single coverage: 2nd and 9 at SF 42 L.Davis reported in as eligible. C.Kaepernick pass deep left to V.Davis pushed ob at CHI 36 for 22 yards (M.Wright). Caught at SF 37. 1-yd YAC
Single coverage: 2nd and 9 at CHI 35. C.Kaepernick pass short right to V.Davis to CHI 23 for 12 yards (C.Tillman, L.Briggs). Caught at CHI 27. 4-yds YAC
Triple coverage was beat (overthrown into the EZ): 3rd and 1 at CHI 14. C. Kaepernick passincomplete short right to V.Davis.
Single coverage: 1st and 3 at CHI 3. C.Kaepernick pass short right to V.Davis for 3 yards,TOUCHDOWN
Single coverage: 2nd and 3 at SF 36. (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass deep left to V.Davis to CHI 32 for 32 yards (C.Conte). Caught at CHI 45. 13-yds YAC
Single coverage: 1st and 10 at SF 38. (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass short left to V.Davis to SF 41 for 3 yards (L.Briggs). Caught at SF 41. 0-yds YAC

2nd Half:
Single coverage: 2nd and 2 at SF 24. C.Kaepernick pass incomplete deep left to V.Davis.
Single coverage: 3rd and 12 at CHI 25. (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass short middle to V.Davis to CHI 14 for 11 yards (M.Wright). Caught at CHI 14. 0-yds YAC

And for the record, the most passes a receiver has caught in one game all year was 7. VD had 8 targets and 7 catches. Props to Roman for generating play calls to get our best receiver in single coverage all night long and to CK for hitting him early and often!
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 20, 2012 at 8:31 AM ]

Hi, suswell. longtime no see!
Share 49ersWebzone