There are 141 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • fryet
  • Veteran
The bottom line is that with the new collective bargaining agreement, players do not have leverage in negotiations. If he refuses to play out his contract, he will get hit with major penalties that I believe cannot be waived. Expect both Boone and VD to report to all mandatory training activities. Boone probably has a good chance to get an improved contract because he is so woefully underpaid (and young enough to warrant a future contract) - just like they aren't forcing Kap to play out his rookie contract. For VD, I doubt he will get a new contract. He is already well paid, and they may not be that worried about resigning him at 32. Chances are he won't blackball them when it comes to negotiating his next contract.

One final comment. Players that sell stock in themselves are not good for the team. They become more focused on maximizing their earnings, which is to the detriment of the team operating under a salary cap. They have every right to try and get as much money as they can, but as a fan who wants a successful team, I view the player stock option as a negative.
Originally posted by fryet:
The bottom line is that with the new collective bargaining agreement, players do not have leverage in negotiations. If he refuses to play out his contract, he will get hit with major penalties that I believe cannot be waived. Expect both Boone and VD to report to all mandatory training activities. Boone probably has a good chance to get an improved contract because he is so woefully underpaid (and young enough to warrant a future contract) - just like they aren't forcing Kap to play out his rookie contract. For VD, I doubt he will get a new contract. He is already well paid, and they may not be that worried about resigning him at 32. Chances are he won't blackball them when it comes to negotiating his next contract.

One final comment. Players that sell stock in themselves are not good for the team. They become more focused on maximizing their earnings, which is to the detriment of the team operating under a salary cap. They have every right to try and get as much money as they can, but as a fan who wants a successful team, I view the player stock option as a negative.

I fully agree with you on the player stock option thing. 4949 Centennial ain't playing along with that. He better start finding new revenue streams off the field.
Its just business guys

No need to worry
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Its just business guys

No need to worry

Boone and VD are the least of my worries. We got two years of them but it makes for interesting convo
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Its just business guys

No need to worry

Boone and VD are the least of my worries. We got two years of them but it makes for interesting convo

Fasho

This is actually expected with a roster so talented like the niners
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by SFrush:
and that's what exactly? It only tells me he saw single coverage and he took a shot.

It tells me that Kap trusts Crab more than VD at crunch time and in the red zone where he should look for a 6'3" 250 long armed physical stout big handed fast explosive TE that is in and of himself a complete mismatch for any defender. Why is that? I say it is because VD is not a natural hands catcher and he doesn't always know how to use his body to shield off defenders in tight spaces to make those plays close in like a Tony G would. I have listed several things that VD does that no other can do but this is something Witten Kyle Rudolph and less physically talented guys excel at. Could be Kap too. Alex had rapport with VD but for some reason Kap ain't looking for VD enough in my book and he should and VD should cone through. VD was open vs BAL in that Super Bowl but Kap never looked his way

Or that Kaep is still a work in progress going through his progressions which he is.
Davis, 30, is set to make $5.1 million and $4.95 million over the next two seasons. The eight-year pro is coming off a 13 touchdown, 850-yard season. His average sallary of $7.4 million over the course of the deal ranks third among tight ends.

After reading this I really don't see why VD has an issue right now.
[ Edited by lamontb on May 29, 2014 at 12:55 PM ]
So, I just saw VD wants a new contract on the bottom line of NFL Network (watching Top 10 teams not to win title, and the lack of the 1987 49ers has infuriated me...), and then read Maiocco's article, and all I have to say is this:

WHY IS THIS A PROBLEM?!?!?!?!

We are getting around $6mil in cap relief from the Rogers release, and we still need some cap relief to get Kaep/Crabs resigned. Yes, Vernon has 10mil left total over two years, but he's been our best offensive weapon for the past few years and hasn't shown ANY deterioration. Now, ppl may go "he's 30yrs old, he's losing speed", all I can say is "when did he show a lack of production or speed?".

What the Niners need to do is extend VD and J. Smith (yes, he's getting older, but he deserves the money), giving them bigger contracts that have huge bonuses and back loaded, which will allow us to resign Kaep/Crabs and keep VD happy. We are getting a ridiculous increase of money from stadium, seat licensing, Santa Clara money, etc., so just pay the guy and keep our core of Kaep/Crabs/VD/Staley on offense, and Willis/Bowman/Reid/Smith on defense.

As for Boone, he needs to recognize the situation before demanding a contract extension. He's been great for us at RG, but for a team with a former 1st rounder w/experience in Harbaugh's system at OT/OG (J.Martin), three experienced OL who can play OG (Kilgore/Looney/Snyder), a rookie OC who can also play OG (M.Martin), and a rookie OG who is injured this season but was selected to possibly supplant Iupati (Thomas) next season, there's no way he has the leverage to demand a pay increase via hold-out.
Originally posted by luv49rs:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
dp.

you say that like it's a bad thing

well, depends if there are two of me.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I wouldn't add anymore years to his deal. He will be 32 when the contract ends and I don't think we bring him back after that. Make a play against the Seahawks instead of getting knocked out by Cam all the time.

This only becomes an issue if Vernon doesn't attend training camp. If he's just missing OTAs, it's kind of a benefit as it will provide McDonald and others additional experience. If Vernon does sit out longer, then it becomes a problem.

Big picture, I wouldn't be surprised if he got an extension. He's a mainstay on this team and still in his prime. But our FO will have to decide that.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
man people are already bashing Vernon and making s**t up about his value to this team.......same s**t these types of "fans" do with all our other players or ex-players.

Vernon is the second most important player to our offense, behind Kap. You do what ever to sign him.

People bring up Vernon's #s compared to Graham or Whitten or other TEs....when Vernon has f'n Greg Roman at OC.

he is in his prime right now... stays in great shape...mostly stays on the field...and is a great run and pass blocker.

if he were with another team and offense he would lighting it up even more. But he has been a team player for a while now.

man, I remember when that IDIOT Singletary chose not to let Vernon get the record for TDs, in the last game of the season against the Rams, when we had opportunities to do so.... just to try to keep Vernon humble... WHAT THE f**k THAT IDIOT s**t IS THAT???

we have held back his talents since he got with the team... he has had the potential to put up ridiculous #s every year (and still did so with inept offenses and coaching)...and should be a HOF TE.

I think he's the 3rd. Gore is still 2nd. That said, he's already signed. Nothing to do. He plays and gets paid or he quits the nfl.
Baalkee better wake up and be good with numbers , and better keep some money for other players after signing Kap . or we will be the Cowboys
Too many damn players we wont be able to keep them all waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Whatever happened to honoring a signed contract? He still has 2 years on a contract he put his signature to, and which made him the highest paid TE, at the time. Anyone short of an imbecile knows that kind of title is temporary at best and that there will always be someone following, who will then make more. I love Vernon, but am truly sick that a signed contract seems to hold no water when push comes to shove, and a man's word (written or verbal) means nothing in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone