LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He definitely can do it all.

Run, block catch. I wonder if he can throw an option pass?

Dude alligator arms it at the wrong times
His hands have improved dramatically and he no longer does the scissor kick jump of a junior high school player whenever he catches a ball.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:

I love Vernon and believe he's a truly unique package at tight end, but like 49AllTheTime, I have also noticed the short arming of some throws. He absolutely refuses to lay out for catches, like yesterday on that long bomb. Just a couple of inches more and it's a huge completion. I really can't recall him ever laying out for a catch. Having said that, I'm not sure I'd trade him for ant tight end playing today, especially for our offense. It should also be noted that his hands are light years ahead of the early Vernon. It's obvious he's been working on that.

not everyone is capable of laying out for a ball. as a former shortstop in baseball i played with a bunch of great fielders who werent able to lay out for a ball. some guys have it and some dont in that regard. fortunately he has the speed to out run a bunch of people and get to balls without laying out that other would have to lay out for just to touch with their finger tips.
Originally posted by crabman82:

I love Vernon and believe he's a truly unique package at tight end, but like 49AllTheTime, I have also noticed the short arming of some throws. He absolutely refuses to lay out for catches, like yesterday on that long bomb. Just a couple of inches more and it's a huge completion. I really can't recall him ever laying out for a catch. Having said that, I'm not sure I'd trade him for ant tight end playing today, especially for our offense. It should also be noted that his hands are light years ahead of the early Vernon. It's obvious he's been working on that.

not everyone is capable of laying out for a ball. as a former shortstop in baseball i played with a bunch of great fielders who werent able to lay out for a ball. some guys have it and some dont in that regard. fortunately he has the speed to out run a bunch of people and get to balls without laying out that other would have to lay out for just to touch with their finger tips.

plus a dude that big and lets face it, VD runs and moves pretty awkward, I dont think its worth it to injure him for one catch. hes had a history of injuries and we cant afford to lose him for any amount of time. im perfectly fine with him not diving for catches, hes a big dude and he isnt the most coordinated so he may hurt himself and royally f**k us in the playoffs if he misses any time.
niners nation just had a tweet, only te in history with two 12+ td seasons.

He's going to the hall of fame when he retires you watch!
Originally posted by verb1der:
niners nation just had a tweet, only te in history with two 12+ td seasons.

He's going to the hall of fame when he retires you watch!

he also probably has the best post season stats of any te all time. i know his saints game passed the yardage kellen winslow got in that miami playoff game that went to over time.
Simply the best. Also the best blocking TE in the league. I'm gonna buy me his football card on ebay right now
[ Edited by kronik on Dec 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Simply the best. Also the best blocking TE in the league. I'm gonna buy me his football card on ebay right now

got his rookie card when he was drafted probably not worth s**t anymore but i think its cool lol
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
got his rookie card when he was drafted probably not worth s**t anymore but i think its cool lol

Cool, u got a pic?

Cool, u got a pic?

no pics but one of em hes in his terps jersey from college and the other one is from the rookie premier with his niners gear on. theyre not expensive at all anymore, i usually bought rookie cards every year until a couple years ago because the card/comic shop by my house shut down
no pics but one of em hes in his terps jersey from college and the other one is from the rookie premier with his niners gear on. theyre not expensive at all anymore, i usually bought rookie cards every year until a couple years ago because the card/comic shop by my house shut down

Not surprised it's shutdown. Ebay killed all the stores

plus a dude that big and lets face it, VD runs and moves pretty awkward, I dont think its worth it to injure him for one catch. hes had a history of injuries and we cant afford to lose him for any amount of time. im perfectly fine with him not diving for catches, hes a big dude and he isnt the most coordinated so he may hurt himself and royally f**k us in the playoffs if he misses any time.

Good points, and I wouldn't want him to chance injury by laying out injudiciously, but let's face it, he just doesn't "extend" and often even short arms it. Still, wouldn't trade him for anyone.

Not surprised it's shutdown. Ebay killed all the stores

ya man it sucks. lot of the mom and pop stores are gettin tore up by online shopping. theres one legit comic shop left in stockton and hes been there since the early 80s i think, hes barely keepin the doors open. i dont think he carries cards anymore tho
I really wonder what his 40 yard dash would be now. He ran his 4.38 at 255 pounds. He's now around 240 and I'm pretty sure he's gotten faster.
Vernon's starting to really heat up.....
Oh yeah must be playoff time!!!
I can't even imagine what Brady or Rodgers could do with 85.... Kap has left many tds on the table with VD.. And he's has almost eliminated his drops
Share 49ersWebzone