LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Originally posted by Beeker:
I loved Brent jones, he was awesome a Niner all pro. But let's get real here. Their is absolutely no comparison who the better TE is. Vernon Davis by a long shot. He is the most talented TE to ever done a football uniform in history period. He's capable of having a 2000 yard receiving season and 20 TD's. All he has ever lacked is a great qb and pass first offense

Tony Gonzalez says hi.

Vernon is more gifted!!!
Tony will tell you that. TG gets the ball thrown to him 150times a season. Vernon what maybe 80? And that's a maybe!! Vernon is stronger, faster, quicker, better blocker, better deep threat plus etc than Tony Gonzales. Gonzales is the most prolific TE ever but Vernon is more gifted. And no TE in NFL history comes through in the big games than VD

He would get more passes thrown his way if he knew how to become a hot read/safety valve for the QB. He doesn't know how to find an open spot on the field when LBs/Safeties blitz. With the amount of times we get blitzed Vernon would probably have passed Brent's numbers already. It's not only Vernon either, all our receiving options need to learn how to do this. I hate seeing our guys with their back turned running down field when they see a spot on the field vacated by a blitzing defender!
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Mar 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM ]
I loved Brent jones, he was awesome a Niner all pro. But let's get real here. Their is absolutely no comparison who the better TE is. Vernon Davis by a long shot. He is the most talented TE to ever done a football uniform in history period. He's capable of having a 2000 yard receiving season and 20 TD's. All he has ever lacked is a great qb and pass first offense

Tony Gonzalez says hi.

And Kellen Winslow Sr., Shannon Sharpe, Mike Ditka, and Ozzie Newsome said hey.
Vernon is more gifted!!!
Tony will tell you that. TG gets the ball thrown to him 150times a season. Vernon what maybe 80? And that's a maybe!! Vernon is stronger, faster, quicker, better blocker, better deep threat plus etc than Tony Gonzales. Gonzales is the most prolific TE ever but Vernon is more gifted. And no TE in NFL history comes through in the big games than VD

You're reaching hard here. I don't care if you throw the ball 150 times to Vernon you left out the most important aspect of playing the position. HANDS! Gonzales has and always had better hands than Vernon and that will never change. Gonzales is also a much better route runner than Davis. I love Vernon don't get me wrong but your level of homerism here is beyond huge. No TE comes close in the clutch? Please. Vernon has been great but you cannot even begin to compare his career to Gonzales and certainly not to history. As another poster said, Vernon is more athlete than football player. Yes he's the much better athlete but Tony is the better TE and its really not close.
Originally posted by MarkD:
Brent Jones ran like a duck. Damn good TE though

And he's just a good dude...have met him a few times through a friend. He's always more than willing to come talk to youth football kids or help with whatever.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

Tony Gonzalez says hi.

Yeah, and those guys, too!

Tony Gonzalez says hi.

Vernon is more gifted!!!

Don't get me wrong, I am as big a fan of Vernon as anyone. He DOES have the potential to be the GOAT. As it stand now, T-Gon has that title. Vernon will have an awesome year this year, and most likely become the 49ers GOAT TE. He most certainly will before it's all said and done.

I agree with you!!!!

Tony Gonzalez says hi.

Vernon is more gifted!!!

Don't get me wrong, I am as big a fan of Vernon as anyone. He DOES have the potential to be the GOAT. As it stand now, T-Gon has that title. Vernon will have an awesome year this year, and most likely become the 49ers GOAT TE. He most certainly will before it's all said and done.

I agree with you!!!!

BJ ran kind of feminine

Tony Gonzalez says hi.

Lame!!! Vernon is still more gifted than them. None were as strong, fast, quick better blocker and deep threat. And those are some great TE's! VD is the true TE version of Shannon Sharpe

Tony Gonzalez says hi.

Lame!!! Vernon is still more gifted than them. None were as strong, fast, quick better blocker and deep threat. And those are some great TE's! VD is the true TE version of Shannon Sharpe
Sharpe had everything Vernon has, except straight line speed.Sharpe was a good blocker and had good speed, but was quicker and a much better route runner than Vernon and Sharpe had great hands and never alligator armed catches.

And no this wasn't me saying VD sucks, just don't think that was a reasonable comparison

Tony Gonzalez says hi.

Lame...moi? I'm not the one who thinks Davis, as it stands right now, is the best TE ever. He's very good, Pro Bowl-caliber, but he's not even close to being "Best Ever", and jumping to catch the ball in his chest doesn't help his case, nor does his tendency to give up on passes.. "More gifted" =/= "better". And oh yeah, Dave Casper was pissed I left him off that list, he also wants to say wussup.

Tony Gonzalez says hi.

Lame...moi? I'm not the one who thinks Davis, as it stands right now, is the best TE ever. He's very good, Pro Bowl-caliber, but he's not even close to being "Best Ever", and jumping to catch the ball in his chest doesn't help his case, nor does his tendency to give up on passes.. "More gifted" =/= "better". And oh yeah, Dave Casper was pissed I left him off that list, he also wants to say wussup.

Yeah, Dave slapped me upside the head for forgetting him, too ....

Tony Gonzalez says hi.

Yeah, Dave slapped me upside the head for forgetting him, too ....

Ghost to the Post...
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
True, I'd much rather get a BJ over VD any day of the week, and twice on Sundays

Me too I really like Vernon's athletic ability, but Jones making those catches look easy was typical. It seemed like Colin sort of avoided Vernon at times (maybe didn't get that far in progressions with Crabtree there) but like Seattle demonstrated in Atlanta, the middle was open and Niners followed up right where Seattle left off using Vernon. It was nice to see because when Jones was filling that role, he was getting some serious catches and I mean every game he was doing damage.

Vernon should get that record, but I don't think it will be this season and that is fine with me as long as CK doesn't forget about him.

He does jump too much... That much is certain.
Share 49ersWebzone