There are 216 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
I agree

His talent is being wasted by a QB who cant get him the ball.

Other than these last 2 games ALex has always found Vernon.

This is true.

well 2 games is enough , pretty soon it will be 3 games , 4 games ..THEN fans will realize our passing attack has not made any real improvements

I've already realized that. However, implying Alex can't get Vernon the ball is simply inaccurate. He might have a hard time getting everyone else the ball, but he's proven capable of connecting with Vernon.
our running game is POWERFUL ...But yet it hasnt loosened up any coverage for our receivers

Now either Alex simply doesnt have the confidence in making those 10- 15 yard throws , or our coaching staff is stuck in nuetral , and cant draw up any plays to move the chains passing the ball .....I dont know how some of you are satisfied with our passing attack , because we are f*cked if we have to play catch up again , and we wont make up 21 points by pounding the ball up the middle
I agree

This is true.

well 2 games is enough , pretty soon it will be 3 games , 4 games ..THEN fans will realize our passing attack has not made any real improvements

I've already realized that. However, implying Alex can't get Vernon the ball is simply inaccurate. He might have a hard time getting everyone else the ball, but he's proven capable of connecting with Vernon.

I'm not implying , I think Alex has proven HE CANT get him the ball, a big fat doughnut on the stats sheet for Davis is pathetic, I wouldnt mind if Davis went the entire game without a catch, as long as the other receiving options reaped the benefits of the tight defense on Davis, and made some plays , but they didnt ...it was our running game that won the Seattle game for us .......I'm a big Alex fan , but he looks lost at times
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
one common denominator amongst our unimpressive passing attack.
VD has been getting doubled every game.
Its hard for any QB to look for his TE when hes being doubled...

Then once Alex throws it to Vernon in double coverage he'll get s**t for throwing a pick

Y'all find ways to blame Alex for everything, Jesus.
I agree

This is true.

I'm not implying , I think Alex has proven HE CANT get him the ball, a big fat doughnut on the stats sheet for Davis is pathetic, I wouldnt mind if Davis went the entire game without a catch, as long as the other receiving options reaped the benefits of the tight defense on Davis, and made some plays , but they didnt ...it was our running game that won the Seattle game for us .......I'm a big Alex fan , but he looks lost at times
This was the first game in Vernon Davis career where he didnt have a catch. Alex Smith can get him the ball.
Originally posted by GuessWhosOn3rd:

Then once Alex throws it to Vernon in double coverage he'll get s**t for throwing a pick

Yeah but Vernon being doubled equals other options wide open or in one-on-one. Alex is missing too many open options and is not throwing into single coverage which is advantage offense.
No s**t.
[video]http:// [URL=http://gifsoup.com/view/3974681/and-here-we-go.html][/URL] [URL=http://gifsoup.com/]GIFSoup[/URL][/video]
I've come to the conclusion (about a year ago) that every thread dealing with the office will turn into an Alex thread.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I've come to the conclusion (about a year ago) that every thread dealing with the office will turn into an Alex thread.

When i see the words ineffective and offense i pretty much know the future of the thread
[ Edited by Allx9er on Oct 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM ]
Originally posted by GuessWhosOn3rd:

So are you saying guys like Witten, Gates, Gonzalez, Gronk and others didn't get doubled in their prime? Unless of course, Davis just isn't that good?

The reality is, every good/great player gets doubled on offense. However, they continue to be unstoppable or we wouldn't think of them as very good players.

My guess is that three things are happening in this order:

1) Roman isn't calling Davis as the primary reciever in his playcalling

2) Alex isn't finding Davis on his 2nd, 3rd or 4th read.

3) Davis hasn't figured out how to beat double coverage.

I do remember watching a game recently where Davis was clearly open running down the field, but Alex didn't see him. I just dont think making plays out side of the play design is Alex's strength. He even admitted that "the catch III" was draw up the way it unfolded and he executed it to perfection. I'd imagine the same is true for the drive leading up to that play.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM ]
Maybe they're trying to make the WRs happy by getting them the ball. Vernon is a team guy and I doubt he is crying for the ball. The Seattle game showed that Vernon could get open but our WRs couldn't, except for when Moss broke out of his route to get open in the back of the endzone.

Alex isn't use to WRs finding an open spot on the field when the play breaks down and didn't expect him to be there.
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Oct 23, 2012 at 1:22 PM ]
Venrom should play ILB
We need to get him the ball much more often. He's the best weapon we have in the passing game. Why oh why dont' we throw to Moss too? He gets 60 yard bombs when we do. Yet we throw to him 1 time this season....
Share 49ersWebzone