LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
big game player

Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch Vernon Davis has eight 100-yard games in 104 career regular-season contests. In five playoff games: 4 100-yard performances.

This is two years in a row that VD has disappeared during the regular season and showed up big at the end...gotta wonder if this is coaching keeping him out of the game or if he just really shows up for these games...
The last 4 plays of our season should have been designed for Vernon going against Lewis or a safety, no one can cover the guy but instead we went to 4 straight plays to a guy who don't get me wrong is a beast but the whole d knew who was getting the ball. It also didn't help kaep went to Crabtree 3 straight times
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
The last 4 plays of our season should have been designed for Vernon going against Lewis or a safety, no one can cover the guy but instead we went to 4 straight plays to a guy who don't get me wrong is a beast but the whole d knew who was getting the ball. It also didn't help kaep went to Crabtree 3 straight times

I understand your thoughts, but vd is speed..as much as he should be able to go up for it, it's not his strength. The compacted field mitigates his advantage over Lewis.
Vernon needs to CATCH the ball - Fixed
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

He's been doing pretty well lately.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Lately yes. But he needs more consistency and he needs to learn to settle down beneath coverage sometimes and help more on 3rd down. He would be dangerous if he played more like TG or Welker.

Lately yes. But he needs more consistency and he needs to learn to settle down beneath coverage sometimes and help more on 3rd down. He would be dangerous if he played more like TG or Welker.

Vd play like Welker? Are you aware of the physical differences of these two players?
  • Jiks

Vd play like Welker? Are you aware of the physical differences of these two players?

This made me

maybe he was thinking of whitten
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM ]

I understand your thoughts, but vd is speed..as much as he should be able to go up for it, it's not his strength. The compacted field mitigates his advantage over Lewis.

Good point. That said, neither VD or Crabtree are quick off the LOS. Manningham and Williams? Those are two of the quickest WR's off the LOS there is. That said, both are pretty small so if you CAN get your hands on them in the RZ, you've got a good shot of shutting them down.

The best option (as a receiver) would have been VD though. That dude seems to always get enough separation in the EZ and he's too big to defend. In fact, I can't think of a single defended pass on him in the EZ. But I can remember a lot of catches, even this year, where he not only caught the TD but had dudes draped over him (GB game). The other reason is b/c the quickest and easiest pass (shortest distance) is to the TE in the middle of the filed. Both VD and Walker were open on 2 of the 4 plays run.

As to what we SHOULD have done was sprint CK behind student body left. Darn you Harbaugh (calling TO) and Roman for taking forever to get that play in (and CK for taking even longer to say "hike."). It finally caught up to us.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Good point. That said, neither VD or Crabtree are quick off the LOS. Manningham and Williams? Those are two of the quickest WR's off the LOS there is. That said, both are pretty small so if you CAN get your hands on them in the RZ, you've got a good shot of shutting them down.

The best option (as a receiver) would have been VD though. That dude seems to always get enough separation in the EZ and he's too big to defend. In fact, I can't think of a single defended pass on him in the EZ. But I can remember a lot of catches, even this year, where he not only caught the TD but had dudes draped over him (GB game). The other reason is b/c the quickest and easiest pass (shortest distance) is to the TD in the middle of the filed. Both VD and Walker were open on 2 of the 4 plays run.

As to what we SHOULD have done was sprint CK behind student body left. Darn you Harbaugh (calling TO) and Roman for taking forever to get that play in (and CK for taking even longer to say "hike."). It finally caught up to us.

Best option would have been a jumper to Moss or Gore running to the weak side...or even a slant to VD or Walker...They kind had two guys on Crabs.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

The best option (as a receiver) would have been VD though. That dude seems to always get enough separation in the EZ and he's too big to defend. In fact, I can't think of a single defended pass on him in the EZ. But I can remember a lot of catches, even this year, where he not only caught the TD but had dudes draped over him (GB game). The other reason is b/c the quickest and easiest pass (shortest distance) is to the TE in the middle of the filed. Both VD and Walker were open on 2 of the 4 plays run.

ya this had been happening a lot since CK took over. tons of times just getting it off and multiple wasted timeouts. we never really fixed that and it finally caught up to us as you said.
Originally posted by crabman82:
ya this had been happening a lot since CK took over. tons of times just getting it off and multiple wasted timeouts. we never really fixed that and it finally caught up to us as you said.

I think its Alex Smith fault for all those delay of games calls
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Thank Kap and Roman for letting him disappear for half the season. He was the reason we were explosive in the playoffs. Kap ability to extend plays and get the ball deep to VD can be the KO we need like the pats with their TEs. Gore is another who needs the mall more in the red zone and critical downs.
Share 49ersWebzone