LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Forget Vernon... Lets sign back Eric Johnson. Dude was a BEAST!
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
I don't know if this is the answer but I think teams are just game-planning against him. When Alex was QB, he averaged 18 completions per game for 207 yards. With Kaep at QB, he is averaging 17 completions per game for 216 yards. Those numbers seem the same to me whichever QB is playing. VD did have more success with Alex at QB but Alex had more games and VD had better games at the beginning of the year.

Again, even with Alex at QB, VD started to drop off after the monster Buffalo game. He had 3 rec. against the Giants, ZERO against Seattle and 2 against Arizona. Then Kaep took over and they were probably not in Sync...

Our wr's have posted more receptions with Kaep in as well. I'm not going to post every game but Crabtree and Mannigham (before the injury) appeared to have a jump in receptions per game.

That is true, but teams gameplan for Gronk and Graham and they still get their catches. I think Vernon is being asked to block more because our o-line sucks in pass protection. We are also a heavy running offense by comparison. And I think that Davis is still more athlete than receiver at this point.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 13, 2012 at 6:10 AM ]
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Forget Vernon... Lets sign back Eric Johnson. Dude was a BEAST!

i think he might be busy..........................

Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
I don't know if this is the answer but I think teams are just game-planning against him. When Alex was QB, he averaged 18 completions per game for 207 yards. With Kaep at QB, he is averaging 17 completions per game for 216 yards. Those numbers seem the same to me whichever QB is playing. VD did have more success with Alex at QB but Alex had more games and VD had better games at the beginning of the year.

Again, even with Alex at QB, VD started to drop off after the monster Buffalo game. He had 3 rec. against the Giants, ZERO against Seattle and 2 against Arizona. Then Kaep took over and they were probably not in Sync...

Our wr's have posted more receptions with Kaep in as well. I'm not going to post every game but Crabtree and Mannigham (before the injury) appeared to have a jump in receptions per game.

That is true, but teams gameplan for Gronk and Graham and they still get their catches. I think Vernon is being asked to block more because our o-line sucks in pass protection. We are also a heavy running offense by comparison. And I think that Davis is still more athlete than receiver at this point.

i was going to post the same thing.

i don't think VD has had a good same since what.... the Bills game??

the team has had no answer for whatever everyone is doing.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for TexasGuero49.
We can't run any VD packages but we damn sure can run those freaking JUMBO packages several times a game......
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Kaep likes to target Crabs. I think teams are doubling up on him too.

This.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
No catches either?

7 catches for 71 yards 0 tds in the 3 games prior to the St Louis game under Alex. It's safe to say we haven't used Vernon to his entire potential under Harbaugh period. (excluding the playoffs).

Crabtree has gotten 22 targets over the last 2 games. If I had to point to anything it would be defenses taking away Vernon and Kaepernick targeting Crabtree because of that.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM ]
  • Jiks
When you only throw the ball 18-25 times a game, there's really not a lot to go around. A couple checkdowns here and there, some designed pass plays, and really it seems our QB's only have maybe 5 or 6 plays in which they probably are asked to really make a play. That could be way off, but the point still stands that there really isn't a lot of chances for any WR or TE unless it's a designed play it seems. It seems right now Crabtree is getting his turn. He's had a solid second half of the season. I think VD could go off any game, but plays must be called for him.

Now if we threw the ball 32-35 times, every players numbers would go up. But we don't because we play ball control, and the fact that our best offensive player is Frank Gore, there's not a whole lot of reason to. I personally would like to see us pass it more, but at the same time, Frank Gore is Frank Gore.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I think vd needs to be more outspoken about demanding the ball. great players are somewhat selfish.

Originally posted by susweel:
I think vd needs to be more outspoken about demanding the ball. great players are somewhat selfish.

Sing killed that personality trait
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by susweel:

Sing killed that personality trait

The most explosive player on our entire offense and we never throw him the ball....
All you have to do is watch a game to answer this question. The answer is that our QB's are not stupid. Every time Davis leaves the line of scrimmage, the opposing defense has him over and under. A safety is watching for him on the back end and someone else is following him on the short end. This is one of the reasons why Crabtree has been catching so many passes. And remember the only team that didn't do that against Davis was the Bears who more or less played an arrogant straight-up defense, basically man-to-man, "you can't beat us" kind of a defense. And, even in that game, one of the passes Davis caught was threaded by kaepernick on a rope between two defenders. Right now, secondaries obviously believe they need to scheme to take away Davis. Other receivers need to step up, not just Crabtree. I'm encouraged by James in space as a blitz outlet - that's a back-breaker that I'm hoping we see more of Sunday night when the inevitable blitzes start raining down on Kaepernick.
I'm a bit disturbed at Vernon's lack of effort at slightly overthrown balls. There were 2 occasions where if he had just laid out a bit, he'd have made a tough but doable reception. One would have been a TD! And this wasn't the first time I've seen him short arm balls. Is it just me or did anyone else notice this?
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I'm a bit disturbed at Vernon's lack of effort at slightly overthrown balls. There were 2 occasions where if he had just laid out a bit, he'd have made a tough but doable reception. One would have been a TD! And this wasn't the first time I've seen him short arm balls. Is it just me or did anyone else notice this?

I dont think he is very good at tracking the ball in air. He isnt one to make diving catches. As others pointed out, hes not a natural pass catcher just a supreme athlete playing TE
Share 49ersWebzone