LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Because the coaches don't design the plays like that or coach our players up for situations where the deep shot isn't there. It drives me crazy. Just like how are guys don't know how to become hot reads when the defense blitzes. Run to the vacated area that the blitzer came from and show your numbers to the QB!

Which is exactly the reason I've been pushing for a TE who can do just that. Vernon isn't ever going to fill the Witten role, he's more of a vertical threat than anything else, what I'd like to see is a #2 TE that can do exactly what you described, find soft spots in the zone, be a safety outlet during blitzes, a pair of sure hands that the quarterback looks to when in trouble.

I'm not sure if it's Vernon or he just hasn't been taught how to do it. It's something I've been complaining about since he's been on the team. It's not just him either, WRs need to do this as well especially in the slot.
Smith loved to throw short, where TE routes historically been ran, given Vernon went deep on several occasions. Colin has a cannon for an arm and targets deeper routes, where WRs roam.
Originally posted by NinerSince82:
Smith loved to throw short, where TE routes historically been ran, given Vernon went deep on several occasions. Colin has a cannon for an arm and targets deeper routes, where WRs roam.

Sorry, but this is pretty much the opposite of what Smith did with Vernon.
Originally posted by GetoThunderFist:
Help a lurker out....

Can anyone tell me why Vernon Davis has disappeared the past three weeks? Does he owe Harbaugh money?

Roman's play calling at its worst ...
So then, the inevitable question. If roman consistently falls short in play calling, and he often does,, we have a communications traffic jam gettng plays from roman, (who I am beginning to think is a slow thinker), then why in the world not just cut roman out of the equation and let our HC be our OC. He sure did that a lot at Stanford, and he did it a lot last yr. He virtually has the final say on each and every play, and I presume just calls plays on his own sometimes.

Ergo, cut Roman out of the loop. Let him help in suggesting game planning, but this deal of starting from roman , going thru Harbaw, then to Kap is failing. Don't believe it? just pick out any 5 minute O series and watch how many times Kap can't get his schidt together getting the play called in , reading the D, and then at last moment, changing the play ....and THEN running out of time. Ok, this is fine for a game with the dolphins, the bengals, or other doormats, but it is going to be our waterloo for a quick exit once post season starts. Hey, Harbaw wanted the more talented rook at Qb.Ok, he got him. Now we find he can't get the late play calls in,, can't read the D quick enough, and finally can't change the play quick enough. This is simple. Either cut roman out of the loop or put in the more solid, able to read Ds, and change plays way better than Kap...Alex....and work on Kap and D reads and play changes next yr in TC.

For us to win the NFC, and win it all in SB, with current regimen, we bomb out even before NFC championship. I don't care how agile kap is, he can't get it done calling plays. Sure he runs like a deer, but that doesn't make up for his rookie mistakes and slow D recognition, nor his inability to change calls quick enough at LOS. Bring alex back to finish out yr and win SB, or leave Kap in and let us pizz away another SB. We got the D, we got the OL we got the WRs and TEs...we don't got the Qb. This is Coach's choice and if he sticks with kap who is NOT learning near fast enough wth playoffs just 3 weeks away, then coach will get credit for literally giving away his shot at a SB with a great team...except at QB. The alternative is to dump roman for a couple games and see if things improve. Right now it is painfully obvious, wth both Kap and roman in the mix, we are going to lose to SEA, PATs, NYG, Texans, Ravens, redskins, rams, Vikes, GB, ATL, and a host of others. Our O system is broken. Either lose Kap or lose roman. One or the other.

Definitely explains why Kaep's last 2 games have averaged less than 200 yards passing and has thrown maybe 1 TD. Makes sense.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
So then, the inevitable question. If roman consistently falls short in play calling, and he often does,, we have a communications traffic jam gettng plays from roman, (who I am beginning to think is a slow thinker), then why in the world not just cut roman out of the equation and let our HC be our OC. He sure did that a lot at Stanford, and he did it a lot last yr. He virtually has the final say on each and every play, and I presume just calls plays on his own sometimes.

Ergo, cut Roman out of the loop. Let him help in suggesting game planning, but this deal of starting from roman , going thru Harbaw, then to Kap is failing. Don't believe it? just pick out any 5 minute O series and watch how many times Kap can't get his schidt together getting the play called in , reading the D, and then at last moment, changing the play ....and THEN running out of time. Ok, this is fine for a game with the dolphins, the bengals, or other doormats, but it is going to be our waterloo for a quick exit once post season starts. Hey, Harbaw wanted the more talented rook at Qb.Ok, he got him. Now we find he can't get the late play calls in,, can't read the D quick enough, and finally can't change the play quick enough. This is simple. Either cut roman out of the loop or put in the more solid, able to read Ds, and change plays way better than Kap...Alex....and work on Kap and D reads and play changes next yr in TC.

For us to win the NFC, and win it all in SB, with current regimen, we bomb out even before NFC championship. I don't care how agile kap is, he can't get it done calling plays. Sure he runs like a deer, but that doesn't make up for his rookie mistakes and slow D recognition, nor his inability to change calls quick enough at LOS. Bring alex back to finish out yr and win SB, or leave Kap in and let us pizz away another SB. We got the D, we got the OL we got the WRs and TEs...we don't got the Qb. This is Coach's choice and if he sticks with kap who is NOT learning near fast enough wth playoffs just 3 weeks away, then coach will get credit for literally giving away his shot at a SB with a great team...except at QB. The alternative is to dump roman for a couple games and see if things improve. Right now it is painfully obvious, wth both Kap and roman in the mix, we are going to lose to SEA, PATs, NYG, Texans, Ravens, redskins, rams, Vikes, GB, ATL, and a host of others. Our O system is broken. Either lose Kap or lose roman. One or the other.

Roman's not the problem, we were scoring lots before Alex got injured. Kaep is trash.
GeepMoRoman happened and walker
[ Edited by Allx9er on Dec 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Allx9er:

lol true that, from what im seeing they use VD as just a decoy, run him deep and slide someone underneath what he just ran. Or their to busy running option plays and running all togather. Also when we do throw it seems crabtree is the only person kap trust outside of walker.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Definitely explains why Kaep's last 2 games have averaged less than 200 yards passing and has thrown maybe 1 TD. Makes sense.

He's also a runner how many yards in the last two games running has he even had?

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

lol true that, from what im seeing they use VD as just a decoy, run him deep and slide someone underneath what he just ran. Or their to busy running option plays and running all togather. Also when we do throw it seems crabtree is the only person kap trust outside of walker.

Kaepernick has been throwing most frequently to Crabtree, Manningham, Walker, Moss, Bruce Miller...then Vernon Davis, in that order. I wonder if he is deliberately throwing away from Vernon because he's Alex's guy. You don't waste a weapon like VD who can burn all linebackers and most safeties and not throw to him at all during a game. He seems to have been removed from the equation.
the rise of Crabtree happened.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Kaepernick has been throwing most frequently to Crabtree, Manningham, Walker, Moss, Bruce Miller...then Vernon Davis, in that order. I wonder if he is deliberately throwing away from Vernon because he's Alex's guy. You don't waste a weapon like VD who can burn all linebackers and most safeties and not throw to him at all during a game. He seems to have been removed from the equation.

Dude, you don't seriously think that kaep isn't throwing the ball to vd due to some sort of bias do you?
He's blocking.
Jimmy Raye is back and making him block.
Share 49ersWebzone