LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 224 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
If Vernon flip flops again I will lose my patience with him. He said he was coming to mandatory mini-camp. Then didn't. Then he said he will report to TC. Now he is thinking about not showing? Seems that he isn't the one calling the shots.
[ Edited by SportsFan on Jul 13, 2014 at 3:34 PM ]
Originally posted by SportsFan:
If Vernon flip flops again I will lose my patience with him. He said he was coming to mandatory mini-camp. Then didn't. Then he said he will report to TC. Now he is thinking about not showing? Seems that he isn't the one calling the shots.

Its this fantex BS
Some stupid sales person got into his head about marketing himself as a brand and probably convinced him to hold out for a new deal to help jump start the whole stock shares BS.

http://www.columbusceo.com/content/stories/apexchange/2014/07/04/where-dumb-money-goes.html

Athlete IPOs. This year, San Francisco 49ers star tight end Vernon Davis IPO'd. Fantex Brokerage Services agreed to buy a 10 percent cut of all Davis' future earnings for $4 million.

^
That right there is already a bad sign. Worst investment idea I've ever seen.
There are so many reasons this is a not a good investment idea, but let's limit our discussion to three: 1) You have limited ability to pick which companies are going to do well; what makes you think you have any ability to guess what any athlete's future income stream is going to be? 2) Even a minor injury can end an athlete's career. In the NFL, the average career is short — either 3.2 years or almost 6 years. 3) Even if the 29-year-old Davis stays healthy, for investors to make money, he needs a giant new $33 million contract (according to the Fantex risk factors), plus he must "attract and retain endorsements, then generate other brand income post career." Again, the thought of most investors getting this calculation correct is laughable.

This was a terrible investment concept, but it's brilliant marketing for Fantex, which describes itself as "the world's first registered trading platform that lets you invest in tracking stock linked to the value and performance of a professional athlete brand."

I enjoy reading what Vernon posts, he is a very educated and well spoken indiviual. But when you start messing with things a little outside of your league, you end up taking bad advice. Vernon probably thinks he knows whats going on, but I'm betting he has no clue.
Classic example of people thinking they are smarter than they actually are.

Anybody have the cardinals GIF where he ran into the wall? Feeling that might be relevant
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jul 13, 2014 at 3:57 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
My gut reaction is to ignore anything florio says or writes,.....

This.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by Niners816:
My gut reaction is to ignore anything florio says or writes,.....

This.

I expect VD there. He knows Baalke ain't budging until the season is up if then. Vd has two to maybe three years left with us
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Of course he is not calling the shots. Do you think it was HIS idea to start the whole "brand" non-sense? Who could possibly come up with an idea as stupid as that on their own?

He is getting advice by people who are following what they believe to be successful "business" formula's, but they don't realize just how incredibly out of touch with modern day salary cap era sports management they are. Not only this, but they don't seem to understand how our new front office operates.

Just as the US has a policy to not negotiate with terrorists, our front office is smart enough to realize how important it is to likewise not negotiate with players holding out. All it does is encourage MORE holdouts.

So if we give in to these holdouts, we can only expect ten more players to follow suit as their agents wisely advice them to do the same.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 13, 2014 at 4:48 PM ]
Besides the fact he's trying to renege on a contract he put his signature on, this whole brand nonsense might work for guys the caliber of a Michael Jordan, Montana, Shaq, etc., but when Vernon retires, I suspect his "brand" and stock will be virtually worthless unless he becomes a Superbowl hero, and even then, it's a big maybe. All that BS about providing for his family's future, etc is hard to swallow when you're already making over $5 mil a year and had $23 mil guaranteed. He's already admitted he got a contract making him the highest paid TE in NFL at the time, and is still the 3rd highest, yet doesn't see how that makes him look, clamoring for more! Frankly, he's probably only the 3rd best TE right now anyway, if that. So, his pay is commensurate with his play. What a concept!
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Besides the fact he's trying to renege on a contract he put his signature on, this whole brand nonsense might work for guys the caliber of a Michael Jordan, Montana, Shaq, etc., but when Vernon retires, I suspect his "brand" and stock will be virtually worthless unless he becomes a Superbowl hero, and even then, it's a big maybe. All that BS about providing for his family's future, etc is hard to swallow when you're already making over $5 mil a year and had $23 mil guaranteed. He's already admitted he got a contract making him the highest paid TE in NFL at the time, and is still the 3rd highest, yet doesn't see how that makes him look, clamoring for more! Frankly, he's probably only the 3rd best TE right now anyway, if that. So, his pay is commensurate with his play. What a concept!

agreed, had about enough if he a no show at training camp,i say trade him so he doesn't f**k up the team chemistry with his selfish attitude.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:

agreed, had about enough if he a no show at training camp,i say trade him so he doesn't f**k up the team chemistry with his selfish attitude.

I agree. Dont give him what he wants, or every player on the team could follow the same path. He signed his deal making him the highest paid TE just 4 years ago. Honor it.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
I like VD but he was play too well in playoff and chamionship. He is kinda not chamionship.

So he plays well in championship or not well? Do you like anyone on this team or should we just import 53 Sam Bradfords?
Originally posted by AUniner:
I like VD but he was play too well in playoff and chamionship. He is kinda not chamionship.

So he plays well in championship or not well? Do you like anyone on this team or should we just import 53 Sam Bradfords?

I dont think he speaks english gooder

100 doll hairs VD doesn't show up
cut him
Originally posted by AUniner:

He is play too well at championship. He scared the Seattle defense at chamionship what u saw it. Right?!. He was kinda not chamionship and little scared the tough defense like a Seattle defense. So I wish, Sam Bradford have our team because we have Vance. I think, he look good a beast. Hope he better this season... So tell me what about u?. Ur turn it.?
He is play too well at championship. He scared the Seattle defense at chamionship what u saw it. Right?!. He was kinda not chamionship and little scared the tough defense like a Seattle defense. So I wish, Sam Bradford have our team because we have Vance. I think, he look good a beast. Hope he better this season... So tell me what about u?. Ur turn it.?

Vernon didn't play great in the NFCCG. I don't think he played bad either. But he's a difference maker for our team. Without him we didn't have a passing game for 3/4 of the season.

My stance on his contract issue is much the same as re Boone. Go to work, train hard and we will reward him. But it probably won't happen this year.

Maybe it's all just a "GEN Y" problem. Wanting everything now.
dave casper. thats the only other tight end who has 7 playoff tds.
Share 49ersWebzone