Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DeUh:
Chris Hemsworth by Joel Rea.

Alex Boone looks just like Justin Smith there
Alex Boone by Vernon Davis.

This had to be done.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Is anyone here really concerned about this situation? We have Vernon under contract for at least 2 seasons (3 if we can franchise him). He's trying to get more money by cashing in on a successful season, and he sees a much more well-rounded offense this year which will reduce his individual contribution.

This will only become a story if it lasts part way through TC... then we'd have to start integrating Vance more as our #1 and that would have significant impact. Right now, this is a total non-issue. Vernon remains a 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, type option in our offense with Gore, Boldin, and Crabtree being the other three. They all are very important to this offense, and Vernon specifically brings deep speed to the table. Anyone trying to discount or dismiss his contribution to this team is crazy. He's an elite TE and this financial problem will rectify itself eventually.

Nothing to see here folks, as Obi Wan said: "Move along, Move along"

Agreed. He doesn't have much leverage and when the fines start rolling in and his "brand" starts taking a major hit he'll show up. I'm not worried as far as the team is concerned but I can definitely understand how this is rubbing people wrong.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Is anyone here really concerned about this situation? We have Vernon under contract for at least 2 seasons (3 if we can franchise him). He's trying to get more money by cashing in on a successful season, and he sees a much more well-rounded offense this year which will reduce his individual contribution.

This will only become a story if it lasts part way through TC... then we'd have to start integrating Vance more as our #1 and that would have significant impact. Right now, this is a total non-issue. Vernon remains a 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, type option in our offense with Gore, Boldin, and Crabtree being the other three. They all are very important to this offense, and Vernon specifically brings deep speed to the table. Anyone trying to discount or dismiss his contribution to this team is crazy. He's an elite TE and this financial problem will rectify itself eventually.

Agreed. He doesn't have much leverage and when the fines start rolling in and his "brand" starts taking a major hit he'll show up. I'm not worried as far as the team is concerned but I can definitely understand how this is rubbing people wrong.

I can see how this process ruffles some feathers, but it still seems to only get under the thin-skinned. This will all be a non-issue in a few months. It's quite amazing how dramatic some people on here are being. Talking about trading out more consistent threat and team leader for missing a few weeks in June
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
i have no problem with most of this statement but the bolded. If Vernon were to start behaving childish like Jacobs over this situation I would expect Harbaugh to treat him the exact same way. If Vernon were to start going to the media demanding trades or badmouth the team in anyway I would hope for nothing else but for Harbaugh to treat him exactly like he treated them, like children. I know Vernons elite and part of 49ers history and a favorite player to many, but I would much rather have a coach and front office that stands there gound if that player starts to betray the teams trust. What kind of message do you think it sends to other players on the team if they caved because of who he is?

This is, by far, the best response that I've seen. Doesn't matter how "good" or "elite" Vernon is, the only thing we need to be concerned with is how our Coach and Front Office handle this.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

yes, I think you´re right. at a second, third and fourth look it is definitely justin smith what we are looking at. the facial hair gave it away
Vernon Davis would have renegotiated his contract for the NFL minimum if we would have drafted Michael Sam.
Originally posted by Heed49er:
If he holds out until Week 1 & then has any kind of injury issue

Webzone flame-fest.

No. But the first time he alligator arms an overthrown ball because he doesn't want to hurt his "brand" there will be.

This holdout shows Vernon now let's Fantek influence his football decisions. Don't foil yourself by thinking this will be the last time for that.
I think Harbaugh needs to shut up about the 49er Way because it is making Vernon out to be the bad guy and JH is indirectly discussing the situation. What if Vernon brings up the Way in an interview and mentions Josh Morgan and others who contributed and abided but were not retained?

I would be pissed if I were Vernon and JH brings up the 49ers Way when addressing questions on player actions.
haha, thats his art? looks like one of my 3 year old nieces paintings except n0t as good. talk about no talent.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Not me. The guy has been in this system for 3 years and knows it backwards and forwards. I bet if he misses all of TC (and I don't think that will happen) its good to get Vance more reps, and Vernon can step in - in the second regular season game (assuming he holds out until then) and probably not miss too much chemistry with Colin.

Like you said, with all the weapons we know have - he won't be the focal point of the offense anymore this year. He is still will be a very big part of the offense, but with all the other weapons currently here and practicing, we can afford to have him be rusty for a couple of weeks in the regular season games and not miss too much offensive production. By his 4th game back - that's the equivalent of training camp already and he will also not be so worn down - like he would have been if he attended TC -- he will be back to full speed.

• JD81
  • Veteran
I damn near lost my mind for like 3 seconds...

http://usatoday.com.sundaytimesdaily.com/49ers,-browns-reach-agreement-on-vernon-davis-trade/r/40687
Vernon, honor your f**king contAct you f**king signed!!!!!!
Originally posted by Giedi:

Not me. The guy has been in this system for 3 years and knows it backwards and forwards. I bet if he misses all of TC (and I don't think that will happen) its good to get Vance more reps, and Vernon can step in - in the second regular season game (assuming he holds out until then) and probably not miss too much chemistry with Colin.

Like you said, with all the weapons we know have - he won't be the focal point of the offense anymore this year. He is still will be a very big part of the offense, but with all the other weapons currently here and practicing, we can afford to have him be rusty for a couple of weeks in the regular season games and not miss too much offensive production. By his 4th game back - that's the equivalent of training camp already and he will also not be so worn down - like he would have been if he attended TC -- he will be back to full speed.

Vernon needs all the work he can get....especially on chemistry with the QB
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Vernon, honor your f**king contAct you f**king signed!!!!!!

meh, teams don't do that so why should players....you can get cut or pressured to restructure. There is no honor on either side, its business.

From a business perspective I always wondered why more teams don't take preventive measures. Such as automatic benching when holding out. Now of course it may seem like a bad short term decision to bench a key starter, but think of the advantage your franchise can have in the long run with a reputation that highly discourages hold outs.

I would like to see what happens to Vernon's brand sitting on the pine on sundays
Chances of the Niners giving in to VD's demands?

I put them at 10%.
Share 49ersWebzone