There are 181 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
It's so puzzling our coaches dont utilize him more I mean Detroit gets CJ the ball, Atlanta gets the ball to Julio and Tony, The Vikings find ways to get Harvin the ball all of these guys are like their teams biggest weapons but yet there still getting the ball. Why the hell can we not get VD the damn ball?! I mean no one sees more double teams than CJ but yet they still get him the ball...

I think Roman runs too much in the red zone. He get conservative at times. I'd like to see some more easy short passes to get VD involved. Even if it's a 3-5 yard hitch at least he is involved. Same with Manningham... seems like a waste to not get the ball in his hands as he is quick like Crabtree. Like I said Roman is a genius at times and a moron at others. As far as guys getting open you can see a handful of the times a game Alex looking to the middle of the field or downfield and then he just eats it. To be fair there are times when they are open but Alex isn't looking there way. I wish the passing game was as creative as the run game because then we wouldn't have a problem getting guys open. Side note. I don't know about you guys but I'm ready to move on from Delanie. Good guy and good blocker but I think we need all the weapons we can get and he really isn't getting it done in the passing game. If we are going to use Vernon as a decoy we better have a backup who can catch.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM ]
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Sadly, Davis has become a decoy for us
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
We are a much more explosive team when Davis is contributing, granted he is doing a valiant Job of blocking.

But we didnt draft him to be a blocking TE ...yes , teams are doubling down on him , YES teams are making him the primary focus of their defensive gameplan , but why hasnt our coaching staff come up with some schemes to get him the ball , and if so much focus is on Davis , why havent any of the other receiving options benefited from the extra attention paid to #85???

I know we grinded out a win against Seattle , but Davis not having any passes thrown his way is inexcusable

measures need to be taken to get him the ball

- put him in the backfield and throw some screen passes to him

- use him as a slot receiver

- Let him run the Fly Sweep ...I DONT CARE ....GET HIME THE BALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not bashing our team in anyway , but when one of our top 3 weapons goes an entire game without a catch ...then the QB and coaching staff need to fix this and fast !!!!

And this has yet to be answered, it's an either/or scenario,
either: we design a play where we use the aggressive double-teaming against the defense and VD is the desired target

OR: we put him on the same side as moss and both run deep routes and force the D to make a decision that they would lose either way (just like I do in Madden )

It seems like all it would take is one game to realize this flaw in our offense, that we need to make use of our weapons to benefit our other weapons. C'mon Man!
what kind of OC cant design plays to get his best offensive weapon the ball.
It seems like they're trying to get the WRs involved more (especially Crabtree), in order to give them the timing they need with the QB and give them confidence when we need to go to them. I think Vernon is taking one for the team and knows that when needed they can and will get him the ball.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
It seems like they're trying to get the WRs involved more (especially Crabtree), in order to give them the timing they need with the QB and give them confidence when we need to go to them. I think Vernon is taking one for the team and knows that when needed they can and will get him the ball.

This is the most hopeful response I've seen.

I want this to be true.

Because you know, when VD was killing everyone in the playoffs, our receivers did very, very little (crabtree 1 TD).

Patience.
Originally posted by Kapshouldstart:
what kind of OC cant design plays to get his best offensive weapon the ball.

Greg Roman!

I wanted Roman fired after last season. Now it's just more of the same horrid play calling again this year with this OC.

Not only is Roman clueless about how to get the ball to his best WR's he fails to dial up passing plays where the QB can hit our WR's in stride letting them run for YAC.
Yea this it when it hits me that we have a crew that only 2 years removed from college. They still learning, and i hope they adapt quickly. Roman has been a issue. and will he please stop that wack ass draw/inside run to Gore when the whole world knows it's coming
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think Roman runs too much in the red zone. He get conservative at times. I'd like to see some more easy short passes to get VD involved. Even if it's a 3-5 yard hitch at least he is involved. Same with Manningham... seems like a waste to not get the ball in his hands as he is quick like Crabtree. Like I said Roman is a genius at times and a moron at others. As far as guys getting open you can see a handful of the times a game Alex looking to the middle of the field or downfield and then he just eats it. To be fair there are times when they are open but Alex isn't looking there way. I wish the passing game was as creative as the run game because then we wouldn't have a problem getting guys open. Side note. I don't know about you guys but I'm ready to move on from Delanie. Good guy and good blocker but I think we need all the weapons we can get and he really isn't getting it done in the passing game. If we are going to use Vernon as a decoy we better have a backup who can catch.
I really don't think they trust Smith in the redzone. There is a reason why we haven't seen simple hitch routes or a simple fade pattern to Moss.

I would blame VD and Harb/Roman on this one.
Greg Roman is definitely in the hot seat this year. We have so much talent and we are still the same conservative offense that you cant depend on to win games in the 4th quarter.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I really don't think they trust Smith in the redzone. There is a reason why we haven't seen simple hitch routes or a simple fade pattern to Moss.

i dont know why they wouldnt trust him...hes top 5 in the least turnovers in the redzone. but that may be bc we always run in the redzone
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Greg Roman is definitely in the hot seat this year. We have so much talent and we are still the same conservative offense that you cant depend on to win games in the 4th quarter.

You are nuts.

Peeps here have no idea what they are looking at. Greg Roman isn't on anything resembling a "hot seat". The 49ers will be lucky if they can keep him in his seat.

Why? The 49ers are not "conservative". They innovate...IN THE RUN GAME. They are BALANCED.

Alex Smith is the 3rd highest rated QB in the NFL and has thrown twice as many TDs (4) as incompletions (2) in the past 2 games.

Vernon isn't getting the ball because teams are taking him away with double and triple coverage. Ya know what happened tho? That leaves Crabtree in single coverage and is one of the reasons he's scored 3 times in the past 2 games. You don't throw the ball into triple coverage to win. You find the open guy.

It's really not that complicated.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 14, 2012 at 2:19 PM ]
If VD is doubled, it is true other wr are matchrd man to man. Maybe just maybe its jot alex, not getting them the ball. Maybe its are below avg wr corps not beating the 1 v 1 coverage!!!

Im just saying!!!
Share 49ersWebzone