LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by buck:
He could have written the MMQB article during the time that he was skipping voluntary organized team activities, but skipping those voluntary activities is not holding out.

The last I heard before this MMQB article was published, Davis had indicated that he would show up for the mandatory mini-camp.

Maybe, he has changed his mind.

Was there a Jamba Juice recall recently?
We need to just extend him for another few years at around the same salary he is getting right now. I think ultimately he just wants more years on his contract and not too much of an increase in salary. He's one of our most important players. It's laughable to think Vance Mcdonald can replace him.
VD. You deserve to get paid the contract that you signed...
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
We need to just extend him for another few years at around the same salary he is getting right now. I think ultimately he just wants more years on his contract and not too much of an increase in salary. He's one of our most important players. It's laughable to think Vance Mcdonald can replace him.

This was my thought too. I think he's angling for more guaranteed money. I think he's seeing the pressures regarding Gore and his near future with the team and he doesn't want to finish his career with a mid range contract.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I agree Vernon is a very important piece but I don't think we've seen Vance's potential just yet. He could be the next Brent Jones or similar. I mean Vernon has made some HUGE catches for the niners but he doesn't "fight" for the ball at least from what I see. I'm not saying Vance "fights" for it either.

I dunno, can any of us say that an elite TE is needed in this offense? Don't get me wrong I'm glad we have Vernon but if he starts crying about his contract and misses camp do the Niners budge? Crabs is on his last year and he's not crying about it. I understand that he's playing to be a FA in hopes of getting an extension or big money elsewhere but he's going the right approach. Players that do this makes me think of a kid that crys and crys until his parents give in instead of the kid working hard to earn it. I dunno just my 2 cents I guess.
Originally posted by Geeked:

This was my thought too. I think he's angling for more guaranteed money. I think he's seeing the pressures regarding Gore and his near future with the team and he doesn't want to finish his career with a mid range contract.

Yeah exactly. He just had a 13 td season. Naturally his production will likely decline because of all the weapons we have on offense now. He doesn't want to be a 32 year old tight end coming off a 'mediocre' season, despite still being an elite tight end. He wants to finish his career with the 49ers and get paid accordingly to his talent level. It's not fair to think that he shouldn't be paid as a top 3 tight end for more years just because his production might not be top 3. It's going to be a lot easier for guys like Julius Thomas, Gronk, Graham, etc to put up more stats because of the offenses that they are in.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Vance needs more reps, stat! And he needs to have a JUGS machine in his bedroom that goes off randomly.

Originally posted by Baldie:
I agree Vernon is a very important piece but I don't think we've seen Vance's potential just yet. He could be the next Brent Jones or similar. I mean Vernon has made some HUGE catches for the niners but he doesn't "fight" for the ball at least from what I see. I'm not saying Vance "fights" for it either.

I dunno, can any of us say that an elite TE is needed in this offense? Don't get me wrong I'm glad we have Vernon but if he starts crying about his contract and misses camp do the Niners budge? Crabs is on his last year and he's not crying about it. I understand that he's playing to be a FA in hopes of getting an extension or big money elsewhere but he's going the right approach. Players that do this makes me think of a kid that crys and crys until his parents give in instead of the kid working hard to earn it. I dunno just my 2 cents I guess.

I'm not saying Vance can't develop into something. I think he can be a good player. But he's not replacing one of the elite tight ends in the league right now. Vernon is a rare weapon with the speed that he has and he's very important for Kap in stretching the middle of the field. He's a mismatch nightmare. Harbaugh's offenses have always been about the tight ends. We can do well with the receivers we have now, but we aren't going to do nearly as well without Vernon.

Crabtree isn't crying because he has yet to put up an elite year. He wants to go out and put up great numbers so he can get a very good contract. Right now he realizes he'd only get an extension somewhere in the range of 6-9 mill a year would be my guess. He's shooting to ball out and make 10 mill +. Vernon's production is likely to go down prior to his contract expiring. Crabtree is in his contract year and he has a much better chance of having a more productive year than the years he's already had compared to Vernon.
Originally posted by Geeked:

Yeah that was what I was think he wants to retire a 49er, so why not add a couple more years to his contract? Throw some incentives in there kinda like Kap's deal that will make him top 3 TE being payed IF he plays like it. VD's problem was his first deal was a front loaded I believe, so he already made a huge chunk of his contract.
Vernon ain't holding out. He's just trying to get an extension.

Chillax.

He should have 1-800-CONTACTS commercial talking about his brand.

Sick of Vernon talking about his brand. Just show up and play.
I usually don't care bout holding out of OTA's but when you say you gonna be there you can't backtrack. Stay consistent. If you gonna hold out hold out. If you wanna come in and be about team then come in and work. I'll be more upset if he does this crap come Training camp time.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Vernon ain't holding out. He's just trying to get an extension.

Chillax.

I think you are probably right as the 49ers have the power to take money away from Vernon at this point. For someone with "mouths to feed" this isn't generally considered a good idea. One wonders why being the 3rd highest paid TE in the league isn't enough, it's not like TE salaries have ballooned since he last signed his deal. Further, he's really good but he's not the best TE in the league, sorry. He hasn't seemed to have been a matchup problem for the Seahawks in a long time (in last two years, Vernon has average 35 yards/game).

It's just Davis trying to use leverage to put himself in front of the 49ers change window that will soon include Aldon Smith and Michael Crabtree. Besides, if anyone can make a legitimate argument at this point it'd be Boone I'd think.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jun 16, 2014 at 8:28 AM ]
I can't wait until his Brand comes tumbling down
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
I can't wait until his Brand comes tumbling down
that would be bad... team wise
Share 49ersWebzone