LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
That's all we need, is everyone wanting new contracts at the same time.
Originally posted by mayo49:
That's all we need, is everyone wanting new contracts at the same time.

I wouldn't worry about it until we hear some actual information as opposed to gossip. For all we know, he's looking for an extension which could free up cap money in the short term and help the team sign Kaepernick. Boone is a different situation - he's legitimately underpaid. Vernon Davis and his agents must know that he's working on the back end of a contract that paid him big money up front and that he's in the top three highest paid TE's. This good just be about the long-term.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Just so we're clear ....

49ERS 2013 SALARIES
RK PLAYER SALARY (US$)

1 Vernon Davis $6,072,000

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/san-francisco-49ers/salary/67059?q=san-francisco-49ers

Now a show of hands of how many people thought Davis was more critical to this team that Boldin was last season?
VD was way more critical than Boldin. What you smoking? See Colts and Panthers losses at home last season.
[ Edited by kronik on May 29, 2014 at 3:07 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Davis can play until he is 40 if he wants. He's the type of athlete that could do it. He's in the Terrell Owens mold of freakish ability and great work ethic.

Once he loses his speed he won't be that good. He is on the smallish side for a TE and TE's can be found pretty easy in the draft.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Davis can play until he is 40 if he wants. He's the type of athlete that could do it. He's in the Terrell Owens mold of freakish ability and great work ethic.

Once he loses his speed he won't be that good. He is on the smallish side for a TE and TE's can be found pretty easy in the draft.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
I wouldn't worry about it until we hear some actual information as opposed to gossip. For all we know, he's looking for an extension which could free up cap money in the short term and help the team sign Kaepernick. Boone is a different situation - he's legitimately underpaid. Vernon Davis and his agents must know that he's working on the back end of a contract that paid him big money up front and that he's in the top three highest paid TE's. This good just be about the long-term.

I can understand Boone wanting a raise, but Vernon has made his money. Why mess with the chemistry of the season for a few extra bucks.
Originally posted by pd24:

The thing is, he won't be losing that much speed any time soon. He's one of those freak athletes. Remember Darrell Green was running a 4.4 at age 50. Same with Herschel Walker. Terrell Owens was running a 4.4 at age 40. Vernon Davis is the same way. Plus you're not giving him nearly enough credit for his other talents. It takes a lot more than just pure speed to be arguably the best tight end in the game. He's come a loooong way since his rookie year in terms of route running, catching, identifying the soft spots in the defense, hand eye coordination, etc.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
The thing is, he won't be losing that much speed any time soon. He's one of those freak athletes. Remember Darrell Green was running a 4.4 at age 50. Same with Herschel Walker. Terrell Owens was running a 4.4 at age 40. Vernon Davis is the same way. Plus you're not giving him nearly enough credit for his other talents. It takes a lot more than just pure speed to be arguably the best tight end in the game. He's come a loooong way since his rookie year in terms of route running, catching, identifying the soft spots in the defense, hand eye coordination, etc.

I agree, he is one of the better TE's in the league and his production last year was key to us getting into the playoffs. I'm pretty sure that if we can keep him capwise, we will. But The TE position generally is more about blocking and jump balls than Dave Casper Post and Go speed routes. I think if we do lose Vernon, we have to replace that lost speed with more speed at the WR position. Vernon, last year, was our deep threat, and generally offenses like ours to be the most efficient -- should have the speed be located at the outside with the WR's. Having the speed be at the TE position doesn't force the DB's back because he's generally dealing with a safety that is already trying to get deep generally, and Linebackers doing their normal zone drops. However, if he was a WR, he'd be forcing those Cornerbacks to back off and give him some room which seriously compromises the run defense structure and the inside passing defense against the slot WR and the TE position.
Originally posted by thl408:
If there's a 49er that wants to b***h about his contract and is completely justified in doing so, it's Joe Staley. He's 13th in APY, but playing at a top 3 level.

For every player that b***hes about being underpaid, there is a GM that must be commended for his work. Good job, Baalke.

I know, right? I hate to say it, and give his agent any ideas, but Staley might have the best case, and next would be Boone.

Besides Aldon and Kap, the only player we should consider signing to an extension is Boone. We can extend him, pay him more money short term and long term, but still get him at a discount compared to other top guards. Now, on the other hand, if he wants franchise guard money, forget it. I would rather he play out his next two years for peanuts, and then we can find someone else.
Extend Kap, Aldon, Boone.
Maybe Culliver too, but I think he is another lost cause, his injury has made it impossible to extend him, because if he plays well this year, he will want too much money, and if he doesn't play well, we don't extend him.

Let everyone else play out their contract.

Originally posted by pd24:
yeah right, VD is just another TE...

he is one of our most important players on the offensive side of the ball if not even THE most important. The opponents do gameplan against him. Spend a look at the playoff-game against GB, three players were assigned at times against VD, !!!THREE!!!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Extend Kap, Aldon, Boone.
Maybe Culliver too, but I think he is another lost cause, his injury has made it impossible to extend him, because if he plays well this year, he will want too much money, and if he doesn't play well, we don't extend him.

Let everyone else play out their contract.
I wouldnt say that. His first two seasons were solid, if not even good. A bad season after coming back from a season-ending injury doesnt have to be a contract killer at all. I would even say, it is an advantage for the Niners.
Originally posted by communist:

he is one of our most important players on the offensive side of the ball if not even THE most important. The opponents do gameplan against him. Spend a look at the playoff-game against GB, three players were assigned at times against VD, !!!THREE!!!
I don't think anyone can rightfully questions VD's talent, but i think its pretty greedy to hold out for a new contract when you are already paid among the top at your position and have two years left on your current deal. Especially knowing all the moves we are going to try to make this off season. I know NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and yadda yadda but VD's isn't exactly playing at a discounted rate.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
Originally posted by communist:

I don't think anyone can rightfully questions VD's talent, but i think its pretty greedy to hold out for a new contract when you are already paid among the top at your position and have two years left on your current deal. Especially knowing all the moves we are going to try to make this off season. I know NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and yadda yadda but VD's isn't exactly playing at a discounted rate.

Oh it's greedy. That said, Davis wants to jump the line on new contracts that could include all of Kaepernick, Crabtree, Iupati, Boone and now him. He has two years left on a deal and is already among the leagues top TE's so there is no reason for the 49ers to engage right now.
  • titan
  • Veteran
He is paid right now! I could kinda understand Boone's situation, but even that I don't agree with. He is just being greedy he knows that he is a big part of this Super Bowl push and is looking to take advantage. Great team player knowing there are contracts that need to be handled before his.
Share 49ersWebzone