LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Hypothetical: Would You Grab Shanahan if We Had the Opportunity ?

Shop 49ers game tickets
no
I think that all Head Coaches deserved at least two full years to prove themselves in that they're capable of turning a losing team around. What needs to happen is to show improvement from year to year.

The 49e'rs finished with a 7-9 record last year but since Singletary took over half way through the season, he should have at least until the end of next year to show real progress.

I would like to see them finished at least with an 8-8 record and then up that next year. I'm not even looking for a Superbowl contender next year as long as he makes positive progress.

So if the question is whether or not to pull Sing out at the end of the year, the definitive answer is NO.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
F. YES.

why so he can try and control every part of the organization, and get into a predictable game planning rut with stubborn habits?

yeah ill pass. shanahan is overrated. he had john elway and terrell davis. without them he fielded mediocre teams that were predictable and lacked discipline.

why are you so gung ho about firing singletary before you even know what we have? half of a mike nolan season and half of a rookie head coaching season isnt nearly enough basis to can someone. especially someone thats improved our team already.

Bill Walsh started out worse than Sing did. you wouldve been one of those fans back then calling for his job. have some patience. you cant go from crap to super bowl contender in a few games.
Shanahan's overrated eh...is that why he had his team in the playoffs so often? He had a very supportive owner who not only gave him full personnel control, but provided the financial backing to keep very good players on his team. I'd agree, normally you give a new head coach 2-3 years to prove himself...but, we've been rebuilding for so long now that it's become the norm. That's not good, folks. The Yorks need to clean house...hire a top coach like Shanahan, hire a top GM, then let's see how much faster they produce a winner. I like our chances w/Shanahan a lot more than Singletary/Mac.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Shanahan's overrated eh...is that why he had his team in the playoffs so often? He had a very supportive owner who not only gave him full personnel control, but provided the financial backing to keep very good players on his team. I'd agree, normally you give a new head coach 2-3 years to prove himself...but, we've been rebuilding for so long now that it's become the norm. That's not good, folks. The Yorks need to clean house...hire a top coach like Shanahan, hire a top GM, then let's see how much faster they produce a winner. I like our chances w/Shanahan a lot more than Singletary/Mac.

Two playoff victories that came in the same year, over a 10 year span since Elway retired. I've yet to hear someone explain to me how that is a good thing. You guys want to fire Singletary (without giving him a real chance), only to hire someone who's been perfectly mediocre for the last ten years, despite having every opportunity to be successful.

The logic at work here is astounding.
Shanahan as a coach yeah. As a GM/coach no.
Originally posted by geturembedder:
Shanahan as a coach yeah. As a GM/coach no.
If the Redskins didn't what him, I don't think the 49ers don't need him either.
You guys need to get over this guy, he has sucked without Elway/Davis. Two playoff wins in all those years, and those were with another coaches team. After the team was his, he never won one game in the playoffs. He just doesn't know how to build a playoff team, his record in the playoffs shows it.
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
Shannahan for OC. I think Sing is good at motivating the team and keeping them focused. Manusky has a handle on the D and Shannahan would have total control of the offense.

Totally unrealistic though because there's now way Shannahan and Singletary could co-exist with Shannahan not being the HC.

Truthfully, I wouldn't mind Shanahan as a GM. I believe the guy has an eye for talent if you look at how he built up the former (97-98) and current Broncos roster. Im still not sure Scott Mc is the answer at GM. The other option would be Holmgren if he wanted back in as GM.
lol.
Originally posted by redrathman:
lol.

No way in hell.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
F. YES.

why so he can try and control every part of the organization, and get into a predictable game planning rut with stubborn habits?

yeah ill pass. shanahan is overrated. he had john elway and terrell davis. without them he fielded mediocre teams that were predictable and lacked discipline.

why are you so gung ho about firing singletary before you even know what we have? half of a mike nolan season and half of a rookie head coaching season isnt nearly enough basis to can someone. especially someone thats improved our team already.

Bill Walsh started out worse than Sing did. you wouldve been one of those fans back then calling for his job. have some patience. you cant go from crap to super bowl contender in a few games.

All coaches that don't make the playoffs in their first two years are not equal. Singletary has talent on this roster. The talent Walsh inherited in 1979 was few and far between. No one expected a superbowl contender. But there is no excuse for this team not making the playoffs.
ABSOLUTELY! In a New York second [twicwe as fast as any other second]
Share 49ersWebzone