LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Hypothetical: Would You Grab Shanahan if We Had the Opportunity ?

Shop 49ers game tickets
NO. There is a reason why Denver fired him..The game has passed him by..
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
NO. There is a reason why Denver fired him..The game has passed him by..

Funny to hear from someone with your username, but i agree. He might be good in someones front office, to help on draft day. (always found steals on offense, but couldnt draft def.
Shanahan is a terrible choice. His defense got progressively worse for years until it hit rock bottom. His offense was good at one time but the league has passed him by. His big talent pick in recent years? Jay Cutler. 'nuff said.
Originally posted by jed_york:
The ownership and Sr management will not switch head coach, Mike Singletary represents the best value and he has been doing heck of a job.

They got a free marketing campaign with his hire as well. It was quite a deal for them.
In a heartbeat...I've been advocating for just that for the past few weeks. I'm far from a Singletary hater...I respect much of what he's brought to our team. However, it's also true he gets out-coached just about every week. You can say it's lack of experience, which is a factor, but let's face reality, he's not an "X's and O's" guy. I believe that's what we need, though, and why I'm on the Shanahan bandwagon. The man's a proven winner...yeah, he may've overstayed his welcome in Denver, but he clearly established he knows what he's doing. He'd give us an offensive identity and direction...and would FIX our OL, RB corps, and give Alex the kind of guidance and mentorship he needs to succeed. Other than that, shoot, let's stick with a rookie head coach who gets outclassed every week...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
No, Sing is what this team needs right now.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Shanahan is a terrible choice. His defense got progressively worse for years until it hit rock bottom. His offense was good at one time but the league has passed him by. His big talent pick in recent years? Jay Cutler. 'nuff said.

I think I'd take him over any of our QBs. 'Nuff said.
Originally posted by mayo63:
No, Sing is what this team needs right now.

No.

I believe you give a coach a few years. I don't want to be like dan Snyder and change coaches every year.
Originally posted by miked1978:
No.

I believe you give a coach a few years. I don't want to be like dan Snyder and change coaches every year.

Keeping this clown mascot / cheerleader / motivational speaker will just set us back several years.

Quote:
1) He's a proven coach in this league. Has HAS won Superbowls, and has put winning teams with winning players on the field. He understands how to run a successful football team.

2) He's an offensive genius. He had that great run of RBs that excelled under his tutelage + oline, only to see them leave and become less than adequate on other rosters.

2A) He brings the WCO tradition back to where it belongs. Im sorry, but this Singletary "Im going to play not to lose" philosophy just doesnt fit with Niner tradition. It's as ludicrous as expecting the Steelers to execute the West Coast offense with perfection. Some teams live and die by their legacy. As adamant as Rooney has been to keep the hard nosed, stuff your face football in Pittsburgh, we should expect just the same with the WCO in San Fran. Shanahan will do just that.

3) He's from the Bill Walsh coaching tree. Nuff said.

4) He brings attention back to Ninerland, and we become an NFL franchise on the map just because of his presence alone.

1)The only thing that Shanny has proven is that he can win games so long as John Elway is under center. With Elway he won two Super Bowls. Without him he's had two playoff victories, both of which came in 2006. (FYI: Elway retired in 1998).

2)I agree here. The mans knows how to put a mean rushing attack together. Can't take that away from him.

2A) While I understand the sentiment, I think this whole "49er legacy" thing is out of hand. Running the WCO doesn't automatically equal Championships. There are numerous examples of this around the league. I personally am for whatever philosophy wins us some damn games.

3) Wrong. Shanahan cut his teeth in the league calling plays for Dan Reeves (for the Broncos). After scrubbing it up as the LA Raiders Head Coach, he was then hired by George Seifert as the 49ers OC. He called plays for us for three years before leaving to become the Broncos HC. Not that being from the Bill Wash tree means anything anyway. Just ask Sherman Lewis (the Redskins OC).

4) If he does as well for us as he did for the Broncos, we'd be consistently mediocre. But hey, at least we would be getting some attention.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:

I think I'd take him over any of our QBs. 'Nuff said.

14 TDs 12 INTs 2,046 QB Rating 83.8

'Nuff said.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
No because then he'd bring in that stiff Slowik as DC and while our O would be improved, our D would be awful.

Plus, the guy hasn't won anything since Elway left.

Neither have we.
Shanahan as OC? yes. As HC, no. If going with a former coach, Gruden would be my choice. Also OC, holmgren. Not as HC, tho.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I guess I would, but I doubt he ever wins a SB. My guess is it will be like Denver where we're in the hunt every year, but never bringing home any glory.

thank you! Do you guys not know his history? He has proven what...? He can win one superbowl, and that was with Elway all those years? I would swear some of you guys don't do any research before you ask these silly questions...
Share 49ersWebzone