There are 305 users in the forums

Adam Schefter "49ers should trade for Peppers"

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
^^^definitely agree on Rossum vs. Spurlock, but I think age played into that decision too.

Anyway, I just don't think Peppers price tag is worth it.

I do as well, but if he's paid for already then you keep him. Plenty of time in the offseason to cast out aging Vets. Especially if you still gotta pay them if you decide to cut them during the season. Vested Vets make their money.

Spurlock is STILL trying to find a place on the team. That doesn't cut the mustard during the regular season imho.

~Ceadder

I agree completely. And if they were thinking of making this decision, it would have been nice to at least see Spurlock used in Rossum's place, or to have some kind of indication that the team has a plan for Spurlock, or is trying to use him. He really has no point.

But back to Peppers: if he came and played the way he played a few years ago, it might be worth it. But right now he seems overpriced and overrated and not at all what we need in order to build this team going forward.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
We should also trade for Adrian Peterson, Peyton Manning, Ed Reed, and quite a few other players as well...but are we going to?

Probably not.
no
Maybe we should do it, he could be like our new version of Fred Dean. He had 14 sacks last year and he has 2 so far this year. I think I'd rather have Merriman though, younger and if theres no cap then we have him for 2 more years.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by maximill15:
why would we trade a 1st, when the jets got a type A free agent in edwards for a 3rd and a 5th and some scrubs? I really would like peppers, but he isn't worth a first with his lack of production ( just like edwards) and his older age ( unlike edwards)

this

I would do it for a 3rd & 5th!
I hope the Niners do this trade, not just the talent but it shows that the front office is willing to make these kind of trades. Yeah draft picks are nice but it'd be good to know that you can trade for a proven player that can improve our defense instantly.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
There is no way in hell we would trade a 1st for Peppers. We are only going to have him for half the season? Maybe for a 3rd or 4th rounds pick but certainly not a 1st.

half the season?
last time i checked we played 16 games.
we just played our 5th.
Originally posted by dj43:
Can he play offensive guard?

wow I love the sarcasm that is great lol nicely done
also dont forget we dont need to be giving him big money...... we gotta RESIGN P.Willis and V.Davis
Originally posted by HessianDud:
^^^definitely agree on Rossum vs. Spurlock, but I think age played into that decision too.

Anyway, I just don't think Peppers price tag is worth it.

this

cribbs and peppers would make us a 11-5 team. we would also have carolina's 1st round pick and could still possibly draft eric berry or an elite o-lineman. this dream is closer to reality than you guys could imagine
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The Philadelphia Eagles have been very good at manipulating the cap over the years, and have not made many mistakes in signing free agents, or re-signing aging vets.

Their philosophy is to not pay big bucks to players who are 30 and above. And, I think they have something to that concept. Peppers will be 30 in three months, and is probably on the downside of his career.

Does he have some good years to come in the future? Surely. However, will the same dominant player maintain his tremendous play for more than a couple years, AND warrant a $80-$90 million contract? Doubtful.

P.S. I think I'd rather make a play at the best SS on the board with the Panthers' early first rounder (Berry or Mays) and then target a RT with the Niners' selection (somewhere near 22nd overall). The Ravens were able to secure Michael Oher at number 23 this season, and this area would be prime to grab our future RT.

Would your opinion change if you replaced "Peppers" with "Merriman"...not for the top 10 pick of course, but just in general.
I would definitely trade for Peppers, but not a 1st rounder... plus there's the added bonus of making Carolina's team even worse by losing Peppers, and therefore making that 1st rounder even juicier.
how about getting us a decent QB first
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by JoeCool031619:
I was just watching ESPN and Adam Schefter was naming the top five trades he think should happen but probably won't & his #1 was that the 49ers should trade one of our 1st rounders to Carolina for Julius Peppers. He said Carolina needs a 1st round pick & That Sing would light a fire under Peppers and he would resurrect his career with us and would be great addition to our D. Keeping in mind it's probably won't happen, I would personally like to see this trade go down but only if we give them our pick & not Carolinas back b/c it should be a top 10 if they keep playing like they are now. I understand he would need a new deal & we have to sign some other guys but he would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

I'd say no at this point because, if after this season Peppers doesn't want to be a Niner, we've wasted a 1st round pick due to him being a free agent. I say we aggressively go after him after free agency opens up.

Correct

x2

Franchise tag or Exclusive Franchise tag mean anything to you guys??

And you guys are looking at worst possible scenarios, Peppers has said he would like to play in a 3-4 defense.

A third franchise tag would be over 20 million. Doesn't seem likely to happen by us when Willis and Davis are due extensions soon.

Don't forget that we cut Rossum because "we're cash strapped" as has been reported in the media. I don't know how sound that is but I don't see this team paying much for anyone at the moment if that is true.

~Ceadder

We cut Rossum to make room for Crabtree, where you been??

I thought we cut him cause he sucked!

Ummmm pardon me but...

Rossum >>>>>>>>>>>>> Spurlock. Agreed?

Now if you are the GM and you're cutting a guy simply because he "sucks"" who do you cut?

You can say what you want about Rossum, but without a phantom block in the back call by the eagle eye Zebras, he would have already had a TD return this season. Spurlock has done what exactly to warrant his being kept around?

Nuff said.

~Ceadder

Nuff said my ass, you realize he was benched a WEEK before crabtree even made a sound about wanting to meet! I'm not trying to discount rossum's career, cause he's one of the best! But as of late he'd fair catch balls that should of been returned and with his age, he's lost a step! I was even predicting that spurlock would be cut to make room for crabs, but even when we had ANOTHER week to keep 54 players on the roster we cut Rossum. So tell me, with your infinite wisdom what you know that our coaches don't know about spurlock and rossum, and why they kept suprlock??? In my eyes Spurlock has the potential to break one every time he touches the ball, and clearly the coaches agree cause he is still on the team! NUFF SAID!

[ Edited by maximill15 on Oct 15, 2009 at 21:17:32 ]
Share 49ersWebzone