There are 165 users in the forums

Adam Schefter "49ers should trade for Peppers"

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Let's think this through logically. Here's the hypothetical..

Step 1: Peppers comes here via trade.

Step 2: Peppers has to learn the system first, and does very little because of that.

Step 3: Season ends with Peppers not having produced much.

Step 4: Peppers becomes FA.

Step 5: Peppers leaves.

Conclusion: This does not make sense.

I rest my case.

Thats logic? What is Peppers a rookie? Learn the system lol!? Bring him in and you send him after the QB, system learned. Just the fact that he is on the field will keep D-Coordinators working. Is there any1 at the OLB spot right now that does that for us? But all in all I don't want to trade for him because if all else fails we can take a shot at him in FA

There is logic on his arguement. There is such a thing as 'learning the system'. Look at the CB Dante Hall. He was all-pro at Atlanta where they played zone and man coverage a lot. Then he went to the Raiders where they play press coverage and he looked lost. Then he went to the Redskins and has bounced back. Why? Because all teams play different systems, and Dante Hall was too small to be a press corner.

I agree with OTC, where Peppers will be lost in our system. There's a chance where he doesn't fit in to our scheme.

You mean DeAngelo Hall.

lol. I stand corrected. Thanks.
No he hasn't played as well recently as he has in the past.
Originally posted by JoeCool031619:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by dj43:
Can he play offensive guard?

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I have said for the last 3 years we are a Guard and a Tackle from the playoffs. Now I see it as 2 Guards and a Tackle away from the playoffs. When are we going to get there I don't know.... I can care less about any other position right now especially trading away a Draft pick for a OLB.

Do you know of any guards or tackles on the trade block? And Peppers plays DE not OLB and had 14 sacks & 5 forced fumbles last year. If we want to be a great defensive team we need to get pressure on the qb..

True, but they will get tired after every 3 and out we due to no Tackle play at all. Bass and Rachel are like having nothing up front and oposing D's are killing us. We need to keep that draft pick
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
I was just watching ESPN and Adam Schefter was naming the top five trades he think should happen but probably won't & his #1 was that the 49ers should trade one of our 1st rounders to Carolina for Julius Peppers. He said Carolina needs a 1st round pick & That Sing would light a fire under Peppers and he would resurrect his career with us and would be great addition to our D. Keeping in mind it's probably won't happen, I would personally like to see this trade go down but only if we give them our pick & not Carolinas back b/c it should be a top 10 if they keep playing like they are now. I understand he would need a new deal & we have to sign some other guys but he would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

I'd say no at this point because, if after this season Peppers doesn't want to be a Niner, we've wasted a 1st round pick due to him being a free agent. I say we aggressively go after him after free agency opens up.

Correct

x2

Franchise tag or Exclusive Franchise tag mean anything to you guys??

And you guys are looking at worst possible scenarios, Peppers has said he would like to play in a 3-4 defense.

The fact that he is being franchised against his will is a big reason why he has been stinking it up, you wanna give up a first for half a season of Peppers then an unhappy whiny Peppers after that?

First off, I don't agree about trading Peppers for a 1st, nor would I give one up. 2nd, we have more than enough cap space to give Peppers a new contract. Worst case scenario is that we do end up franchising him.
I was just watching ESPN and Adam Schefter was naming the top five trades he think should happen but probably won't & his #1 was that the 49ers should trade one of our 1st rounders to Carolina for Julius Peppers. He said Carolina needs a 1st round pick & That Sing would light a fire under Peppers and he would resurrect his career with us and would be great addition to our D. Keeping in mind it's probably won't happen, I would personally like to see this trade go down but only if we give them our pick & not Carolinas back b/c it should be a top 10 if they keep playing like they are now. I understand he would need a new deal & we have to sign some other guys but he would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

I'd say no at this point because, if after this season Peppers doesn't want to be a Niner, we've wasted a 1st round pick due to him being a free agent. I say we aggressively go after him after free agency opens up.

Correct

how about if we do the trade only if he signs a long term deal with us?
Originally posted by Daniel2778:

Correct

how about if we do the trade only if he signs a long term deal with us?

YOu can't do that, remember that's why we got screwed with the briggs thing....we tried to sign him long term and got dinged for tampering.
Originally posted by Hopper:

Correct

x2

And you guys are looking at worst possible scenarios, Peppers has said he would like to play in a 3-4 defense.

A third franchise tag would be over 20 million. Doesn't seem likely to happen by us when Willis and Davis are due extensions soon.

Don't forget that we cut Rossum because "we're cash strapped" as has been reported in the media. I don't know how sound that is but I don't see this team paying much for anyone at the moment if that is true.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Let's think this through logically. Here's the hypothetical..

Step 1: Peppers comes here via trade.

Step 2: Peppers has to learn the system first, and does very little because of that.

Step 3: Season ends with Peppers not having produced much.

Step 4: Peppers becomes FA.

Step 5: Peppers leaves.

Conclusion: This does not make sense.

I rest my case.

Thats logic? What is Peppers a rookie? Learn the system lol!? Bring him in and you send him after the QB, system learned. Just the fact that he is on the field will keep D-Coordinators working. Is there any1 at the OLB spot right now that does that for us? But all in all I don't want to trade for him because if all else fails we can take a shot at him in FA

There is logic on his arguement. There is such a thing as 'learning the system'. Look at the CB DeAngelo Hall. He was all-pro at Atlanta where they played zone and man coverage a lot. Then he went to the Raiders where they play press coverage and he looked lost. Then he went to the Redskins and has bounced back. Why? Because all teams play different systems, and Dante Hall was too small to be a press corner.

I agree with OTC, where Peppers will be lost in our system. There's a chance where he doesn't fit in to our scheme.

I agree. Why give up a first rounder on a guy who'd likely play only on 3rd downs for 75% of a season? . . . only to risk losing him in the offseason.

No thanks.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Correct

x2

A third franchise tag would be over 20 million. Doesn't seem likely to happen by us when Willis and Davis are due extensions soon.

Don't forget that we cut Rossum because "we're cash strapped" as has been reported in the media. I don't know how sound that is but I don't see this team paying much for anyone at the moment if that is true.

~Ceadder

We cut Rossum to make room for Crabtree, where you been??

Correct

x2

~Ceadder

I thought we cut him cause he sucked!

Correct

x2

~Ceadder

I agree that was why he was cut, but that was what was reported. I believe it was Shefter that reported that also.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by maximill15:

Correct

x2

~Ceadder

Ummmm pardon me but...

Rossum >>>>>>>>>>>>> Spurlock. Agreed?

Now if you are the GM and you're cutting a guy simply because he "sucks"" who do you cut?

You can say what you want about Rossum, but without a phantom block in the back call by the eagle eye Zebras, he would have already had a TD return this season. Spurlock has done what exactly to warrant his being kept around?

Nuff said.

~Ceadder
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by maximill15:

Correct

x2

~Ceadder

Ummmm pardon me but...

Rossum >>>>>>>>>>>>> Spurlock. Agreed?

Now if you are the GM and you're cutting a guy simply because he "sucks"" who do you cut?

You can say what you want about Rossum, but without a phantom block in the back call by the eagle eye Zebras, he would have already had a TD return this season. Spurlock has done what exactly to warrant his being kept around?

Nuff said.

~Ceadder

I thought I was the only one seeing things when Rossum ran that back. I have to agree with you there Ceadder, Spurlock has done zero, nadda, zip to ever warrant a spot on this team.
^^^definitely agree on Rossum vs. Spurlock, but I think age played into that decision too.

Anyway, I just don't think Peppers price tag is worth it.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
^^^definitely agree on Rossum vs. Spurlock, but I think age played into that decision too.

Anyway, I just don't think Peppers price tag is worth it.

I do as well, but if he's paid for already then you keep him. Plenty of time in the offseason to cast out aging Vets. Especially if you still gotta pay them if you decide to cut them during the season. Vested Vets make their money.

Spurlock is STILL trying to find a place on the team. That doesn't cut the mustard during the regular season imho.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone