There are 305 users in the forums

Kory Sheets picked up by Dolphins...

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GEEK:
They as well may utilize him since we aren't...

Coach Sing said he didn't have down the fundamentals - or some such thing. Everyone saw what he was able to do. You KNOW Sing knows how this taxi squad thing works.

So . . . yet another blown opportunity - just in my opinion.
no big deal...he was on the practice squad for a reason
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Knowledge:

Right. Because he wasn't on the 53. Again, the fans all saw what he could do. I guess other teams tend to watch that stuff, too.
Originally posted by dust-7:

Right. Because he wasn't on the 53. Again, the fans all saw what he could do. I guess other teams tend to watch that stuff, too.

If the Dolphins were so high on him, they could have gotten him as soon as he was placed on the practice squad.

Obviously they weren't. Otherwise they wouldn't have risked some other team grabbing him.

-9fA
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by dj43:
This was a good pickup by Miami of a player that did not fit in with the 49er offense.

Sheets will thrive behind that Miami offensive line. Jake Long is becoming a stud at LT and Justin Smiley is not only bull strong, as demonstrated by standing up 380 pound Kris Jenkins on a couple of plays , but he is also one of the very best pulling guards in the league. The right side of the Dolphin line is also quite good. They are built for wide plays, stretch plays and quick cutbacks - all of which play to Sheets' strength. He will be able to play in special run packages where his lack of pass protecting ability will not come into play.

The 49ers, OTOH, have bull dozer guards who lack the quickness and mobility to get outside. Hence, the 49er offense is built around power running, not the speed game that fits with Sheets.

I know a lot of people here are upset to see him go but, face it; he didn't fit with this offense. He is better off in Miami and the 49ers are losing a player they could not use anyway.

This is probably the best post in this thread.

-9fA
Thank you.

Best of luck to Kory.

I am surprised the Niners did not activate Sheets. Right now, the team has 7 WR's, and our two top backs are banged up.

The part that is disappointing is that the Dolphins obviously do not think that his supposed liability in pass protection is enough to keep him off their 53 man roster. I'm sure they will find create ways to utilize him if he makes the 45 active Sunday roster.

This is a guy we should have used in the flats, and in open space. Very surprised the team did not attempt to use him in a creative way. He's not a between the tackles runner, which is seemingly all this team possesses, and wants.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by ninerempire25:
DAMN !!!!

I REALLY wanted to see Sheets make the team this year.

He's better than sorry ass Robinson too.

Stupid move Singletary.

And aside from preseason yards and forty yard dash times, what makes Sheets better than Robinson?

Do you realize Robinson wears a big 'C' on his chest every Sunday? He's also the punt protection, back up fullback and third running back. He's excellent on coverage and excess in blitz pick up.

Finally, this wasn't Singletary's move entirely. If you're going to do the 'stupid move' thing, blame football operations in it's entirety.

He wears a C for F'N Special Teams.............That's It

Singletary had the most to do with the decision of him not making the 53 man roster.

Robinson couldn't get 1 damn yard vs Cards on MNF last year........Remember
  • dj43

If the Dolphins were so high on him, they could have gotten him as soon as he was placed on the practice squad.

Obviously they weren't. Otherwise they wouldn't have risked some other team grabbing him.

-9fA
The Dolphins had Patrick Cobbs on their own roster at that time. Cobbs was lost for the season last night with an injury. Therefore, Sheets becomes a nice replacement for a guy who had similar talents to Sheets.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
wait, rossum to practice squad now ?

Picked up by Dallas
This was a good pickup by Miami of a player that did not fit in with the 49er offense.

Sheets will thrive behind that Miami offensive line. Jake Long is becoming a stud at LT and Justin Smiley is not only bull strong, as demonstrated by standing up 380 pound Kris Jenkins on a couple of plays , but he is also one of the very best pulling guards in the league. The right side of the Dolphin line is also quite good. They are built for wide plays, stretch plays and quick cutbacks - all of which play to Sheets' strength. He will be able to play in special run packages where his lack of pass protecting ability will not come into play.

The 49ers, OTOH, have bull dozer guards who lack the quickness and mobility to get outside. Hence, the 49er offense is built around power running, not the speed game that fits with Sheets.

I know a lot of people here are upset to see him go but, face it; he didn't fit with this offense. He is better off in Miami and the 49ers are losing a player they could not use anyway.

Don't get me going with Justin Smiley. The majority of this board was screaming for the team to run him out of town, so they could start the immortal.............. David Baas.

Be careful what you wish for, people.

-9fA
The Dolphins had Patrick Cobbs on their own roster at that time. Cobbs was lost for the season last night with an injury. Therefore, Sheets becomes a nice replacement for a guy who had similar talents to Sheets.

Yeah I read that as well.

The point that i'm trying to make is the perceived value that some fans think to seem Sheets has around the league, is NOT that great. Even so much so that it took a backup of a backup player getting injured before Sheets was signed off the squad.

-9fA
  • dj43
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Best of luck to Kory.

I am surprised the Niners did not activate Sheets. Right now, the team has 7 WR's, and our two top backs are banged up.

The part that is disappointing is that the Dolphins obviously do not think that his supposed liability in pass protection is enough to keep him off their 53 man roster. I'm sure they will find create ways to utilize him if he makes the 45 active Sunday roster.

This is a guy we should have used in the flats, and in open space. Very surprised the team did not attempt to use him in a creative way. He's not a between the tackles runner, which is seemingly all this team possesses, and wants.
I was very impressed with all the creative wrinkles Dan Henning has installed in that run offense in Miami. When an OC can create a way to run a skinny rookie QB up the middle on a quarterback draw with the game on the line and gain 10 yards,
I think he can find a nice place to use Sheets' skills.

I am not certain if the 49ers "power running" game is based on stubborness, or a lack of an OL that can stretch the field to allow for something other than between-the-tackles running plays. I suspect it is some of both, with some lack of creativity thrown in.
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Don't get me going with Justin Smiley. The majority of this board was screaming for the team to run him out of town, so they could start the immortal.............. David Baas.

Be careful what you wish for, people.

I wanted them to pay Smiley. He played well enough.

Beware of conventional wisdom, or a bunch of posters agreeing by saying - you so right, I agree, you're the best, couldn't put it better - and saying no more. How often is conventional wisdom ever right?
Everyone remember G Coffee is a rookie and believe me HE WILL BE A GREAT PLAYER it just takes time to develop.

The more important question is do we get any compensation for him?
49ers were stupid not to have activated him once Gore or someone got hurt... he can ball. I predict he will do very well there. He is closest to a Norwood kind of player. Coffee is nothing special and in my opinion doesn't belong in the NFL.

Share 49ersWebzone