Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Chief
  • Veteran
We should sign both of them.
Originally posted by Chief:
We should sign both of them.

Plain and basic common sense
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
We're in the best position to probably take a risk on Manning; if he's healthy enough, win for us; if he ends up injured by week 5, the (eventual) inevitable happens anyways and Kaep comes in.

-If we're gonna spend over 10 million signing/re-signing a QB, might as well be one that's actually won a Championship game.

If Manning is out by week 5, and the team goes nowhere with Kaepernick while Smith appears competent or better somewhere else, it'll be a bloodbath in the FO.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
We're in the best position to probably take a risk on Manning; if he's healthy enough, win for us; if he ends up injured by week 5, the (eventual) inevitable happens anyways and Kaep comes in.

-If we're gonna spend over 10 million signing/re-signing a QB, might as well be one that's actually won a Championship game.

If Manning is out by week 5, and the team goes nowhere with Kaepernick while Smith appears competent or better somewhere else, it'll be a bloodbath in the FO.

That is a huge risk I seriously doubt they are willing to take. However if Smith isn't willing to budge, which I don't think is the case, I say you take that risk. The potential reward is too great to ignore.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Mar 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM ]
Take the risk.
IMO its not as big a risk as people make it out to be.

This teams success hinges on the defense and special teams. All we need from the QB position is someone who can capitalize on field position, and not turn the football over.

I love Alex and what he did last year. It was a great year and i loved every second of it, but this is Payton god damn Manning. Bring him in and atleast kick the tires.
I don't know why everyone automatically thinks this guy is gonna play great ball. Remember how in 2010, there was all that talk that he was starting to decline? Especially after that 3 game losing streak where he threw 11 picks. Our very own Alex Smith in both '10 and '11 threw for more yards per attempt than did Manning in '10. And that was when he was 34 (and had never had a neck operation). Now he's 36.
Originally posted by andes14:
I don't know why everyone automatically thinks this guy is gonna play great ball. Remember how in 2010, there was all that talk that he was starting to decline? Especially after that 3 game losing streak where he threw 11 picks. Our very own Alex Smith in both '10 and '11 threw for more yards per attempt than did Manning in '10. And that was when he was 34 (and had never had a neck operation). Now he's 36.

Yeah. Manning is the better QB but Alex throws a better ball at this point IMO. Plus he hasn't played in a year. Alex will most likely get better from here on out, Peyton may not return and be the same guy.

I'll still take a Peyton Manning on the "decline" over Alex Smith. Obviously, his offense in Indianapolis is different from the type of offense we run, so he gets more attempts than Alex Smith, and therefore more TDs, yards, and interceptions. But, I think it's very interesting to look at the sacks and fumbles, which can lead to turnovers. In 230 less attempts or so, Alex Smith took 28 more sacks and fumbled 3 more times than Peyton Manning in 2011. In 2010, Alex Smith had about 340 less attempts than Peyton Manning, but was sacked 9 times more and fumbled the ball 2 more times than Peyton Manning. So, Peyton Manning actually does less to turn the ball over than Smith, even though Peyton Manning is throwing more interceptions.

Peyton Manning's 2010 stats
450 completions
679 attempts
66.3% completion
4,700 yards
6.92 average per completion
33 TDs
73 long
17 interceptions
2 fumbles
16 sacks
91.9 passer rating

2010 Alex Smith (11 games played) // 2011 Alex Smith
204 completions...............................// 273 completions
342 attempts....................................// 445 attempts
59.6% completion............................// 61.3% completion
2,370 yards.....................................// 3,144 yards
6.93 average per completion.........// 7.07 average per completion
14 TDs............................................// 17 TDs
62 long.............................................// 56 long
10 interceptions..............................// 5 interceptions
4 fumbles.........................................// 5 fumbles
25 sacks..........................................// 44 sacks
82.1 passer rating..........................// 90.7 passer rating

I was, also, looking at Peyton Manning's 2010 splits as well, and he actually plays better outdoors than indoors and better on grass than turf.

On grass // On Turf
16 TDs...............// 17 TDs
5 interceptions..// 12 interceptions

Outdoors // Indoors
20 TDs...............// 13 TD
8 interceptions..// 9 interceptions
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Yeah. Manning is the better QB but Alex throws a better ball at this point IMO. Plus he hasn't played in a year. Alex will most likely get better from here on out, Peyton may not return and be the same guy.

Alex throws a better ball?

Originally posted by Bootlegger:

I'll still take a Peyton Manning on the "decline" over Alex Smith. Obviously, his offense in Indianapolis is different from the type of offense we run, so he gets more attempts than Alex Smith, and therefore more TDs, yards, and interceptions. But, I think it's very interesting to look at the sacks and fumbles, which can lead to turnovers. In 230 less attempts or so, Alex Smith took 28 more sacks and fumbled 3 more times than Peyton Manning in 2011. In 2010, Alex Smith had about 340 less attempts than Peyton Manning, but was sacked 9 times more and fumbled the ball 2 more times than Peyton Manning. So, Peyton Manning actually does less to turn the ball over than Smith, even though Peyton Manning is throwing more interceptions.

Peyton Manning's 2010 stats
450 completions
679 attempts
66.3% completion
4,700 yards
6.92 average per completion
33 TDs
73 long
17 interceptions
2 fumbles
16 sacks
91.9 passer rating

2010 Alex Smith (11 games played) // 2011 Alex Smith
204 completions...............................// 273 completions
342 attempts....................................// 445 attempts
59.6% completion............................// 61.3% completion
2,370 yards.....................................// 3,144 yards
6.93 average per completion.........// 7.07 average per completion
14 TDs............................................// 17 TDs
62 long.............................................// 56 long
10 interceptions..............................// 5 interceptions
4 fumbles.........................................// 5 fumbles
25 sacks..........................................// 44 sacks
82.1 passer rating..........................// 90.7 passer rating

I was, also, looking at Peyton Manning's 2010 splits as well, and he actually plays better outdoors than indoors and better on grass than turf.

On grass // On Turf
16 TDs...............// 17 TDs
5 interceptions..// 12 interceptions

Outdoors // Indoors
20 TDs...............// 13 TD
8 interceptions..// 9 interceptions

So what you are saying is, Manning's O line was better than Smith's.
The common factor of Redskins, Dolphins, Denver, Tards is all those teams are "desperate" for a competent QB.

Apparently we are not, especially after a close NFC championship loss.
Schefter said that its down to AZ and Denver and Peyton is leaning towards Denver, said Seattle keeps trying to get a meeting but keep getting rejected
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Alex throws a better ball?

Lol
Originally posted by valrod33:
Schefter said that its down to AZ and Denver and Peyton is leaning towards Denver, said Seattle keeps trying to get a meeting but keep getting rejected

Good, have him go to Denver. When he goes down with an injury, Tebow-mania shall return.
Share 49ersWebzone