LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 198 users in the forums

Peyton Manning

Shop 49ers game tickets
This will be "THE" big story in the off season. as an outsider looking in -

He's a multi-multi millionaire - so money isn't "THE" main issue. He has a SB ring and is a Hall of Fame lock. He's a family man and still young & healthy with thousands of options if he retired.

What would drive him to take a chance on permantent inury? Who knows but him.
let me say it now so we can get this out the way....LETS GET HIMM
Originally posted by LBCniner:

Alex Smith > Peyton Manning
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

EL OH EL.
Originally posted by valrod33:
They will restructure his contract

No they won't

Agreed
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

OK lets think about this. Alex is young and mobile, he has proved himself a team leader and is well respected by other players. He is highly intelligent and appears committed to improving. His HC is a known qb developer. Smith has the best years of his career ahead of him.

Peyton is a great qb. He is 35 years old and may possibly never play again.

We can't afford them both.

Had we been able to pick up Manning say two years ago, it would have been worth breaking the bank for him. Now? No, smacks too much of the OJ Simpson trade. Besides, I want to see how good Harbaugh can make Smith.
Peyton will retire, Indy will trade for Eli giving NY the #1 pick Luck and all will be better.

Originally posted by English:
OK lets think about this. Alex is young and mobile, he has proved himself a team leader and is well respected by other players. He is highly intelligent and appears committed to improving. His HC is a known qb developer. Smith has the best years of his career ahead of him.

Peyton is a great qb. He is 35 years old and may possibly never play again.

We can't afford them both.

Had we been able to pick up Manning say two years ago, it would have been worth breaking the bank for him. Now? No, smacks too much of the OJ Simpson trade. Besides, I want to see how good Harbaugh can make Smith.
Agree
I get the feeling that his career is over.

Everything depends on the injury. If Peyton feels he can't play he will retire. His family has a history of problems with the neck. Whatever the case the Colts will draft Luck. Even if Peyton returns. Peyton has said he has no problems with the team drafting Luck. Remember there is a Rookie cap, so it won't behove the colts to sit him the next two years. By then Peyton may retire. Peyton has been amicable team player, does not to tarnish his reputation with the colts, he would more likely like to retire as a colt than play elsewhere and do the Farve thing.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He done
Few QBs can play at high level for long beyond their mid-30s. The laws of nature wouldn't allow it. Joe Montana had a great comeback at the age of 37, but started to fade a year later with a bad elbow. It's questionable if Manning will have more than a couple of years left even if he can play again.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I see an Aikman like situation happening...Aikman had tons of concussions and was injured for a bit of time in 2001, the next off season Dallas cut him. He talked to the Chargers and almost signed there but ended up retiring. If Manning were to be released I could see him talking to a few teams, but ultimately retiring
As long as Peyton Manning plays in the NFL, he will be a Colt. For one, he just signed a 5 year/$90 mil contract in July:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Peyton-Manning-signs-new-contract-with-Colts-te?urn=nfl-wp4243

Two, he's a living legend, and worshipped as a God in Indianapolis. I seriously doubt he'd even entertain the thought of playing elsewhere, and even if by some miracle he did, there's absolutely no way Bill Polian lets him walk. Especially while he's under contract.

And three, no team is going to eat a contract that large for a player coming off a potentially career-ending injury. Just doesn't make sense.
[ Edited by baltien on Nov 23, 2011 at 6:13 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone