Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
Rams ????

I dunno, they might give Spags a good 2-3 years to turn that mess around

He def. gets 2-3 years. That team is in a serious mess with little cap room available to clean things up.

Spagnuolo is safe. My gut feeling is that he's gonna be pretty good . . .

My gut says they will be the Philadelphia Eagles v2.0.

What are you guys talking about?

Well I see it as a good thing if your a Rams fan. I think they will become a dominant NFC team once they clear up some cap space and go through a few more drafts and can rebuild that roster. Shurmur and Spags have been groomed and learned from some great coaches and I think both will become successful. All they need is time.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Rams ????

He def. gets 2-3 years. That team is in a serious mess with little cap room available to clean things up.

Well I see it as a good thing if your a Rams fan. I think they will become a dominant NFC team once they clear up some cap space and go through a few more drafts and can rebuild that roster. Shurmur and Spags have been groomed and learned from some great coaches and I think both will become successful. All they need is time.

I just dont see it, Bulger is in major decline, o-line stinks, d-line stinks (despite investing high picks in it), no talent at LB and DB (except for Otogwe who is over rated anyway). I just dont see it at all, i mean they got Jackson but thats about it.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Rams ????

I just dont see it, Bulger is in major decline, o-line stinks, d-line stinks (despite investing high picks in it), no talent at LB and DB (except for Otogwe who is over rated anyway). I just dont see it at all, i mean they got Jackson but thats about it.

Like I said with clearing up cap room and a few more drafts.....

They added the MLB of the future this year in Laurinatis and a LT in Jason Smith. If they can retain Atogwe and with Jackson under his extension + Donnie Avery they have some good building blocks. Bulger will be let go sooner than later unless he accepts a pay cut (they will hurt from the cap hit if they release him) but he is not the future QB of this team.

Look for them to continue to build up the trenches and add a QB for the future as their next steps.
Here is my guess:

GONE - Wade Phillips, Jim Zorn, Eric Mangini, Tom Cable, Jim Schwartz

ON THE BUBBLE - Lovie Smith, Mike McCarthy, Gary Kubiak
Rams ????

It's going to take at least two more seasons for the Rams to turn things around. We're talking about a full re-build on both sides of the ball. But with his eight years under Andy Reid and Jimmy Johnson I just think he's got the background to do good things as a Head Coach. It killed me when the Rams hired him.

Naturally I'd love to see the Rams get impatient and fire him before he has a huge impact.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Here is my guess:

I agree with that list, except Schwartz.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Here is my guess:

I agree with that list, except Schwartz.

IF Kubiak leads the Texans to 9-7 or better he should be safe.

Schwartz is safe. He is also taking over a team that needs major rebuilding to be a good team, that will take time.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
i just hope cowher or shannahan doesn't end up in Dallas if wade get's the can.

Maybe Shanahan won't...

LINK
  • Paul
  • Veteran
the only first year head coach in any real trouble is Mangini, just because he shouldn't have been a coach in the first place. Look at places like KC, STL, and DET in 2008... what expectations are in place for these first yr coaches to get the axe? They will all get a 2nd season and possibly a 3rd.

I'm very unsure of how the current coaching situation will go, but I think the Panthers finally part with John Fox and he ends up coaching somewhere else in 2010. Asides from that your guess is as good as mine
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Rams ????

They added the MLB of the future this year in Laurinatis and a LT in Jason Smith. If they can retain Atogwe and with Jackson under his extension + Donnie Avery they have some good building blocks. Bulger will be let go sooner than later unless he accepts a pay cut (they will hurt from the cap hit if they release him) but he is not the future QB of this team.

Look for them to continue to build up the trenches and add a QB for the future as their next steps.

Not sure how Jason Smith has looked but all i see are Rams QB's getting sacked left, right and center. Bulger is gonna be done soon, by the time they are gonna be competitive Steve Jackson will be almost done.

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Rams ????

It's going to take at least two more seasons for the Rams to turn things around. We're talking about a full re-build on both sides of the ball. But with his eight years under Andy Reid and Jimmy Johnson I just think he's got the background to do good things as a Head Coach. It killed me when the Rams hired him.

Naturally I'd love to see the Rams get impatient and fire him before he has a huge impact.

I still don't even come close to buying into Spags, when the Rams can have a 7+ win season then i will take notice
  • evil
  • Veteran
Rams ????

Not sure how Jason Smith has looked but all i see are Rams QB's getting sacked left, right and center. Bulger is gonna be done soon, by the time they are gonna be competitive Steve Jackson will be almost done.

Actually while our beloved 9ers have surrendered 28 sacks the Rams have allowed only 18, but they still need to upgrade the talent on that line. Smith has missed a bit of time and is playing RT this year but likely will be slid over to the left for next year. He has been getting better every week....here's a good stat to show how good he has been in the run game : Jackson is averaging 4.9 running behind the left side, 5.2 up the middle, and 5.4 running behind the right side. He has surrendered only 2 sacks in 7 games played and has been flagged only once (a false start).

On draft day I thought the Rams should have taken Eugene Monroe and now I am really regretting they didn't agree with me because Smith has outplayed him thus far and has not been benched like Monroe had been (he since has regained his job).

I also did a little searching and IF there is a 2010 salary cap the Rams would have 35 million in available space so definitely better than the 8 mill they started with this year (they were able to shore up more money with the releasing of Holt & Pace which helped made it possible to get Jason Brown).

I don't think Cowher would want to work for Jerr-uh Jones. He would likely want a real GM or to have more control. Though I'm sure it would be tough to turn down a team with a lot of talent and potential.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pantstickle:

I don't think Cowher would want to work for Jerr-uh Jones. He would likely want a real GM or to have more control. Though I'm sure it would be tough to turn down a team with a lot of talent and potential.

He lives in NC and there have been rumors swirling since he left the Steelers that he wanted the Carolina job. Fox may be gone after this year and there is definitely some talent to work with there, especially for a coach who loves to run the ball down the oppositions throat.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

He lives in NC and there have been rumors swirling since he left the Steelers that he wanted the Carolina job. Fox may be gone after this year and there is definitely some talent to work with there, especially for a coach who loves to run the ball down the oppositions throat.

I could definitely see him taking that job, if it were available.
Share 49ersWebzone