There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Signing Draft Picks....

Although this thread is Crabtree related, it's not about him....

There should be new RULES for Draft Picks... Hold Outs should not be Allowed...

Personal Thoughts:

When a player Declares Eligible for the Draft, there should be a Document/Claus
that states that when and if a Player is Drafted, thats IT... Period... You take what
is given to you... An Opportunity, a CHANCE to prove your WORTH...

None of this Eli Manning Crap... They can Draft me, but I'm not Playing for them...
Makes me want to PUKE... This Better than the NFL mentality.... You are where
you're drafted... Brings me back to Rookie Salary Caps... Earn your Position, and
the Second Contract is what you're playing for... Eli could've been the Savior of
San Diego, could've turned the entire Franchise around single handedly, but NO, he
Crapped on every player that ever played the GAME...

Second:

Signing Endorsements before Signing your Contracts shouldn't be Allowed until
you've actually signed on the Dotted Line... Ala Crabtree... Doesn't need the
money, because he's already making Money... Aren't these Endorsements based
on him being a Niner???? How can he be a Product if he's not even on the Field
to diplay his Talent???? What position can the Endorsee's entertain???? Can they
force his Hands?????

Third:

Can a NFL Team go after a Draft Pick for Damages????????

Teams set parameters on what Draft Picks they have, whether they trade out,
trade up, or stay put... WE ARE OUT A DRAFT PICK... TICKET SALES... True
Damages that are Monetary.... People were actually Excited to see this kid
play, and now he's not here.... Could or should we attempt to go after or any
other team go after a Draft Pick that Holds out through the Season or Regular
Season Games????? I know it is mentioned that we are prepared to change
the language in the contract, and are willing to add a year and deduct 200k per
game until he is signed, but shouldn't we set a new standard by going after the
$$$$$$$$$'s that he's making based on him being a Niner... Hurt Him where
he's hurting us.... In the WALLET...

Ok, thats my Rant....

A9R4Life
This is a free country. If a person does not wish to work for a certain salary, that is his right.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Not locking this, but moving it to the correct forum.
Don't you guys have trade unions over there?

j/k
Im picking up what your putting down.
Originally posted by T83RR:
This is a free country. If a person does not wish to work for a certain salary, that is his right.

I can see a rule that does not allow a player to pull this hold out crap in an effort to play elsewhere, but there will NEVER be any laws making a player play, or refrain from signing endorsment deals that don't even have anything to do with the NFL other then the fact that the players is a pro athlete.

you're right, in free agency...

otherwise they shouldnt be allowed to declare for the draft if they are going to just throw that teams pick away...
Originally posted by MaliCali:

otherwise they shouldnt be allowed to declare for the draft if they are going to just throw that teams pick away...

You my man, are SMART... They should not be able to hold a team Hostage...
The Player delcared Eligible for the Draft.... Whether it be Number 1, or the
last player taken.... So Crabtree slipped to 10, it's not our fault, but he can
swear to OUT PLAY his Current Contract, and make the other 9 teams pay for
overlooking him, and swear that he'll do what ever it takes to make himself the
best player taken in the draft...

As for the Endorsements........ I don't mind them, but hey, if they haven't even
signed yet, they are NOT PROFFESIONAL ATHLETES.... What do you think the
people that signed those Endorsements are thinking, they have entire Advertising
Campaigns set up, Wearing Niner Gear, as a Niner Player, and they can't run them
because he's not a Niner YET.... What kind of Money and Advertising Expenses
are they out if he decides to hold out the entire year, what up front money are they
out... Can they go after him???? Should they go after him?????? YES, they should.

But thats my Opinion... I was just throwing this out there to get a feel of how the
zoners thought....

And..... This thread is Niner Talk.... Not sure why it got put in the NFL Talk...
This is happening to us, not other teams... Just curious... ;-)
Originally posted by A9R4Life:

You my man, are SMART... They should not be able to hold a team Hostage...
The Player delcared Eligible for the Draft.... Whether it be Number 1, or the
last player taken.... So Crabtree slipped to 10, it's not our fault, but he can
swear to OUT PLAY his Current Contract, and make the other 9 teams pay for
overlooking him, and swear that he'll do what ever it takes to make himself the
best player taken in the draft...

As for the Endorsements........ I don't mind them, but hey, if they haven't even
signed yet, they are NOT PROFFESIONAL ATHLETES.... What do you think the
people that signed those Endorsements are thinking, they have entire Advertising
Campaigns set up, Wearing Niner Gear, as a Niner Player, and they can't run them
because he's not a Niner YET.... What kind of Money and Advertising Expenses
are they out if he decides to hold out the entire year, what up front money are they
out... Can they go after him???? Should they go after him?????? YES, they should.

But thats my Opinion... I was just throwing this out there to get a feel of how the
zoners thought....

And..... This thread is Niner Talk.... Not sure why it got put in the NFL Talk...
This is happening to us, not other teams... Just curious... ;-)

you should have posted in int the Crabtree thread.

OK, so what if the 49ers decided to only offer a contract of 200 thousand dollars? Would Crabtree have to sign that?

The entire point of the draft is to remove bidding wars and make it a negotiation between just one team for each player. Forcing players to accept whatever contract they are given goes against everything this country stands for.

Hi nolannonsense.

OK, so what if the 49ers decided to only offer a contract of 200 thousand dollars? Would Crabtree have to sign that?

The entire point of the draft is to remove bidding wars and make it a negotiation between just one team for each player. Forcing players to accept whatever contract they are given goes against everything this country stands for.

Geeeese, it's like having a battle of Wits with an unarmed person....

Thats why draft value goes up 10% a Year... I'm not for Low Balling a Player,
but this is getting out of hand... Slotted Salaries are good, and they for the most
part keep a team honest.... What are these players going to do if an ACTUAL
Salary Cap takes place.... And it's players like Crabtree that are forcing the hands
of the NFL to go that way... Teams are tired of being held Hostage by an Unproven
player.... Need I mention Woods, where is he playing these days, we drafted him
high, and what happened.... He's Fishing... I think, but that's my Point...

Is that you NolanNonsense???? Just wondering from the next post????? ;-)
As pissed off as I am about Crabtree, FORCING people to work for predetermined amounts of money is not acceptable. You can do all you want to set up a system that rewards rookies for signing, but that's as far as you should go.