There are 205 users in the forums

Shawne Merriman may be available

Shop 49ers game tickets
It would definitely help our non existant pass rush. Get it done.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Doesn't the fact that Merriman was dominant on roids concern anyone else? He's not the same player without roids...and if there's proof that he choked Tila Tequila, then he could be suspended. Either way, he just sounds like trouble.

He got 12.5 sacks "without roids."

I'd definitely take that over the 3.5 or so sacks that Lawson is likely to bring.
No way McCloughan trades for him, McCloughan won't take risk's on top tier players who are in the last years of their contract.

I would also assume a 2nd round would do it.
We need a pass rush badly... we have for 6 years plus.... trade for him... Give up a 2nd or 3rd/4th plus player...

Do it now while his value is lower due to his off field problems and coming back from surgery.... The niners need to take advantage....
Originally posted by fc0828:
We need a pass rush badly... we have for 6 years plus.... trade for him... Give up a 2nd or 3rd/4th plus player...

Do it now while his value is lower due to his off field problems and coming back from surgery.... The niners need to take advantage....

Damn, I say we should jump on this! Offer them a 2nd rounder. Merriman may like staying on the west coast & we have his old defensive co-ordinator. This guy could come in & make our defense top 5 immediately! Hey Scotty make the call!
Originally posted by tohara3:
I say we start talking to the Chargers now & offer them a second round pick. This guy could make our defense elite in a hurry. Plus he make like being reunited with his old defensive co-ordinator. Hey Scotty, make it happen!

Manusky was not a defensive coordinator in San Diego. He was just a linebackers coach.
He sat out all last season with torn knee ligaments, he's tested positive for steroids, he just had an incident with his girlfriend; I don't know, it all adds up to me that he could have his career suddenly slammed shut with another positive test or God knows what else. Sure I'd love to have him on the team, but I sure wouldn't offer very much in return as his career could go for another decade (extremely doubtful) or it could end before the end of the month (not altogether unlikely).
if he's available we should definitely look into it. We should probably wait a few weeks to see how his knee is holding up though. Somehow I have a hard time believing that we'll get him for just a 2nd, though.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I don't know if i'd give up a first rounder to guy who's coming off major knee surgery, steroids and has anger issues.

Probably a 3rd...

-9fA

And that type of lowballing is exactly why guys end up going to other teams and lighting it up while we sit here still in need of a player at that position. I swear some of you people act like we're great at drafting players. We've tried to address the pass rush in the draft and we've failed miserably.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Sep 7, 2009 at 16:13:59 ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
not against it, but if its for a 1st or 2nd, hell no, guys knees arent in the best condition.

Rather wait and see if Peppers becomes available.

Gore's knees weren't in the best condition when we drafted him, either. Look how that turned out.

As for Peppers, we don't even know if he can stand up and play OLB in a 3-4. Merriman is already proven.

Originally posted by 49erRider:
not against it, but if its for a 1st or 2nd, hell no, guys knees arent in the best condition.

Gore's knees weren't in the best condition when we drafted him, either. Look how that turned out.

As for Peppers, we don't even know if he can stand up and play OLB in a 3-4. Merriman is already proven.

I would definitely rather have Merriman than Peppers, but I agree with AB that what we're likely going to have to give up to get him is going to be pretty pricey, plus we'll have to resign him after this season.

We should look into it, for sure, if he's available. But if the Pats got a 1st for an aging Seymour, the Chargers will want quite a bit for Merriman.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by pwilly52:
Never mind. Found it. All I can say is Sweet Jesus

No wonder he got wrecked by Maurice Jones Drew.

wasnt it said before that they just put merriman's face on jammal williams body?? maybe im wrong but if i am damn what a huge difference roids makes

The first pic looks photoshopped for sure. Look at the collar area, it's all blurry for some reason (gee, I wonder why). Merriman looked just as big as he always has when we played San Diego on Friday.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

I would definitely rather have Merriman than Peppers, but I agree with AB that what we're likely going to have to give up to get him is going to be pretty pricey, plus we'll have to resign him after this season.

We should look into it, for sure, if he's available. But if the Pats got a 1st for an aging Seymour, the Chargers will want quite a bit for Merriman.

I agree they will want a lot for Merriman because of the idiot raiders making that trade for Seymour, but I'd do it anyway. We don't have Bill Walsh drafting for us like back in the day. If we did, I'd say our draft picks would be a lot more valuable than they are at the moment. We aren't exactly known for drafting top-notch NFL talent. We might as well trade for it instead!

Which is why i said, give for a 3rd. I would consider a 2nd.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Which is why i said, give for a 3rd. I would consider a 2nd.

-9fA

Which is why I responded by saying that type of lowballing is the reason we never acquire any major talent and the guys end up going elswhere while we continue looking for a solution to our problems. Merriman is a big-time contributor, it's highly unlikely the Chargers would trade him for a 3rd round pick. A 2nd rounder is obviously a better offer, but I doubt they'd take it after the raiders traded away a first rounder for a less-productive, older pass rusher. I think offering them a 2nd wouldn't be a bad idea, but when they turn it down, we need to up the ante.
Share 49ersWebzone