There are 240 users in the forums

Did anyone hear Adam Shefter?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Mospeed:
Originally posted by pwilly52:
I may be closed minded, but I don't exactly see how having receivers makes us better at running because I'm pretty sure that it's the running backs who do the running and not the wide receivers. Yes, I'm sure that teams would be frightened if we had four talented receivers and no one to pass them the ball (I'm not trying to start a Hill VS. Smith argument here, I'm just saying). We are a run first team. Gore is running the show out there. It will be nice to have Bruce, Morgan, (maybe) Vernon, and (again, maybe) Crabtree in instances when we need to pass the ball, but with our type of offense I don't see how Marshall would benefit. He's a top-5 receiver with 104 receptions for 1200-something yards. He would get no where near those numbers here. Thus, he probably won't want to play for us here.

Also, I bolded something. They had Mike Shanahan. We have Mike Singletary. They had Jay Cutler. We have Shaun Hill and Alex Smith. Maybe he'd benefit from a better environment, I don't know, but as of now we should stay away.
P.S. He's making 2.4 million this year, I don't know where you got the 400k figure from.
P.P.S Yes we don't have Crabtree, and we can't trade his rights, which I believe was the proposed idea to get Marshall. As of now, this thread is how Brandon Marshall is good and how he should come here just because.
I don't think you're getting the situation. Marshall isn't going to get those numbers in Denver either, he's done with them so he now just wants a fresh start somewhere else. He'd rather get lesser numbers from another team than get them from the team he pour his heart and soul out to only so they can dick him over.

Also, I don't have any genuine proposed ideas on how to get him and I'm glad to hear the opposed opinions but I just felt like throwing the idea out there. Sorry if I hit some sort of irritation nerve on my fellow 49er fans.

You haven't irritated me at all. Frankly, I just like debating this. This is a receiver who wants attention and big money because he knows he is good. I'm just saying that I don't think he'd want to come to a run-first team when he is a legitimate #1 receiver and option on a passing team. He obviously won't get last year's numbers in Denver with Orton behind center, but I don't think he would get them here either, and that's something he wants because he knows with big numbers comes a big payday. But I suggest (not to be obnoxious) that you look at the video posted in the other Brandon Marshall thread. He's unhappy, so he's acting like a little b***h during practice. I'm sorry? Are you 9 years old or a grown man. I can understand he's upset, but really grow up. It was really funny to watch though
[ Edited by pwilly52 on Aug 28, 2009 at 4:24 PM ]
Yeah but why stick to the notion of being a run first team? And who's to say that having a group of elite wide receivers wouldn't make us a better running team? As of right now we don't have Michael Crabtree and from the looks of it it doesn't look like were going to have him at all.

In my opinion one of the dumbest ideas that Mike Nolan brought to this organization was his idea that he would only draft or picked up players with a quality personality; just look back at all of the players that he passed up because of his idiotic sentiment.

If you really look at Brandon Marshall's situation it should be obvious as to why he's doing what he's doing. He's being paid $400,000 this year, he lost the head coach that made him into the receiver he is today, he lost the quarterback that made them into who he is today, he requested a raise and was denied and is now looking at a lose-lose situation. Even if he plays this year for the Broncos it's unlikely that he'll put up the same numbers he's put up in the last two years. If he were to get a contract extension today he'd be paid what you'd expect your typical 200 reception 2600 yard [in two years] receiver to get which would be a crap load of money. now after he lost everything they lost he's fully aware that his numbers will drop and subsequently so will his next contract.

So it's now obvious to him that Denver isn't the place to be and because of this he wants out. It's not as complex as it seems, if you just take everything that's happened so far into account then it should clear up the reasons as to why he's acting like the jerk that he is, he just wants out of Denver.

I may be closed minded, but I don't exactly see how having receivers makes us better at running because I'm pretty sure that it's the running backs who do the running and not the wide receivers. Yes, I'm sure that teams would be frightened if we had four talented receivers and no one to pass them the ball (I'm not trying to start a Hill VS. Smith argument here, I'm just saying). We are a run first team. Gore is running the show out there. It will be nice to have Bruce, Morgan, (maybe) Vernon, and (again, maybe) Crabtree in instances when we need to pass the ball, but with our type of offense I don't see how Marshall would benefit. He's a top-5 receiver with 104 receptions for 1200-something yards. He would get no where near those numbers here. Thus, he probably won't want to play for us here.

Also, I bolded something. They had Mike Shanahan. We have Mike Singletary. They had Jay Cutler. We have Shaun Hill and Alex Smith. Maybe he'd benefit from a better environment, I don't know, but as of now we should stay away.
P.S. He's making 2.4 million this year, I don't know where you got the 400k figure from.
P.P.S Yes we don't have Crabtree, and we can't trade his rights, which I believe was the proposed idea to get Marshall. As of now, this thread is how Brandon Marshall is good and how he should come here just because.

Simply put. NO STACKING THE BOX!!!!

But crabtree would probally not sign if that happens
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
swap Crabtree and a pick for Marshall
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Yeah but why stick to the notion of being a run first team? And who's to say that having a group of elite wide receivers wouldn't make us a better running team? As of right now we don't have Michael Crabtree and from the looks of it it doesn't look like were going to have him at all.

In my opinion one of the dumbest ideas that Mike Nolan brought to this organization was his idea that he would only draft or picked up players with a quality personality; just look back at all of the players that he passed up because of his idiotic sentiment.

If you really look at Brandon Marshall's situation it should be obvious as to why he's doing what he's doing. He's being paid $400,000 this year, he lost the head coach that made him into the receiver he is today, he lost the quarterback that made them into who he is today, he requested a raise and was denied and is now looking at a lose-lose situation. Even if he plays this year for the Broncos it's unlikely that he'll put up the same numbers he's put up in the last two years. If he were to get a contract extension today he'd be paid what you'd expect your typical 200 reception 2600 yard [in two years] receiver to get which would be a crap load of money. now after he lost everything they lost he's fully aware that his numbers will drop and subsequently so will his next contract.

So it's now obvious to him that Denver isn't the place to be and because of this he wants out. It's not as complex as it seems, if you just take everything that's happened so far into account then it should clear up the reasons as to why he's acting like the jerk that he is, he just wants out of Denver.

Simply put. NO STACKING THE BOX!!!!

But crabtree would probally not sign if that happens

also, we would have 2 physical WRs. and if you put battle in the slot they have to go nickel, and our WRs will punish them with blocks.

also, with marshall we have the perfect offense for a shaun hill type QB. he puts the ball in a spot so you can get RAC, and we would have 2 WRS that are RAc orientated.

i am not for getting marshall, but i can definatly see the desire for him. he is just so close to getting the adam jones/mike vick/ burress treatment.
Mort’s contention that Mike Shanahan intended to cut Brandon Marshall this offseason was a bombshell.

He and Chris Mortensen were discussing possible landing spots for WRs this off-season. He predicted Broncos WR Brandon Marshall would be traded to the 49ers by using one of our 1st RD picks! I doubt it, but... Can you imagine?

[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 20, 2009 at 09:24:53 ]
Yup saw it, that would be crazy if we got him. Only thing is are there enough balls to spread around for everyone?
I think Shefter needs to lay off the crack pipe.
  • NY49er
  • Info N/A
Why Marshall? We have good recievers and with so many needs on our lines and dbs it makes no sense. Plus possible character issues linger with him.
  • NY49er
  • Info N/A
The ESPN analysts just say things to cover air time. Unlike us who pay attention to one team, they are spread thin among the entire league so they make these dumb quotes that we as 49ers fans realize don't make much sense.

Wow, so much for being a running team
I heard it. That would be nice, but I really don't see that happening.
Originally posted by PTulini:
He and Chris Mortensen were discussing possible landing spots for WRs this off-season. He predicted Broncos WR Brandon Marshall would be traded to the 49ers by using one of our 1st RD picks! I doubt it, but... Can you imagine?

I doubt it to, we have other more pressing needs than WR.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Originally posted by PTulini:

I doubt it to, we have other more pressing needs than WR.

Would be nice, but they'd want Crabs probably. If we could successfully address the line problems and/or DB problems in FA, I would be all for it.
Share 49ersWebzone