LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 202 users in the forums

Top 50 CBs in the NFL - Did Clements Make the list?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
That list is a complete joke. I haven't even heard of half of the guys in the top 10.

These 'stats' dont have any info on tackles, forced fumbles...... Last I checked thats half the battle on defense
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
That list is a complete joke. I haven't even heard of half of the guys in the top 10.

Can I interest you in a cigarette?
I love how 3 raiders corners are on that list. I would love too see the same stats but only while your team is actually winning the game at the time. It would would also be nice to see what the stats looked like when a QB has longer than 4 seconds to throw the ball. I feel comfortable anytime Clements is listed next to Champ Bailey on any list.
this list is about percentages. what you do when the ball is thrown your way. nobody and i mean nobody wants to even challenge namdi. i watch every niner game and its always the same. nate gets burned plain and simple. stops his feet, gets caught staring in the backfield, bites on double moves, everything nfl corners are NOT supposed to do. remember he got lit up by chris chambers for like 200 yds when he was with the bills. chris chambers couldnt light up his fireplace with a flame thrower. sure nate causes fumbles after he's burned and he's good against the run, but for the money? nope. i'd rather have monty montgomery back. j/k.
I'm too tired to figure out the logic used in this CB comparison, but feel obligated to note that, based on the fact that I watch football, these rankings make no sense to me whatsoever.
While Nates contract was too much, we need players and he is a baller. When you are a team trying go rebuild you over pay for players, and not landing Nate would have been a mistake. His contract is justified.

Champ had a down year last year, but so did the entire Broncos team. We brought Nate in to take on big physical WRs in our division (we all know who), and that alone he has earned his pay.

He will struggle against quicker technically sound WRs, but if we were to have an NFL redraft, Nate would be among the top ten corners selected.
Originally posted by Overkill:
So... Three of the top 11 CB's play for the Raiders?

lol, I noticed the same thing. 3 of the top 11 in whole league, that is just hilarious.

Raiders nickel back is apparently better then Asante Samuel... There are some really stupid football nerds out there that rely way too much on number crunching.

Not to mention YPA scews one thing big time, lack of safety coverage over the top. Of course a guy like Champ Bailey is going to have a high YPA, the only time anyone throws to him is when he gets beat deep when he is all alone. But to say Champ isn't one of the top 50 CBs, beyond stupid.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Aug 13, 2009 at 10:37 PM ]
That list shows that a computer just prints out a list based on parameters. A human, with a brain, looking at the list can see that there is no Nate, no Champ, and that there are 3 Raiders in the top 10.

There are lies
There are damn lies
And then there are statistics

Nate is a solid CB and I'm glad we have him, he's a huge liability against the deep ball. He consistantly gets beat deep. Even in training camp, he's still giving up big plays.

People like to blame our safeties, but you have to point the finger at Nate. He's a tough, well rounded corner, but IMO, that's a big hole in his game.

Originally posted by strickac:
Nate is a solid CB and I'm glad we have him, he's a huge liability against the deep ball. He consistantly gets beat deep. Even in training camp, he's still giving up big plays.

People like to blame our safeties, but you have to point the finger at Nate. He's a tough, well rounded corner, but IMO, that's a big hole in his game.

Dude has a tendancy to get a little brash. He's lost a step or two or three and forgets it...a lot.

The list is bast. Spencer is def top 50, and so is Clements. Thats like saying eervy team has 1 1/2 CBS better that These guys. Just not true
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jones49:

The list is bast. Spencer is def top 50, and so is Clements. Thats like saying eervy team has 1 1/2 CBS better that These guys. Just not true

Borderline top 50, both Clements and Spencer, however we have had a horrible pass rush lately, so hopefully aldon smith will fix that
does this list take into account that the raiders db's numbers are inflated because they get run on constantaly? probably not.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Not fair to judge him on last season because he had no safety help and nolan didnt have an effective pass rvsh for the 7 games he was here. im not going to say hes in namdi's league but hes not as bad as the numbers indicate. hes maybe the only guy who played well vs fitz all year, AND he did it in single coverage.

he got burned alot right off the bat too. not just 5 seconds later
Share 49ersWebzone