LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

Patriots make a trade with Raiders!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KRS-1:
The Raiders trade a 31 year old player who is no longer in his prime and has never played in a 3-4 in the NFL for a 3rd and a 4th or 5th rounder and it's a fail ?

The guy did not want to be on this team anymore and they took what seemingly was the best offer on the table for a player who has missed 8 games the last 2 years and produced only 12 sacks in that time frame whereas his first 2 years with Oakland he had 27 sacks. Do you truly think they could have gotten any more for him ?

Once again people here hate on the Raiders just because when in fact the Raiders got excellent value in this deal regardless of whether Burgess resurrects his career with the Pats or not. Hate on me all you want for defending them but I call it like I see it.

3rd and 5th round picks seem like good value, but I think the Pats are gonna come away with the better end of this deal. This kinda reminds me of the Randy Moss trade, where Moss seemed like he was gonna be on the downside of his career, then next thing you know hes lighting up the stat charts. Burgess may seem like hes on the downside of his career, but I think the coahing of Pepper Johnson and the veterans on defense will help pick him back up. Burgess paired with Adalius Thomas looks to be pretty scary, that's IF thomas can return to his '06 form.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
The Raiders trade a 31 year old player who is no longer in his prime and has never played in a 3-4 in the NFL for a 3rd and a 4th or 5th rounder and it's a fail ?

The guy did not want to be on this team anymore and they took what seemingly was the best offer on the table for a player who has missed 8 games the last 2 years and produced only 12 sacks in that time frame whereas his first 2 years with Oakland he had 27 sacks. Do you truly think they could have gotten any more for him ?

Once again people here hate on the Raiders just because when in fact the Raiders got excellent value in this deal regardless of whether Burgess resurrects his career with the Pats or not. Hate on me all you want for defending them but I call it like I see it.

3rd and 5th round picks seem like good value, but I think the Pats are gonna come away with the better end of this deal. This kinda reminds me of the Randy Moss trade, where Moss seemed like he was gonna be on the downside of his career, then next thing you know hes lighting up the stat charts. Burgess may seem like hes on the downside of his career, but I think the coahing of Pepper Johnson and the veterans on defense will help pick him back up. Burgess paired with Adalius Thomas looks to be pretty scary, that's IF thomas can return to his '06 form.

Thus why I said IF he resurrects his career because I think there is a decent chance he can post good numbers with the supporting cast that NE has even though he is no longer in his prime. However with his performance in the last 2 years no team in their right mind would likely offer more than what they got, and he did not want to be there anymore so they did the right thing.

I am curious though as to who the player was the Philly was offering to go along with their 3rd.

it's not a fail for either teams.. the pats work well with aging players (i.e. seau, bruschi, vrabel, troy brown, a.thomas, etc.) and could really use burgess as an OLB.. great trade for both teams, especially raiders who need draft picks for their 20 year rebuilding process
pats have said they will play a more 4-3 defense with burgess. he isnt going to be an OLB

[ Edited by schmons on Aug 9, 2009 at 02:15:18 ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by schmons:
pats have said they will play a more 4-3 defense with burgess. he isnt going to be an OLB

They will use more 4-3 fronts but he still could line up as an OLB when they use 3-4 looks. This quote doesn't say if he will or not but I'm sure BB will have him ready to line up wherever he will be needed.

Quote:
A league source said that the indication is that the Patriots are expected to use more 4-3 defensive fronts this year than in years past, so Burgess became a more attractive player to them.
Share 49ersWebzone