LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

NFP's Lombardi on Singletary

Shop 49ers game tickets
While I usually am impressed with what Michael Lombardi writes, I cannot understand quite what he's saying about Singletary in his column today:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Firstyear-coaches.html

Lombardi is usually pretty astute and incisive, but he doesn't make a lot of sense here. Just a couple of thoughts:

Les Steckel??? I don't see the relationship.

Having a plan? Yes, I think he does.

Game management? Seemed to do OK last year...

While it's overall an interesting take on things, and again...I respect Lombardi's experience...it seems to me he's either never met Mike Singletary or else doesn't know him well at all.

This whole article is a reach.

Just MHO.
Mike Singletery is a GOD SEND for the 49ers.. he is just what we needed A LEADER
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Mike Singletery is a GOD SEND for the 49ers.. he is just what we needed A LEADER

all i can say is that in my heart i know that bill walsh would approve of singletary as a coach. Just too bad he's not here to mentor him offensively.
Originally posted by montananinerfan:
all i can say is that in my heart i know that bill walsh would approve of singletary as a coach. Just too bad he's not here to mentor him offensively.

I thought Walsh did mentor him somewhat. Didn't Sing meet with Walsh and pick his brain about his ideals on football and write EVERYTHING down?
Originally posted by backontop:

I thought Walsh did mentor him somewhat. Didn't Sing meet with Walsh and pick his brain about his ideals on football and write EVERYTHING down?

Yes, he did!
another wrong thing that was written: "He attempted to install a Marine-like approach with his team but failed to win over any players."

that question was asked of sing in a radio interview- if he thought his approach of yelling at players would be successful, and he responded, basically saying- that's over-blown. if you ask the players about that, they will disagree. he said he is all about relationships. getting close to his players. being like a father to them.

i guess that writer doesnt like to check his sources..
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
another wrong thing that was written: "He attempted to install a Marine-like approach with his team but failed to win over any players."

that question was asked of sing in a radio interview- if he thought his approach of yelling at players would be successful, and he responded, basically saying- that's over-blown. if you ask the players about that, they will disagree. he said he is all about relationships. getting close to his players. being like a father to them.

That quote is a direct contradiction to everything I have heard thus far....
Originally posted by Yetiman:
While I usually am impressed with what Michael Lombardi writes,

Lombardi is usually pretty astute and incisive

Yet the Raiders still let this guy go, way to go AL, we love ya buddy!

I know that he did mentor him. but that was a while back. what i meant was walsh relaying specific idealisms and schemes on offense. such as the pass first offense (small gains) even with passing. quote from walsh: "we dont need any fancy moves from the tight end, a 4 yard gain if we got that out of the play it worked"

Originally posted by 49erForLife420:

not only is a leader, he is a WINNER, and Hall of Famer. He has reached the top of the top from both a team and individual standpoint. Which in modern professional sports carries a lot of weight. He knows what each player, the team, and the organization needs to be successful.
Singletary thought that hos presence alone will change the team ( his first game), he then realised that there's more to that.

I hate bringing up the VD "incident" but that was exactly what singletary is talking about. Beeing like a father. He punished VD, and VD responded the right way. As Singletary is methodical, I belive he has talked a lot to the players to find out what kind of approach works for eachof them. So far the players have all been very positive in their comments.

I strongly belive that he will succeed as a head coach with the niners. Now it's time to see how well this team can really perform.

I know that he did mentor him. but that was a while back. what i meant was walsh relaying specific idealisms and schemes on offense. such as the pass first offense (small gains) even with passing. quote from walsh: "we dont need any fancy moves from the tight end, a 4 yard gain if we got that out of the play it worked"

I think were gonna pass alot more then ppl think, IMO were gonna pass to get the lead and then run it down the opponents throat.
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:

I think were gonna pass alot more then ppl think, IMO were gonna pass to get the lead and then run it down the opponents throat.

i agree im just waiting for our first couple of games to see if this is true. i really hope we utilize our extensive depth at wr and te.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:

That quote is a direct contradiction to everything I have heard thus far....

That statement was directed at Les Steckles, not coach Sing. He was not comparing Sing to Steckels. Instead he was using Steckels as an example as a disciplinarian that did things the wrong way. I can see the connection though. Steckels was known as a tough coach, demanding coach and many people view Singletary in the same way.

Personally, I didn’t see anything wrong with the article, because all he was saying is what he feels Sing will face and need to do as a first year head coach to succeed. He basically said these are the things he’ll face and this is what he’ll need to consider when handling these things.

He also alluded to Sing’s handling of the QB situation being a good thing. Stating that the way it’s been handled lets the team know that the coach is putting the team first and not just one or two players. Playing a time limit on when he’ll decide on a starter put’s more importance on the practices, leading to sharper practices by the whole team. I know that some think that Hill has earned the starters spot, but I agree with Lombardi that the competition is good for the team. As long they don’t drag it out.
Share 49ersWebzone