LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Carolina Panthers watch

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by nothing03:
Hey guys based on your predictions if the panther's pick goes between 5-11 pick in the draft. Do we still have a chance on drafting berry? I have a feeling he would go between 1-5th pick in the draft.

no one thought crabs would fall to us this year, so you never know. Keep hope alive!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Hey guys based on your predictions if the panther's pick goes between 5-11 pick in the draft. Do we still have a chance on drafting berry? I have a feeling he would go between 1-5th pick in the draft.

no one thought crabs would fall to us this year, so you never know. Keep hope alive!

Everything depends on KC
another loss baby!!! They got a tough stretch too! Thank Scotty for a GREAT trade!
Originally posted by maximill15:
another loss baby!!! They got a tough stretch too! Thank Scotty for a GREAT trade!

and some were saying how stupid of a trade it was and that we were the ones who shouldve taken everette brown. i will admit i was skeptical since i thought carolina was gonna be good but im really happy now
yea, we got lucky that Carolina sucks this year. No one expected it.

Quote:
Rather than celebrating – McCloughan’s not a big high-five-in-the-war-room guy – he immediately turned his attention to the second round. As the 49ers’ pick (43rd overall) approached, there were two players the team was targeting. Each of them, however, was snapped up with one of the five picks that immediately preceded San Francisco’s. (McCloughan wouldn’t say which players he wanted, but Matt Maiocco, the superb writer who covers the team for the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, speculated that linebacker Rey Maualuga and cornerback Darius Butler were the likely targets.)

Now McCloughan was willing to trade down, and to his surprise he quickly fielded calls from five teams who wanted to move up to the Niners’ slot. The last of those calls was from Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney, whose job security has been the subject of much media speculation. With star pass rusher Julius Peppers’ future in Carolina uncertain, Hurney really wanted to move up to take Florida State defensive end Everette Brown.

“What are we talking about?” McCloughan asked Hurney, who answered, “Next year’s 1 for this and your 4 [San Francisco’s fourth-round pick in ’09].”

McCloughan was so happy, he was tempted to make the deal on the spot. Instead, he said to Hurney, with as much nonchalance as he could muster, “OK, I’ll get back to you.”

It was halfway through the team’s seven-minute window, and there were a lot of nerves in the draft room as McCloughan hung up the phone and did absolutely nothing.

“That’s the part of the draft I love,” he says. “It’s like a chess match. When I hung up the phone, everyone in the room was looking at me, and I just stared up at the ceiling. They’re going, ‘What are we gonna do?’ I’m there thinking, ‘Hmmm, Carolina’s got the toughest schedule in the league next year. [Jake] Delhomme’s a pretty good quarterback, but if he gets hurt … that pick could be pretty high.’ ”

About two minutes passed before McCloughan reached for the phone. Instead of calling Hurney, however, he added to the tension by “purposely dialing the wrong number first. Finally, I dialed again and tried to get more out of Marty – ‘Can you throw in your [sixth-round pick]?’ I had to try it. He said no, and I said, ‘OK,’ and made the trade.”

To say McCloughan was thrilled would be an understatement. With cap space and a pair of 2010 first-rounders, he now has the ammunition to make a big move if he decides there’s an impact player worth acquiring via trade, either during next April’s draft or at any time before it.

“I got on the computer and checked the numbers” of the widely used chart that assigns points for draft picks, McCloughan says, “and the thing that’s interesting is that first-round picks the next year are only half as [valuable] as this year’s No. 1. I realize you don’t know where the team you trade with will finish, which affects the value, but it really makes no sense.

“Having two No. 1s gives us tons of leverage. We got huge value, not just for next year but if we decide to make a trade. We’ve got tons of cap room, so nothing’s holding us back.”

Link

crabtree was predicted to go 2 in the draft last year, but s**t happens, the combine builds up some players stock and may overtake berry or teams may just not want berry, you never know.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

crabtree was predicted to go 2 in the draft last year, but s**t happens, the combine builds up some players stock and may overtake berry or teams may just not want berry, you never know.

the raiders will take mays over berry.
Originally posted by PTulini:
1 - Sun, Sep 13 Philadelphia - lost 38-10
2 - Sun, Sep 20 at Atlanta – lost 28-21
3 - Mon, Sep 28 at Dallas – loss
4. - Bye
5 - Sun, Oct 11 Washington - win
6 - Sun, Oct 18 at Tampa Bay - win
7 - Sun, Oct 25 Buffalo - loss
8 - Sun, Nov 1 at Arizona - loss
9 - Sun, Nov 8 at New Orleans - loss
10 - Sun, Nov 15 Atlanta - loss
11 - Thu, Nov 19 Miami - win
12 - Sun, Nov 29 at NY Jets - loss
13 - Sun, Dec 6 Tampa Bay - win
14 - Sun, Dec 13 at New England - loss
15 - Sun, Dec 20 Minnesota - loss
16 - Sun, Dec 27 at NY Giants - loss
17 - Sun, Jan 3 New Orleans – loss

Predict Carolina goes 4-12

Well, alright... So far I was alittle off. Still not bad.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Quote:
Rather than celebrating – McCloughan’s not a big high-five-in-the-war-room guy – he immediately turned his attention to the second round. As the 49ers’ pick (43rd overall) approached, there were two players the team was targeting. Each of them, however, was snapped up with one of the five picks that immediately preceded San Francisco’s. (McCloughan wouldn’t say which players he wanted, but Matt Maiocco, the superb writer who covers the team for the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, speculated that linebacker Rey Maualuga and cornerback Darius Butler were the likely targets.)

Now McCloughan was willing to trade down, and to his surprise he quickly fielded calls from five teams who wanted to move up to the Niners’ slot. The last of those calls was from Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney, whose job security has been the subject of much media speculation. With star pass rusher Julius Peppers’ future in Carolina uncertain, Hurney really wanted to move up to take Florida State defensive end Everette Brown.

“What are we talking about?” McCloughan asked Hurney, who answered, “Next year’s 1 for this and your 4 [San Francisco’s fourth-round pick in ’09].”

McCloughan was so happy, he was tempted to make the deal on the spot. Instead, he said to Hurney, with as much nonchalance as he could muster, “OK, I’ll get back to you.”

It was halfway through the team’s seven-minute window, and there were a lot of nerves in the draft room as McCloughan hung up the phone and did absolutely nothing.

“That’s the part of the draft I love,” he says. “It’s like a chess match. When I hung up the phone, everyone in the room was looking at me, and I just stared up at the ceiling. They’re going, ‘What are we gonna do?’ I’m there thinking, ‘Hmmm, Carolina’s got the toughest schedule in the league next year. [Jake] Delhomme’s a pretty good quarterback, but if he gets hurt … that pick could be pretty high.’ ”

About two minutes passed before McCloughan reached for the phone. Instead of calling Hurney, however, he added to the tension by “purposely dialing the wrong number first. Finally, I dialed again and tried to get more out of Marty – ‘Can you throw in your [sixth-round pick]?’ I had to try it. He said no, and I said, ‘OK,’ and made the trade.”

To say McCloughan was thrilled would be an understatement. With cap space and a pair of 2010 first-rounders, he now has the ammunition to make a big move if he decides there’s an impact player worth acquiring via trade, either during next April’s draft or at any time before it.

“I got on the computer and checked the numbers” of the widely used chart that assigns points for draft picks, McCloughan says, “and the thing that’s interesting is that first-round picks the next year are only half as [valuable] as this year’s No. 1. I realize you don’t know where the team you trade with will finish, which affects the value, but it really makes no sense.

“Having two No. 1s gives us tons of leverage. We got huge value, not just for next year but if we decide to make a trade. We’ve got tons of cap room, so nothing’s holding us back.”

Link
Haha scotty is pissing his pants once he founds out that Carolina wants to make a trade with their 1st next year. He played it cool though.

I know $hit happens but what if Berry gets draft do you guys have any alternate pick that will be a good value on the top 10. I know O-line and pass rushers are the top priority is there any other top prospects that will be in line with the Carolina pick just in case if Berry gets drafted. Sorry for out of topic questions and I don't track College prospects since I had been busy in school. Sorry with all the questions I am just excited with this pick I like having 2 1st round pick.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

I know $hit happens but what if Berry gets draft do you guys have any alternate pick that will be a good value on the top 10. I know O-line and pass rushers are the top priority is there any other top prospects that will be in line with the Carolina pick just in case if Berry gets drafted. Sorry for out of topic questions and I don't track College prospects since I had been busy in school. Sorry with all the questions I am just excited with this pick I like having 2 1st round pick.

There are plenty of prospects like Suh (DT), Berry (S), Okung (OT), McCoy (DT), Bryant (WR), Haden (CB) and others that are worth top 10 consideration. I named 5 off right off the bat. With Locker (QB) and Clausen (QB) excepted to declare, it can only further our chances of getting Berry.

BUT Berry is a top 5 pick, if not top 3. Don't count on him being available.
Originally posted by GEEK:

There are plenty of prospects like Suh (DT), Berry (S), Okung (OT), McCoy (DT), Bryant (WR), Haden (CB) and others that are worth top 10 consideration. I named 5 off right off the bat. With Locker (QB) and Clausen (QB) excepted to declare, it can only further our chances of getting Berry.

BUT Berry is a top 5 pick, if not top 3. Don't count on him being available.

I have read everyone thinking highly of him especially Monte Kiffin, but how often is a safety drafted in the top 5?
Delhomme is apparently being placed on the IR according to ESPN Insider.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwilly52:
Delhomme is apparently being placed on the IR according to ESPN Insider.

Wow, I don't know if to cheer or cry.
Share 49ersWebzone