There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is it safe to call Reggie Bush a bust?

the things folks come up with he's made way too many plays to be called a bust.
his stats
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I say safe, because when I discuss this with friends, they get defensive.

He was picked number 2 overall, hasnt produced, and couldnt beat out pierre thomas and duece mccallsiter (sp?).

I mean, he hasnt done anything for a number 2 overall pick.

Yes I consider alex smith and vernon busts (but I still hope they can produce somehow)

He's kinda a small guy so I'd say you're safe. Now Vernon; thats another story. He might kick you ass for saying that...
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:
his stats

He's averaging 83 total yards(rushing & receiving) per game. Which would average out to 1328 yards over 16 games. Far from a bust. If a guy gets 1,000 yards rushing and 328 receiving he's considered successful. So why not Bush? because his is spread over 2 categories.

You can talk about him not being that dynamic runner or his durability. But 83 ypg is far from bust.
just another example of people not understanding the term bust.

he is a big contributor on a big time offense. That is not a bust.

I try to help people figure it out like this, if you had to do it all over again, where would he get drafted?

I think most people would answer in the 2nd round-3rd round. So the Saints jumped a bit high for him, that does not qualify as a bust.

Most busts are guys that would never get drafted or drafted really late if the team got a do over.
Originally posted by krizay:
his stats

He's averaging 83 total yards(rushing & receiving) per game. Which would average out to 1328 yards over 16 games. Far from a bust. If a guy gets 1,000 yards rushing and 328 receiving he's considered successful. So why not Bush? because his is spread over 2 categories.

You can talk about him not being that dynamic runner or his durability. But 83 ypg is far from bust.

Mediocre runner + mediocre receiver doesn't make him far from a bust. Also, he's very inconsistent. If not for Drew Brees and a pass-happy offense, he'd be pretty useless.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
A bust at Running Back, for sure. He was dubbed as the next "Sanders-Payton-Sayers", but averages 4 rushing touchdowns a year. Never averaged more than 4 yards a carry, and has more Fumbles than Rushing touchdowns (13 Fumbles, 12 touchdowns). Add that to the fact that he's missed 10 games in the last 2 years and you get an injury prone, glorified return man.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I say safe, because when I discuss this with friends, they get defensive.

He was picked number 2 overall, hasnt produced, and couldnt beat out pierre thomas and duece mccallsiter (sp?).

I mean, he hasnt done anything for a number 2 overall pick.

Yes I consider alex smith and vernon busts (but I still hope they can produce somehow)

vernon davis is not a bust
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by krizay:
his stats

Mediocre runner + mediocre receiver doesn't make him far from a bust. Also, he's very inconsistent. If not for Drew Brees and a pass-happy offense, he'd be pretty useless.

He isn't a mediocre runner he is below average but he is one of the best if not the best pass catching RB. I don't think he is a bust at all but definitely not worth the #2 pick.
Yeah i wouldn't call him a bust, but he's not that every down premiere running back. He had a nice welcome to the NFL, where speed and fancy moves don't generally work as they do in college.

Bush is always going to need that power in between the tackles running back to complement him. The best thing that Bush is used for is his mismatch creating ability and his pass catching.

-9fA
Bush is the highest paid decoy ever....yet I will take him on my team any day.
As a WR no.
I think if you look at Ether's post above, if it's accurate, and combine that with WHERE HE WAS PICKED, then you'd have to say, by many people's interpretation, he was a bust. You expect much more from a number 2 pick. Now, if he was a 3rd rounder, or maybe even a 2nd, he's not a bust. Fair? I think so; others would and do disagree. I don't think Reggie cares.
Originally posted by Chief:
Kim Kardashian = win

i was just gonna say this.. when you're smashin' a booty like that.. it's hard to be called a bust
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I think if you look at Ether's post above, if it's accurate, and combine that with WHERE HE WAS PICKED, then you'd have to say, by many people's interpretation, he was a bust. You expect much more from a number 2 pick. Now, if he was a 3rd rounder, or maybe even a 2nd, he's not a bust. Fair? I think so; others would and do disagree. I don't think Reggie cares.

I agree hes not worth the #2 pick. But he's not a bust
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home