LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

How stupid was the suit??

Shop 49ers game tickets
like father like son..... both of them were garbage
Originally posted by 49erman:
Some of you guys are some bandwagon people. Most of you were on Nolan's bandwagon when he announced he'd be wearing the suit. Most of you applauded him. Now its stupid? No, I think you all are the ones being stupid. The guy wasn't the best coach ever but we're not sitting here hype about next season if he doesn't build the team we have here. After the Erickson debacle, he reshaped this franchise. Without him, there is no McCloughan, Singletary, Willis, Clements, Staley, Gore, Morgan, Hill, Haralson, Spikes, Lewis, etc. So give the guy SOME credit. Yes he deserved to be fired but he did do a lot of good for our franchise. Admit it and then move on!

I think Nolan did shape the franchise, and most importantly, brought Singletary with him from Baltimore. His downfall was his unwillingness to take the blame for anything, his hare-brained coaching on the sidelines and how he handled Alex Smith's injury.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Looking back now the he is gone I found myself laughing and a little embarassed at myself that I thought the whole Nolan wearing a suit thing was cool.

In hindsight, what the hell was he doing worrying about what he was wearing and going to fittings with Reebok and fighting the league on their policies when the team sucked?? And even worse what were we doing supporting it??

Just thought I would mention it as I was reminded of him by the news of Lloyd going to Denver.

LOL... Yeah, the priorities were quite a bit out of wack... Just imagine where the team would be if he put that kind of effort into developing our team
Originally posted by global_nomad:
I was on board with the suit until I heard one quote from Nolan I will paraphrase because I'm not going to look it up right now.

But it was something like, Wearing a suit is a way to gain players respect.

After reading that it just totally rubbed me the wrong way. Wouldn't your coaching, teaching, mentality, at least player/coach relationships help build respect. Only a delusional authoritarian would think that dressing snazzy on Sunday would project respect/authority.

I believe Nolan got the respect thing from Ray Lewis. He said something like wherever Ray Lewis would travel, he would wear a suit and that commanded respect from his teammates. I think Nolan was trying to replicate the same thing.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I was on board with the suit until I heard one quote from Nolan I will paraphrase because I'm not going to look it up right now.

After reading that it just totally rubbed me the wrong way. Wouldn't your coaching, teaching, mentality, at least player/coach relationships help build respect. Only a delusional authoritarian would think that dressing snazzy on Sunday would project respect/authority.

I believe Nolan got the respect thing from Ray Lewis. He said something like wherever Ray Lewis would travel, he would wear a suit and that commanded respect from his teammates. I think Nolan was trying to replicate the same thing.

-9fA

I disagree with that logic though. Ray Lewis backed up what his job was on the field. Nolan as a head coach did not have the reputation Lewis had as a ILB, and therefore I don't agree with thinking that just thinking that dressing formal will demand respect. To me in any job performance gains you respect more than your dressed appearance.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

I disagree with that logic though. Ray Lewis backed up what his job was on the field. Nolan as a head coach did not have the reputation Lewis had as a ILB, and therefore I don't agree with thinking that just thinking that dressing formal will demand respect. To me in any job performance gains you respect more than your dressed appearance.

You are absolutely correct.

I still reckon that the primary reason for wearing the suit was to honour his father. All the respect image that he was hoping to give off was second to this.

-9fA
I thought the suit was a great idea to pay homage to the old school coaches.

Too bad he cheapened those suits with an overall lack of football knowledge and leadership skills.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The suit was the best idea Nolan had here,he is a terrible HC,but the suit was not a bad thing.More coaches should wear suits,it is classier than that BS Bellicheat wears.

I thought he looked bad ass when he sported the suit.
The Suit had nothing to do with the 49ers. It is a league issue, and Nolan was man enough to make a stand. If you are not a complete homer it is possible to still respect the man for his actions that really did not affect the team.

It is a bad rule to force coaches to dress like a teenager plain and simple, and the man spoke up. I will always respect him for that.

and Del Rio also

[ Edited by danimal on Jun 16, 2009 at 11:09:50 ]

Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for 1251alex.
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Great idea, horrible coach, bad timing.

QFT.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Looking back now the he is gone I found myself laughing and a little embarassed at myself that I thought the whole Nolan wearing a suit thing was cool.

In hindsight, what the hell was he doing worrying about what he was wearing and going to fittings with Reebok and fighting the league on their policies when the team sucked?? And even worse what were we doing supporting it??

Just thought I would mention it as I was reminded of him by the news of Lloyd going to Denver.

The suit itself was not a bad thing. It was very professional, which is what our organization has always been about. The guy wearing the suit, however, was a jackass.
Great idea, horrible coach, bad timing.

QFT.

Did you just QFT your own post?? That's gangsta!
Originally posted by yoyo49:

You want to know what looks ridiculous, 50 or 60 year old MLB managers wearing baseball uniforms. Now thats embarressing.

Agreed.
Originally posted by danimal:
The Suit had nothing to do with the 49ers. It is a league issue, and Nolan was man enough to make a stand. If you are not a complete homer it is possible to still respect the man for his actions that really did not affect the team.

It is a bad rule to force coaches to dress like a teenager plain and simple, and the man spoke up. I will always respect him for that.

and Del Rio also

Yessir.
Share 49ersWebzone