There are 259 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just watch next year Frank will be the frank we saw during the playoffs and last few reg season games... Guaranteed! Take ur heart out of the equation
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
BIG HUGE mistake in my opinion. Sure go ahead and bring him back but at a paycut. This move makes ZERo sense to me but oh well. Dude is a gamer and ALL HEART but the tools just aren't there anymore. Too Slow hitting the holes.

You're making way too much out this non-move. If the team was cap poor it would be another story, but if they can afford to let him play out his deal as is then they shouldn't screw with him. If anybody has earned it, it's him. He's off the books after 2014 anyway.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Broseph6:
Dude is done. 31 years old u don't pay a 31 yr old RB 6 mil. And extend him? No way be smart. Don't think with your heart

yes, he showed he was done last year off with you . if the team has the money, if it will not hurt us then you do it for him, especially after he showed he was not done,. I swear some people are hoping and wishing he is done

^this

Gore ranked 9th in rushing this season which was HIGHER than his 2012 season. How does that show he's done?

And don't even start with his speed, Gore was never known as a speedy back anyways.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Just watch next year Frank will be the frank we saw during the playoffs and last few reg season games... Guaranteed! Take ur heart out of the equation

guaranteed? lol. c'mon man. take your "hate" out of the equation.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalniner:
Baalke just said he doesn't HAVE to ask Gore, doesn't mean he isn't. I love Gore, it just makes sense to trim his contract for the good of the team.

We should restructure if we can't extend Kap and Crabtree this offseason and resign Boldin. If we can do those 3 things without restructuring Frank's contract then we shouldn't ask him to take pay cut.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

what are you ,,hoping? and talk to the offensive line who is supposed to be elite in regards to the seahawk game and then talk to fat f**k roman about why he thought it was nice to keep running frank into 9 guys,. and why am I even engaging in conversation about this ?
What are the team's options really? They can "ask" Frank to take a pay cut, or they can extend him, thus easing the cap hit, or they can cut him. Cutting him is out of the question: he came out of a 1000+ yard season, is one of the best blitz protectors in the league, and is THE best downfield blocking back in the league by an immense margin. He could even receive out of the backfield if our playbook was not all jumbo formations and long bombs. And that's beyond the "heart" issue, which of course is a big one. Then, "asking" him is silly. They can ask, and he can answer no. What would he to gain? Extending is another matter, but with so many guys in the backfield, not to mention Frank's age, it makes no sense. Bite the 6.4 million, bring him back, and see out his contract. As an FA at 32 he can then either sign for us again year by year at a reasonable rate, or try his luck elsewhere.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TJA85:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Dude is done. 31 years old u don't pay a 31 yr old RB 6 mil. And extend him? No way be smart. Don't think with your heart

yes, he showed he was done last year off with you . if the team has the money, if it will not hurt us then you do it for him, especially after he showed he was not done,. I swear some people are hoping and wishing he is done

^this

Gore ranked 9th in rushing this season which was HIGHER than his 2012 season. How does that show he's done?

And don't even start with his speed, Gore was never known as a speedy back anyways.
Selected viewing of stats, you must be talking total rushing yards. His ypc went from 4.7 (2012) to 4.1 (2013) if history with 30+ year old top level running backs is any example that number will fall to 3.8 or lower in 2014. Last I checked Frank is human and not a robot, NFL running backs do not out run father time. Even the 30+ crowd that did ok in their later years fell off quite a bit from their late 20's. Pull up Football Reference and look at the numbers on running backs Frank's age. You have to ask yourself if Frank Gore was a free agent how much would somebody pay him? The salary cap forces the business side of the game, you can't over pay players on sentiment.
Originally posted by BobS:
Selected viewing of stats, you must be talking total rushing yards. His ypc went from 4.7 (2012) to 4.1 (2013) if history with 30+ year old top level running backs is any example that number will fall to 3.8 or lower in 2014. Last I checked Frank is human and not a robot, NFL running backs do not out run father time. Even the 30+ crowd that did ok in their later years fell off quite a bit from their late 20's. Pull up Football Reference and look at the numbers on running backs Frank's age. You have to ask yourself if Frank Gore was a free agent how much would somebody pay him? The salary cap forces the business side of the game, you can't over pay players on sentiment.

I want to know what his YPC was once Crabtree came in through the playoffs. B/c THAT is our real offense. Prior to that Gore WAS our offense. We need to account for the fact that he was probably pretty worn down the last quarter of the season and through the playoffs and the play calling could not be more predictable BUT this stat could give us a better gauge of real production and expectations going forward.
If Baalke is going to be worth a damn as a GM, he needs to be able to crack the whip. Paying a 31 year old RB with a ton of miles on him, one who only managed 11 carries for 14 yards in the NFCC game, $6.4 million dollars is not a smart thing to do. You pay a player based on what he'll do for your this upcoming season, you don't overpay him based on what he did 5 years ago. How Lynch ran versus how Gore ran is one of the reasons Seattle won, people want to turn a blind eye to that for some reason. Any other RB runs for that amount and we'd be calling for his head. Gore will just be another year older and slower next season, do you really want to go into another NFCC game with a 31 year old RB playing his 19th game of the season? I hate disparaging Gore as he's been a great 49er but it would not be a wise use of money paying him that much. No other NFL team will pay him $6+ million a year, the 49ers should not either. There are better ways to use that money to strengthen this team for 2014. I respect what Frank has done for this team but I want to see the 49ers win a SB next season, paying Gore that much when he can play for less would be the smarter thing to do to help accomplish that goal.

Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
If Baalke is going to be worth a damn as a GM, he needs to be able to crack the whip. Paying a 31 year old RB with a ton of miles on him, one who only managed 11 carries for 14 yards in the NFCC game, $6.4 million dollars is not a smart thing to do. You pay a player based on what he'll do for your this upcoming season, you don't overpay him based on what he did 5 years ago. How Lynch ran versus how Gore ran is one of the reasons Seattle won, people want to turn a blind eye to that for some reason. Any other RB runs for that amount and we'd be calling for his head. Gore will just be another year older and slower next season, do you really want to go into another NFCC game with a 31 year old RB playing his 19th game of the season? I hate disparaging Gore as he's been a great 49er but it would not be a wise use of money paying him that much. No other NFL team will pay him $6+ million a year, the 49ers should not either. There are better ways to use that money to strengthen this team for 2014. I respect what Frank has done for this team but I want to see the 49ers win a SB next season, paying Gore that much when he can play for less would be the smarter thing to do to help accomplish that goal.

I agree to certain point. Frank didn't do much int NFCCG, but I think that's more on the game plan the coaches thought up.

He is old and he really isn't an every down back anymore. They need to split the load with the other RB we have. They need a lightning to Gore's thunder.
Change up speed and keep the defense on it's toes. But that is never going to happen in JH offensive scheme.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

My mind says, "You're right...100%."
My heart says, "Screw you!"

But you're right! The GM has to make these very very hard decisions whether we have a contigency plan in place or not.

Let's hope someone steps up this off season and just flat out earns the spot...or at least 1/2 the carries.
LOL'ing at all of the wannbe bean counters in here . . . if we cut Gore's pay due to a decreasingly productive ground game why don't we go after the o-linemen too?

No let's just f**k over Gore because he's in a vulnerable spot career and contract wise. That will go over great in the locker room.

I'm not naive and I know this is a business, but Gore's situation is just different enough that Baalke's comments make perfect sense to me.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
LOL'ing at all of the wannbe bean counters in here . . . if we cut Gore's pay due to a decreasingly productive ground game why don't we go after the o-linemen too?

No let's just f**k over Gore because he's in a vulnerable spot career and contract wise. That will go over great in the locker room.

I'm not naive and I know this is a business, but Gore's situation is just different enough that Baalke's comments make perfect sense to me.

Then we restructure his contract and extend him 2 more years. Structure it so he takes a mild pay cut this year and retires a 49er.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

If we extended him for another year, you can significantly decrease the cap hit while still allowing him to earn the full contract via incentives. This will allow us to sign many other players. Nobody wants the guy cut. But in this scenario, IF a guy like Lattimore steps up, it won't hurt us down the road...consider it a "transition" plan...a win-win for everyone b/c if Frank holds off Lattimore, he'll have earned it and that means we ALL win.
Share 49ersWebzone