There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Frank Gore Thread

  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 32,963
im gonna go watch some gore highlights and cry while you guys keep talking about letting him go
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,368
True Frank Gore was the consistent hard working lone bright spot on this team for many of the 8 straight years of not making the play-offs. The NFL needs to allow a few cap exceptions so people like Frank don't get dumped in their twilight years because of salary cap constraints. Everybody here loves Frank but those that didn't see his drastic decline last year are blinded by that love. The stand out one was the 50 yard run against Seattle where he had a 5+ yard lead on the closest defender and was run down from behind. That would have been a 70 yard TD two years ago. We ended up with a field goal and had to sweat a 2 point win. I say bring him back as a third down back, but not at his current cap number.
That's not really the best play to make your case.

No other player on our team had the moves to break the run in the first place. No other player on our team is savvy enough to go down in bounds and keep the clock going. We need a varied multifaceted offense that can use Gore as one of many pass and run options. That will help take the load off him and showcase what he can still do.

And by the way, sticking in Lattimore or Adrian Peterson or Eddie Lacey or who ever isn't going to change that. It's not like oh wow, our run game will really take off when we stick AP in the backfield with McD, Vern, Miller, SNyder. Yes, I grant you that Frank will have gained 8 inches while AP will get 10.5 inches. Yes. 33% improvement there. Really looking forward to that.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
That's not really the best play to make your case.

No other player on our team had the moves to break the run in the first place. No other player on our team is savvy enough to go down in bounds and keep the clock going. We need a varied multifaceted offense that can use Gore as one of many pass and run options. That will help take the load off him and showcase what he can still do.

And by the way, sticking in Lattimore or Adrian Peterson or Eddie Lacey or who ever isn't going to change that. It's not like oh wow, our run game will really take off when we stick AP in the backfield with McD, Vern, Miller, SNyder. Yes, I grant you that Frank will have gained 8 inches while AP will get 10.5 inches. Yes. 33% improvement there. Really looking forward to that.

You should have told me about your crystal ball! I have so many questions. Who's the 9ers first pick in the draft? Does Gore get 2000 yards on the Vikings? Do you realize you said our running game won't change if we put in Lattimore,who has yet to see a NFL snap in his life, or with AP,who has established himself as the best RB in the league, meaning it doesn't really matter if we keep Gore because all RBs are created equal? Can I tell my girlfriend 2.5 inches isn't a big deal?

Everything you wrote cannot be proved, and is just your opinion. I would think twice about giving others advice on how to make a case. A key play in a key game about a key player makes sense. A TD in that situation is huge as it saves us a turnover risk on the following plays, a potential missed FG, and forces Seattle to go for 7.
Originally posted by senseimatt:
You should have told me about your crystal ball! I have so many questions. Who's the 9ers first pick in the draft? Does Gore get 2000 yards on the Vikings? Do you realize you said our running game won't change if we put in Lattimore,who has yet to see a NFL snap in his life, or with AP,who has established himself as the best RB in the league, meaning it doesn't really matter if we keep Gore because all RBs are created equal? Can I tell my girlfriend 2.5 inches isn't a big deal?

Everything you wrote cannot be proved, and is just your opinion. I would think twice about giving others advice on how to make a case. A key play in a key game about a key player makes sense. A TD in that situation is huge as it saves us a turnover risk on the following plays, a potential missed FG, and forces Seattle to go for 7.
+1

Look I love Gore's mentality as much as the next person. However, he has clearly declined rather significantly. As good of a leader he is, he is not worth his current cap figure.

Once RB's decline, they typically go fast. I'd love to have him back at a reduced rate but no way we pay what he is scheduled to make. I just isn't smart.
[ Edited by RumorHasIt on Feb 16, 2014 at 6:56 PM ]
My point is that it wont matter much who is running behind a lot of our formations where evsryone is a blocker but one.

Ill share my opinions with who i pleaze.

You can tell your girlfriend what you want.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,368
I didn't make the case of the 50 yard run that would have been a 70 yard TD two years ago as a case of Frank Gore isn't still a good back, but it definitely showed how much Frank has declined, the guy that eventually tackled him closed from almost 10 yards back. Maybe you aren't aware that 30+ year old running backs decline faster than ice cream melts on the side walk in a Southern California desert in July. For a running back Frank has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.
You can count on one hand the number of running backs that had good years the year after turning 30. I think his 2014 cap number is around $6 million, if you keep him at that number you are hurting the team, the salary cap is a cruel reality. No one defeats father time, especially NFL running backs.
Originally posted by BobS:
I didn't make the case of the 50 yard run that would have been a 70 yard TD two years ago as a case of Frank Gore isn't still a good back, but it definitely showed how much Frank has declined, the guy that eventually tackled him closed from almost 10 yards back. Maybe you aren't aware that 30+ year old running backs decline faster than ice cream melts on the side walk in a Southern California desert in July. For a running back Frank has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.
You can count on one hand the number of running backs that had good years the year after turning 30. I think his 2014 cap number is around $6 million, if you keep him at that number you are hurting the team, the salary cap is a cruel reality. No one defeats father time, especially NFL running backs.

It's for one year. One year. It's not like he's being paid 6 million a year for the next 5 years. He's being paid six million for ONE year. While I do believe he will restructure and lower his cap number, his salary for ONE year is not going to "cripple" this team or hurt the team as you put it. We will be fine for this one year having Frank Gore, even at that salary.

Now if a renegotiates to lower the number, great. But he isn't hurting the team.
Originally posted by BobS:
I didn't make the case of the 50 yard run that would have been a 70 yard TD two years ago as a case of Frank Gore isn't still a good back, but it definitely showed how much Frank has declined, the guy that eventually tackled him closed from almost 10 yards back. Maybe you aren't aware that 30+ year old running backs decline faster than ice cream melts on the side walk in a Southern California desert in July. For a running back Frank has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.
You can count on one hand the number of running backs that had good years the year after turning 30. I think his 2014 cap number is around $6 million, if you keep him at that number you are hurting the team, the salary cap is a cruel reality. No one defeats father time, especially NFL running backs.

We all know that Frank's days are drawing to a close.

Yet your remarks are rude, almost spiteful, almost gleeful about his getting on.

I don't get it. How can you watch football and not appreciate Frank Gore?

I disagree with the premise that Frank doesn't help this team. He helps in many many ways -- including carrying the ball.

I hope Frank and management work something out.

And there aren't sidewalks in California deserts, in July or any other month.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Feb 17, 2014 at 9:38 AM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
True Frank Gore was the consistent hard working lone bright spot on this team for many of the 8 straight years of not making the play-offs. The NFL needs to allow a few cap exceptions so people like Frank don't get dumped in their twilight years because of salary cap constraints. Everybody here loves Frank but those that didn't see his drastic decline last year are blinded by that love. The stand out one was the 50 yard run against Seattle where he had a 5+ yard lead on the closest defender and was run down from behind. That would have been a 70 yard TD two years ago. We ended up with a field goal and had to sweat a 2 point win. I say bring him back as a third down back, but not at his current cap number.
Um no. He still had 1100 yards going against 8 men boxes. Drastic decline? You along with so many others are just assuming that there has been a big drop off in his play simply because he is now over 30 years old and so many running backs are done at that time. Frank Gore's numbers suggest otherwise. And Frank has never had breakaway speed so I don't know how you're going to say two years ago he would have scored. There was a similar play that happened two years ago against the Lions in Detroit. And you know what, he was run down by Chris Houston. That's never been his game. His game is his great vision and immediate burst through the hole. He still has both of those. His running style is very similar to Emmitt Smith, who played until he was 35 years old. If he's still going well over the 1000 yard mark against 8 men in the box, the dude is still playing at a very high level and is still a top back in the league.
I love me some Frank Gore. He is a first class guy you can see that in the way he plays. Never quits, never cries, keeps his legs moving. As much as i love his running his blocking is what has always stood out. I hope after he hangs up the jersey Harbaugh gives him a shot as an asst. coach. With him and Rathman breaking down running backs the run game will be strong for a long time.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by BobS:
True Frank Gore was the consistent hard working lone bright spot on this team for many of the 8 straight years of not making the play-offs. The NFL needs to allow a few cap exceptions so people like Frank don't get dumped in their twilight years because of salary cap constraints. Everybody here loves Frank but those that didn't see his drastic decline last year are blinded by that love. The stand out one was the 50 yard run against Seattle where he had a 5+ yard lead on the closest defender and was run down from behind. That would have been a 70 yard TD two years ago. We ended up with a field goal and had to sweat a 2 point win. I say bring him back as a third down back, but not at his current cap number.
Um no. He still had 1100 yards going against 8 men boxes. Drastic decline? You along with so many others are just assuming that there has been a big drop off in his play simply because he is now over 30 years old and so many running backs are done at that time. Frank Gore's numbers suggest otherwise. And Frank has never had breakaway speed so I don't know how you're going to say two years ago he would have scored. There was a similar play that happened two years ago against the Lions in Detroit. And you know what, he was run down by Chris Houston. That's never been his game. His game is his great vision and immediate burst through the hole. He still has both of those. His running style is very similar to Emmitt Smith, who played until he was 35 years old. If he's still going well over the 1000 yard mark against 8 men in the box, the dude is still playing at a very high level and is still a top back in the league.

I think where I saw the drop off is in his explosion through the line. The old Gore explodes through the line and is decisive and hits defenders low and his momentum alone helps picks up additional yardage (and he doesn't go down right away/spirts through for another yard or two). I also saw him get tackled from behind going into the hole a lot...so explosion, quickness, burst and well, he's never had speed and Father Time are working against him and I think Harbaugh's comments right after he NFCCG re: Lattimore was his way of ushering in a new era and preparing fans for the inevitable. And b/c Gore doesn't have the lateral speed to get consistent runs off tackle, it makes it much easier for defenders to stack the box inside the T's and run blitz (and predictable play calling doesn't help at all either). So IMHO, we NEED a complete back if we're going to lean on this offensive philosophy.

TBH, some of these issues may have been d/t to nagging injuries but Gore seems to have nagging injuries every year and some may eb d/t to his style of play and age.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 17, 2014 at 10:28 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
I think where I saw the drop off is in his explosion through the line. The old Gore explodes through the line and is decisive and hits defenders low and his momentum alone helps picks up additional yardage (and he doesn't go down right away/spirts through for another yard or two). I also saw him get tackled from behind going into the hole a lot...so explosion, quickness, burst and well, he's never had speed and Father Time are working against him and I think Harbaugh's comments right after he NFCCG re: Lattimore was his way of ushering in a new era and preparing fans for the inevitable. And b/c Gore doesn't have the lateral speed to get consistent runs off tackle, it makes it much easier for defenders to stack the box inside the T's and run blitz (and predictable play calling doesn't help at all either). So IMHO, we NEED a complete back if we're going to lean on this offensive philosophy.

TBH, some of these issues may have been d/t to nagging injuries but Gore seems to have nagging injuries every year and some may eb d/t to his style of play and age.

"..a lot?" Do you have specific examples? I didn't notice that very much. I did notice Frank getting smothered behind the line a lot because teams jumped the front so often. I don't think lateral quickness would have helped a lot there. Unless you hire the Flash.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Feb 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I think where I saw the drop off is in his explosion through the line. The old Gore explodes through the line and is decisive and hits defenders low and his momentum alone helps picks up additional yardage (and he doesn't go down right away/spirts through for another yard or two). I also saw him get tackled from behind going into the hole a lot...so explosion, quickness, burst and well, he's never had speed and Father Time are working against him and I think Harbaugh's comments right after he NFCCG re: Lattimore was his way of ushering in a new era and preparing fans for the inevitable. And b/c Gore doesn't have the lateral speed to get consistent runs off tackle, it makes it much easier for defenders to stack the box inside the T's and run blitz (and predictable play calling doesn't help at all either). So IMHO, we NEED a complete back if we're going to lean on this offensive philosophy.

TBH, some of these issues may have been d/t to nagging injuries but Gore seems to have nagging injuries every year and some may eb d/t to his style of play and age.

"..a lot?" Do you have specific examples? I didn't notice that very much. I did notice Frank getting smothered behind the line a lot because teams jumped the front so often. I don't think lateral quickness would have helped a lot there. Unless you hire the Flash.

Often those will show up as TFL or can also go for a yard or two. But to be fair, it may have resulted from just getting worn down as we leaned on him heavily again after week 1 (really week 4 on). With our predicatble play calling on first downs and facing so many good defenses who knew our tendencies (plus all the aforementioned issus), it truly is hard to tease out a diminishing skill set and age vs. those factors playing a key role in all of this.

Is there a "Flash" on the team now? In the draft? LOL
Well, I just don't see him going down the tube the way you describe. We all agree on the speed thing. But you and your minions are describing Frank like he was Randy Moss in his last year here. I don't see that. Plenty of burst around the line, plenty of squirt.

The running game was largely ineffective except for a few chunk plays the last month and a half. Good teams shut us down because they knew what was coming. We did not show them a different hand.

Only one person can make the same offensive philosophy successful: