LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Disp:
Yes, he had a couple huge clutch runs the last 6 or so games, but you take those out and he's averaging 2-3 yards per carry.

You just described every good running back in the NFL.

The idea that Gore is holding the team back? That he's "done"? Calling it laughable is being nice.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Jan 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM ]
Originally posted by kem99:
True, but Gore's numbers are down this year.

Not by much.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I love Gore but he does wear down towards the end of the year. We need another work horse type RB.
Originally posted by susweel:
I love Gore but he does wear down towards the end of the year. We need another work horse type RB.

Not only is this not true it is the opposite of the truth. The guy gets stronger as the game goes on and also gets stronger as the season goes on.
I hope Gore becomes a scout for the 9ers...
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Not by much.
I'd consider a drop from 4.7 yards per carry to 4.1 yards per carry significant, not to mention that the 4.1 yards per carry is a career low and that he carried the ball more but gained less yards than 2012.
Give Lattimore a chance, its time
Hey, I think Gore returns for another season, but will split carries with Hunter and Lattimore. That's what I think. Good season all around.
Originally posted by kem99:
I'd consider a drop from 4.7 yards per carry to 4.1 yards per carry significant, not to mention that the 4.1 yards per carry is a career low and that he carried the ball more but gained less yards than 2012.

How many of them were short yardage/goaline/TDs? Those sway the average. How many of those short yardage/goaline attempts went for 1st downs and TDs?

He also had the 2nd most TDs of his career, just 1 behind his best season.

His average did drop off but he ran more (which usually results in a lower average) and other numbers were as good as ever.

Frank Gore was not at his all time best but he's still very close to it. He also was a big part of A LOT of Kap's big runs this season, not the least of which came in the last three games (all made possible by Gore blocks). The dude is still playing at a high level as an NFL back.
Originally posted by The49erMan:
Hey, I think Gore returns for another season, but will split carries with Hunter and Lattimore. That's what I think. Good season all around.

Hunter should have been getting more attempts all year. You can't give a back 2 or 3 carries a game and then say he's not getting it done because he didn't break one on those 2 or 3 carries.

• kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:
How many of them were short yardage/goaline/TDs? Those sway the average. How many of those short yardage/goaline attempts went for 1st downs and TDs?

He also had the 2nd most TDs of his career, just 1 behind his best season.

His average did drop off but he ran more (which usually results in a lower average) and other numbers were as good as ever.

Frank Gore was not at his all time best but he's still very close to it. He also was a big part of A LOT of Kap's big runs this season, not the least of which came in the last three games (all made possible by Gore blocks). The dude is still playing at a high level as an NFL back.
How many were short yardage/goaline/TDs? I don't know...do you? Fine, show me how many carries Gore had in 2012 on short yardage/goal line and how many he had in 2013...Were there any more than the prior year or any other year in his career, including when the 49er QB situation was a disaster and Gore was the only part of the offense defenses had to worry about?

You're missing the point, though, of my post and this entire thread...Gore had a good season but it is clearly down from the prior year statistically and just by watching him game to game. Its one thing if that happens when he's 25, its another when he's 30 and has a lot of carries under his belt. The history of RBs in the NFL is that even the great ones decline quickly once they hit 30. That doesn't mean he's worthless but he does have 1 year left on his deal so it makes sense for next season to be a transition year to Latimore and Hunter with Gore being a mentor to both and providing good production but on less carries/touches.
Was Gore injured in the 3rd Quarter?
I think there is no question gore starts next year. But anyone who thinks lattimore won't get a serious look is kidding themselves. I love gore but I feel like he ran out of gas. he takes himself out a lot in big games.
We all love Frank...he's been the heart & soul of our team since he's been a Niners. But, the RB position is tough...the years of punishment/hits take their toll. Baalke didn't draft Lattimore to sit on the bench...when healthy, he's a powerful, swift RB who can be a difference maker. Mike Mayock said it best when they drafted him...it was a very astute move by the Niners to draft a player of Lattimore's caliber knowing he wouldn't play at all in 2013. Marcus has the potential to be a beast...and in our division, that's pretty important.
Originally posted by outside4949:
I think there is no question gore starts next year. But anyone who thinks lattimore won't get a serious look is kidding themselves. I love gore but I feel like he ran out of gas. he takes himself out a lot in big games.

I genuinely can not remember the last time he was healthy...he is always nicked up and hurt. It sucks but he and Justin Smith are most likely done.
Share 49ersWebzone