LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Rathman is really a key guy now

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
Originally posted by Envy:
Essentially he is the heir apparent for our Offensive Co-ordinator role so yes his development of our running game will be pivotal to how we progress. It was a shrewd move by the management to get him back here. He will soon be able to take over at OC in a year or two.

I agree it was a shrewd move that could add some stability for us down the road and he has been a good RB coach everywhere. I think he could be a good OC.

After watching Jim Hostler's mentor, Jimmy Raye's offense throughout the pre-season, I think we need Rathman more involved now more than ever. As in making him the OC.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Essentially he is the heir apparent for our Offensive Co-ordinator role so yes his development of our running game will be pivotal to how we progress. It was a shrewd move by the management to get him back here. He will soon be able to take over at OC in a year or two.

I agree it was a shrewd move that could add some stability for us down the road and he has been a good RB coach everywhere. I think he could be a good OC.

After watching Jim Hostler's mentor, Jimmy Raye's offense throughout the pre-season, I think we need Rathman more involved now more than ever. As in making him the OC.

Agreed, he's got a great future in the NFL
Originally posted by Giant9er:
Originally posted by zillabeast:

Agreed, he's got a great future in the NFL

I will be stunned if the 49ers are not a top 10, no...a top 5 running team this season. If he could pull that off in Oakland, he could certainly do it for the Niners.

Question is, will management be smart enough to retain him?
Why the hell are people bumping old threads?

-9fA
I was excited when Singletary signed him...after seeing his impact already on all the RB's, it's only escalated. Rathman says he's doing what he wants to do, but I'm wondering a couple of years down the line if he'd accept the OC role if it was offered to him. I think he'd be very good at it...he was a key player in some of the best offenses the league has ever seen and shown the ability to translate that knowledge and experience as a coach.
  • dj43
Of course it is early in the season still and we don't know yet the potential of the young backs on the team, but from what we saw of the blocking ability of Glen Coffee and Kory Sheets in the pre-season, I wouldn't be bragging about Rathman's coaching ability quite yet.

And where exactly did you garner the info that would lead to such an assertion? Rathman has never been anything other then a rb's coach and has been our RB's coach previously with no mention of OC so again, what exactly led you to assume that Rathman is in line to be our OC?
Offensive Quality Control / Assistant HC should be his promotion
This dudes bullet proof
I thought he was getting fired for the falcons rb coach

• bors
  • Veteran
More like promoted so we can keep him and Kyle guy can still come in.
He's always been important
Just give him a lifelong 9er coach contract...
Rathman is the quintessential Niner--the longer we can keep him in the family the better
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
Rathman is the quintessential Niner--the longer we can keep him in the family the better

This
Share 49ersWebzone