LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

Kory Sheets

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by wailers15:
hate to break it to ya but he's going to the practice squad

I'm not saying we should fit him for a yellow jacket yet, but this isn't Thomas Clayton we're talking about either. Sheets was an accomplished Big 10 RB with not only great speed and skills (RB, catching passes and special teams success), but with a ton of production as well. The two big issues were his character and (to a lesser extent) his size...neither have been issues so far though in 49ers camp.

So, no way does he make it past waivers. If we do try and place him on the practice squad, some smart team will pick him up and keep him on the roster.

I think the RB situation will look like this:

~Gore
~Coffee (primary back-up)
~Sheets (change of pace, 3rd downs, special teams)
~M-Rob (RB/FB, special teams)
~Norris (FB)

*Miller or Rentmeester on the PS in the event we need another FB.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Aug 24, 2009 at 12:08 PM ]
Originally posted by GoFD74:

I'm not saying we should fit him for a yellow jacket yet, but this isn't Thomas Clayton we're talking about either. Sheets was an accomplished Big 10 RB with not only great speed and skills (RB, catching passes and special teams success), but with a ton of production as well. The two big issues where his character and (to a lesser extent) his size...neither have been issues so far though in 49ers camp.

So, no way does he make it past waivers. If we do try and place him on the practice squad, some smart team will pick him up and keep him on the roster.

~Gore
~Sheets (limited package of plays, special teams)
~Norris (FB)

Thats exactly what I think it will look like also. Sheets won't make it through the waivers if we try that.
we wont really know how good he is until the regular season if he makes the team..i think he will

I'm not saying we should fit him for a yellow jacket yet, but this isn't Thomas Clayton we're talking about either. Sheets was an accomplished Big 10 RB with not only great speed and skills (RB, catching passes and special teams success), but with a ton of production as well. The two big issues were his character and (to a lesser extent) his size...neither have been issues so far though in 49ers camp.

~Gore
~Sheets (change of pace, 3rd downs, special teams)
~Norris (FB)

^^^THIS
Heh.

Explosive Sheets.

Heh.
Tell me about it. I know Sheets is one dimensional but man he is a home run threat that blows by people. He would be a great change of pace runner.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

I'm not saying we should fit him for a yellow jacket yet, but this isn't Thomas Clayton we're talking about either. Sheets was an accomplished Big 10 RB with not only great speed and skills (RB, catching passes and special teams success), but with a ton of production as well. The two big issues where his character and (to a lesser extent) his size...neither have been issues so far though in 49ers camp.

~Gore
~Sheets (limited package of plays, special teams)
~Norris (FB)

Thats exactly what I think it will look like also. Sheets won't make it through the waivers if we try that.

All of this
[ Edited by Giant9er on Aug 24, 2009 at 1:11 PM ]
there have been games where it seems none of our RB,s can run between tackles so its nice to have an extra option with sheets if it comes down to it.
lets see him make the team first.

He's the 5th back, how many did we carry last year, 4?
Originally posted by Schulzy:
lets see him make the team first.

He's the 5th back, how many did we carry last year, 4?

Last year was an abberation under Martz.

Most power running teams carry 5 total (3 RBs and 2 FBs or a hybrid FB/TE type).

sheets is our money shot
Taco Bell makes my sheets explosive, sometimes i have to change my boxers
So far, we have only seen him late in the game against the soon-to-be-unemployed, but I like what I see so far.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
I didn't think he showed the ability to break tackles or carry defenders when he ran between the tackles. He adds outside speed and a change of pace, but I wouldn't call him explosive.

I agree he doesn't seem to be a strong inside runner yet, but he has the ability to get outside and into the second level pretty quickly, and has the kind of speed that can take it the distance (something Frank and Beans don't quite have).

So the OP has a point...Gore and Coffee can wear you down, then you bring in a home run hitter like Sheets later in the game against a bunch of tired defenders.

He's never going to be an inside runner, at least a very successful one. He is a perfect change of pace guy and hopefully his skills improve. Gore, Coffee, and MRob are pounders....we need a finesse guy and Sheets may be him

Sorry man, but to say after 2 pre-season games that Sheets will NEVER be an inside runner is kinda silly. Neither of us know that. Sure, his game is better suited to break it outside, which is fine for a change of pace back (like you said)...but to just declare right now that he can't ever run inside???

He's not built to be an inside road grader, his strength will be off tackle. Just like Sproles he will hit the edge and take it right down the sideline.

Sheets looked good in the closing of pre-season game one, running up the middle in to a pack and then breaking it out side (breaking several tackles). I do agree that he will never be the same type of runner as Gore or Coffee, but if you get him in the game when the defense is tired (from Gore and Coffe) he will be able to do some damage.

I cant wait to see Sheets on the screen pass..
Share 49ersWebzone