LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Kyle Orton vs Jay Cutler vs Matt Cassell

Shop 49ers game tickets
This is going to be very interesting. We have always tried to argue in support or against certain players by comparing their talents around them or how we think they would fair on another team.

Joe Montana proved everyone wrong about the fact that he could probably only make that 49ers team succeed and wouldn't fair well on another team.

This is going to be interesting.

Kyle Orton has a similar throwing ability as Jay Cutler does but he lacked talent around him. Now they switch roles. I actually thought Orton would be a good NFL QB when he was drafted so it's time to see.

We can also see how Jay Cutler, a guy who can physically do what any QB in the league can do will fair on an offense with less talent, but with a defense that can support him.

Matt Cassell is the ultimate unproven QB landing on an uber talented offense. I wonder if he can give the NFL an encore, which will be difficult to do, but let's see if he can show to be at least an average QB.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Cutler > Cassell >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Orton
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:

Time will tell.
Originally posted by Chief:

Time will tell.

I believe Cutler is better than both but I don't think you can exactly say Cassell is better than Orton. Orton is the only one of the three that has not had anyone to throw to.

You Alex Smith guys should be all over Orton's nuts.
i'd take cutler over the other fools.
Orton will have a better season than Cutler this year...
Yeah, people have mentioned here that Cutler is really a glorified Orton. It sure did make me chuckle, but it will be interesting to see if Cutler can still play at the same high level. I personally don't think he will.

I also think that Cassel will fall flat on his face and be exposed. I think he's the product of a system more than anything else.

And i also think that Orton will be able to do just fine in Denver's offense. He may not put up the same stats as Cutler may have, but i do think that he will be able to make the plays when called upon.

Anyways, it will be interesting to come back to this thread at season's end.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on May 14, 2009 at 3:41 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Yeah, people have mentioned here that Cutler is really a glorified Orton. It sure did make me chuckle, but it will be interesting to see if Cutler can still play at the same high level. I personally don't think he will.

I also think that Cassel will fall flat on his face and be exposed. I think he's the product of a system more than anything else.

And i also think that Orton will be able to do just fine in Denver's offense. He may not put up the same stats as Cutler may have, but i don't think that he will be able to make the plays when called upon.

Anyways, it will be interesting to come back to this thread at season's end.

-9fA

I'm telling you.. If you give Orton some targets (ala Marshall and Royal) he's going to do very well and Cutler has no one to throw to in Chicago... Orton will surprise everyone who doesn't really watch chicago football and Chicago fans will be disappointed also if they don't find Cutler some help.
Originally posted by socalfan21:

hes got Marshall, Scheff, Royal, and alottttt of weaponsss. Wouldnt be surprised Orton goes 3,250yds 22td with a nice QB rating

that is a very bold statement.. i think cutler and his arm will find a way to make it back to the pro bowl
Originally posted by Joecool:
This is going to be very interesting. We have always tried to argue in support or against certain players by comparing their talents around them or how we think they would fair on another team.

Joe Montana proved everyone wrong about the fact that he could probably only make that 49ers team succeed and wouldn't fair well on another team.

This is going to be interesting.

Kyle Orton has a similar throwing ability as Jay Cutler does but he lacked talent around him. Now they switch roles. I actually thought Orton would be a good NFL QB when he was drafted so it's time to see.

We can also see how Jay Cutler, a guy who can physically do what any QB in the league can do will fair on an offense with less talent, but with a defense that can support him.

Matt Cassell is the ultimate unproven QB landing on an uber talented offense. I wonder if he can give the NFL an encore, which will be difficult to do, but let's see if he can show to be at least an average QB.

KC has an uber talented offense? They've got Bowe who is impressive. They've got LJ who still has some miles in the tank. But who am I forgetting?
Orton ain't half bad. I like him better than Cassell. Jay Cutler blows them both away though.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

that is a very bold statement.. i think cutler and his arm will find a way to make it back to the pro bowl

Its not a bold statement. Its called common sense. Go watch some old bears games from last year. Their O line was horrid and same to say for their Wide out core.

Orton has a lot of good WRs now with Marshall, Royal and Sheff. McDaniels and crew knew what they were doing. they got 3 picks and a decent QB who will get them to the post season with them drafting 2 Defensive players in the mid first round who will be ready to start.

How? Orton is will get beat out by Chris Simms.
Share 49ersWebzone