LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

Is the real smash mouth team across the bay?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by danimal:
I think in the Bay Area you would have to refer to the Raiders as the real smash mouth team. Tom Cable comes in 2007 after helping the Falcons lead the NFL in rushing....and he has the Raiders averaging just under 130 yards a game over 2 seasons. And that is 2 seasons of losing football, almost always behind football, playing against a stacked box football...AND they still manage to drop 130 yards on their opponents. Now that Tom Cable also got the permanent position after being an interim HC, his philosphy will become even more deeply embedded. If McFadden turns it on now...look out.

f**k Oakland
Seriously, f**k the Raiders and their owner the Cryptkeeper...
Eff the Raiders!!
He has improved their rushing attack, but not as much as the stats would lead you to believe.

2006: 94.9 yds/gm (29th in NFL), 3.9 yds/car (T18th in NFL)

2007: 130.4 yds/gm (6th in NFL), 4.1 yds/car (T11th in NFL)
2008: 124.2 yds/gm (10th in NFL), 4.3 yds/car (T10th in NFL)

Their focus has shifted to a more run-oriented offense. Their rushing attack did jump from 29th to 6th in 2007, but their yards per carry stayed nearly the same. They just rushed more often. If you look at total attempts by season, they correlate with the increase in yards per game (no surprise there). In 2006: 30th in total attempts, 2007: 4th, and in 2008: 10th.

I think the comments about their poor passing game influencing their rushing stats hold true. They are one of the worst passing teams in the league; therefore, they run more often. That doesn't necessarily mean they're a strong running team though.

Also, to say that the Raiders faced more prevent defenses, seems like a poor assumption to me. Everyone knows that Oakland can't beat you through the air. Similar to us, they saw their fair share run-oriented defenses, with 8 in the box.
As much as we want to try, I don't think we will ever be a successful smash mouth team on offense.

I think the only way we are smash mouth is through our defense. Our offense needs to be efficient and spreading the ball around to multiple players more than anything.
I think in the Bay Area you would have to refer to the Raiders as the real smash mouth team. Tom Cable comes in 2007 after helping the Falcons lead the NFL in rushing....and he has the Raiders averaging just under 130 yards a game over 2 seasons. And that is 2 seasons of losing football, almost always behind football, playing against a stacked box football...AND they still manage to drop 130 yards on their opponents. Now that Tom Cable also got the permanent position after being an interim HC, his philosphy will become even more deeply embedded. If McFadden turns it on now...look out.

are u a closet Raider fan?.........

McFadden is going to be a bust,he has twigs for legs.
Originally posted by King49er:

If Garcia starts, Raiders will get 10 wins.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by King49er:

If Garcia starts, Raiders will get 10 wins.

It's possible I guess
Why are some of you busting his balls about this thread. He is right, the Raiders running game is impressive. Especially with no Qb and no WR's it amazing they are this effective running the ball.

i think bush is better than mcfadden
Tom Cable is definitely a smash mouth coach - literally, but the smash mouth team is the 9ers.
The Raiders are a smashed-mouth team now that Darren McFadden's not healthy.
Its great to come across a gem of a time capsule of a thread....Yes I would say they are the real smash mouth team....don't argue with the coach or he'll smash your f**king mouth.

[ Edited by Youngone on Oct 6, 2009 at 12:14:22 ]
Share 49ersWebzone