LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

BREAKING NEWS: Broncos trade Cutler to the Bears

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It would appear initially that Denver raped Chicago in that trade.

Cutler + 5th..

For..

1st, 1st, 3rd, and Kyle Orton.

If Kyle Orton, with no protection and no WR's could do as well as he did.. I'm wondering what'll happen in Denver if he starts with receivers to throw to, and protection, if he gets that.

Love the deal for Denver. Orton could step up and be very servicable in that offense. Plus they'll have the 12th and 19th this year, two first rounders next year and an extra 3rd this year? Great move.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
It's actually Orton and the 09 and 10 first rounders from the Bears for Cutler and this year's 3rd rounder from Denver.

Hmm, a bit higher price than I would have wanted to pay, but if Smith or Hill (and the draft picks) would have gotten us the same deal, I would probably take it.

Orton is worthless, and will not be more than a backup, (more or less the same if we trades Smith or Hill).

So it's really just a 1st rounder this year for cutler (which is where Denver could find their real QB of the future) and then trading a 3rd this year for a first next year.

It would still give you a chance to get a great player. Hell a 3rd rounder on our team (Gore) is better than almost any first rounder in the NFL. And Cutler is certainly worth at least a 1st rounder plus a bit, and that's what the trade is.

Sounds pricey at first, but getting that 3rd rounder back this year helps a lot and with a few good picks plus Cutler, Chicago's first rounder next year might not be worth quite so much and Devner's 3rd rounder could easily be a high pick if they are counting on Orton or a rook.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. (For Chicago.) How it works out for Denver will depend a ton on if their picks work out.

what he said

Umm, No. What I said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f93745&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4037683&categoryid=2459789

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4037373

Your source is TexasNiner?

your right but in the initial report it said cutler and a third for 2 firsts and a 5th
I guess they corrected themselves

still terrible trade, bears got raped

I'm not sure who got it wrong earlier, but when the trade happened, NFL Network reported it correctly. Was it ESPN that got it wrong initially?

yeah ESPN reported 2 1sts and a 5th for overrated and a 3rd

LOL. I hope you are right cuz I hate those Rats .. I mean the bears.
Originally posted by SacRock14:

Cutler + 5th..

For..

If Kyle Orton, with no protection and no WR's could do as well as he did.. I'm wondering what'll happen in Denver if he starts with receivers to throw to, and protection, if he gets that.

Love the deal for Denver. Orton could step up and be very servicable in that offense. Plus they'll have the 12th and 19th this year, two first rounders next year and an extra 3rd this year? Great move.

I hope they take their QB this year. Because I am worried they can easily trade their 2 firsts next year to get Bradford. One of those 1st are guaranteed to be very high (their own pick).
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by danimal:
I still can't believe this happened. Man, I can't dog out McDaniels too much, how could he have known Cutler would have went ballistic?

Well they can always draft another QB...then they have to wait for 3 years to find out if he is any good or not

I have always believed, the most valuable commodity in the NFL is a QB entering his 4th season with more than 30 starts and a better than 80 career rating. To me, it simply does not get better than that. I doubt I am ever going to see anything like that...a 25 year old QB on a new team who is in all likelihood is going to get 10 straight years of having a top 10 QB.

The Bears now officially have 10 years to get the missing pieces in place and they are not even that far off right now.

As for McDaniel's. The guy is an idiot. Apparently a number of players have complained that he isn't very approachable. He certainly didn't do anything to ease the situation between him and Cutler.

Of course, Cutler didn't do anything to help the situation either. I got a vibe that he came off as slightly arrogant but i can understand his concerns.

As for the Bears, how are they going to get their missing pieces?
Draft picks?
FA? With an uncapped year looming?

Let's hope they have a great metal detector to help them find all those hidden 'gems'.

-9fA

Hmmm...so according to your logic 1st round picks are gold and should never be traded...yet 2nd round picks are useless? I don't get it. Why assume the Bears won't find players in the 2nd or 3rd rounds? And if you are going to assume that, why not assume they would have wasted their 1st picks also.

And I said the Bears now have 10 years to play with. I suggest you read the trade details again, they did not trade away picks for the next 10 years.

And what inside info do you have that you know so much about who will be a factor and who won't in a uncapped era.

You sure are easily amused
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I still can't believe this happened. Man, I can't dog out McDaniels too much, how could he have known Cutler would have went ballistic?

Well they can always draft another QB...then they have to wait for 3 years to find out if he is any good or not

I have always believed, the most valuable commodity in the NFL is a QB entering his 4th season with more than 30 starts and a better than 80 career rating. To me, it simply does not get better than that. I doubt I am ever going to see anything like that...a 25 year old QB on a new team who is in all likelihood is going to get 10 straight years of having a top 10 QB.

The Bears now officially have 10 years to get the missing pieces in place and they are not even that far off right now.

As for McDaniel's. The guy is an idiot. Apparently a number of players have complained that he isn't very approachable. He certainly didn't do anything to ease the situation between him and Cutler.

Of course, Cutler didn't do anything to help the situation either. I got a vibe that he came off as slightly arrogant but i can understand his concerns.

As for the Bears, how are they going to get their missing pieces?
Draft picks?
FA? With an uncapped year looming?

Let's hope they have a great metal detector to help them find all those hidden 'gems'.

-9fA

Hmmm...so according to your logic 1st round picks are gold and should never be traded...yet 2nd round picks are useless? I don't get it. Why assume the Bears won't find players in the 2nd or 3rd rounds? And if you are going to assume that, why not assume they would have wasted their 1st picks also.

And I said the Bears now have 10 years to play with. I suggest you read the trade details again, they did not trade away picks for the next 10 years.

And what inside info do you have that you know so much about who will be a factor and who won't in a uncapped era.

You know what would be funny. If Cutler doesn't resign with them when he becomes a FA in 2 years. Then he goes to whatever team Mike Shanahan is coaching at the time. Those Rats would get some karma coming to them.
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 2, 2009 at 8:27 PM ]
Broncos will make the playoffs in 2009
Bears will not make the playoffs in 2009

Book It!!!!
Im calling it right now!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Book It!!!!
Im calling it right now!

LOL funny s**t like that always happens in the NFL.

Book It!!!!
Im calling it right now!

Book It!!!!
Im calling it right now!

That's a pretty bold statement considering the draft hasn't happend yet. Plus training camp, injuries etc.. You are bold. Do you want to bet some real $ on it?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Cutler + 5th..

For..

Unfortunately he wont have an awesome running game and a good defense to bail him out

It's actually Orton and the 09 and 10 first rounders from the Bears for Cutler and this year's 3rd rounder from Denver.

Hmm, a bit higher price than I would have wanted to pay, but if Smith or Hill (and the draft picks) would have gotten us the same deal, I would probably take it.

Orton is worthless, and will not be more than a backup, (more or less the same if we trades Smith or Hill).

So it's really just a 1st rounder this year for cutler (which is where Denver could find their real QB of the future) and then trading a 3rd this year for a first next year.

It would still give you a chance to get a great player. Hell a 3rd rounder on our team (Gore) is better than almost any first rounder in the NFL. And Cutler is certainly worth at least a 1st rounder plus a bit, and that's what the trade is.

Sounds pricey at first, but getting that 3rd rounder back this year helps a lot and with a few good picks plus Cutler, Chicago's first rounder next year might not be worth quite so much and Devner's 3rd rounder could easily be a high pick if they are counting on Orton or a rook.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. (For Chicago.) How it works out for Denver will depend a ton on if their picks work out.

what he said

Very true. I can't remember who we traded for a 3rd and 4th and one of them ended up being Brandon Williams. It's bugging me that I can't remember.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Cutler + 5th..

For..

Unfortunately he wont have an awesome running game and a good defense to bail him out

Bail him out from what? He doesn't throw many INTs or incompletions even. He's very Shaun Hill like, he doesn't have the strongest arm but he's accurate and moves the chains. And Chicago's D was pretty terrible last year, they were like 29th in passing and I don't remember the run stats. But they weren't good. He and Forte were the only reason they even had a shot at the playoffs. That D is aging, their OL is a makeshift OL. Cutler is going to be on his ass A LOT.

McDaniels will fix Denver's running game. He had 1 of the best running games in the NFL last year with NE and he had a bunch of injuries, in total they used like:

Laurence Maroney
Kevin Faulk
BenJarvus Green Ellis
LaMont Jordan
Sammy Morris

they rushed for a total of 2,278 yards and 21 TDs.

With that 18th pick they can go Moreno or Wells anyway, or pick a couple RBs with their 3rd/4th round picks.

I'm not a huge fan of McDaniels but he is a good offensive coach and Denver was a long way away from being a solid team, so this move is great for them. They got rid of a turnover prone QB for an accurate one who will do better in their system, and they got 2 picks this year+a first rounder next year. This is going to excellerate their rebuild for sure.
Originally posted by teeohh:

what he said

Very true. I can't remember who we traded for a 3rd and 4th and one of them ended up being Brandon Williams. It's bugging me that I can't remember.

Brandon Lloyd

Considering that Cutler was a first round selection, yes i think it is a good idea to hold onto your first round picks. I feel that you have a better chance of finding a pro-bowler in the 1st round than the 7th. Do you disagree with this?

Your 10 year statement assumes that Cutler:
1. signs a very, very, long extension
2. doesn't not throw any more tantrums
3. does not get injured
4. plays at a consistent top 5 QB level.

Yes, i think we can both agree that draft picks can go both ways - pro-bowlers or busts. That doesn't mean that you should take draft picks for granted.

You don't need to be a genius to recognize that more and more teams now have the flexibility and cap room to keep their own star players from hitting FA. Just take a look at the latest FA.

-9fA
Originally posted by teeohh:

what he said

Brandon Lloyd

I guess we both failed on that trade
Share 49ersWebzone