Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
For all you guys bashing Hill on his arm, I'll take a win over arm strength any day.

All the tight spirals Alex has thrown have not amounted in wins. Not even last Sunday.

Besides none of you guys ever even played the position. You guys are better suited to be stand up comedians.

3-3 isn't winning. I hope Hill has a good career fishing though.

10-6 record as a starter is.

We're in 2009 now. He isn't a winner anymore, but since you're apparently so stuck on the past, let's just bring in Steve Young to play QB.

Well how many games has Alex Smith won since we're stuck in the past? I already stated that I have no problem with Alex starting. What I have problem with is that everyone is banging on Hill when all he did is win games for us. Arm strength has nothing to do it with it.

1) Are you watching the same game we are?

2) He wasn't winning. We're 3-3. That's not winning. Had we kept Hill in there, he would've had another pathetic game against the Colts defense and he would've actually been losing (3-4). At least now we have a shot.

3) Arm strength has everything to do with it. Your boy Hill doesn't scare anyone and can't make half the throws Smith made in the 2nd half against Houston.

4) Hill is older than Smith with no upside.

5) Hill has no athletic ability whatsoever. Don't you find it rather interested that once Smith took over, suddenly the pass game, run game, OL, and defense all mysteriously started to look better? It's because of Smith's ability. Even if he doesn't connect on deep throws, the fact that he can changes the way the defense plays. Or are you one of these people that believe everyone else just happened to randomly start playing better once Smith entered the game?

6) While Smith was busy during the bye throwing passes to Crabtree, Hill was fishing and having fun, apparently satisfied with his level of play.

There are many reasons why people think poorly of Hill. Like I said, hopefully he has a good career fishing.

You want arm strength go trade for Jamarcus Russell. As soon as we start losing it's all Hill's fault. Boy, for the sake of our team I really hope Alex has a good game against Indianapolis. Because winning is all that matters at the end of the day.

Bad example. Arm strength alone doesn't do much good, but when you have a QB who puts it all together like Smith did in the 2nd half of the Houston game, then you're on to something.

For the record, Smith had more TDs in that half then Russell does all season (3 vs. 2). I'm not saying Smith is the next Manning, but all I know is that he's miles ahead of Hill and he SHOULD be our starting QB. Besides, what's the point of drafting a Lamborghini if you have a Kia throwing to him? I'm glad Singletary made the move and didn't wait too long. We need to see what we have in Smith anyway. Let's say Hill remains our starter. We go what, 8-8 or 9-7 at best? We miss the playoffs and we still don't know who's going to play QB. At least know, we'll still go 8-8 or 9-7 minimum, and we get to find out if Smith is the answer or not, once and for all.

Again people are missing my point. I totally agree to yank Hill at this point. He did start to struggle after the Atlanta game. But I don't think he should be bashed for getting us to this point. He did what he could and now it's Alex's time to shine.

He never lost us the game ala JTO Sullivan. I would love to see Alex be a franchise quarterback for us for years. I don't want to draft another high priced rookie QB. But if Alex doesn't pan out then here we go again.

Hill did lose us some games, just not the same way O'Sullivan did.

Really? Which ones?

Falcons game and Texans to start with.

Those are good starts. I won't blame him for the Vikings loss, although if we had a better QB in there at the end of the game, we could've possibly killed the clock with some more creative play calling than 3 straight runs into the teeth of the Vikings defense.

I will blame him for the Falcons loss. The defense gave up a lot of points, but a lot of it had to do with the offense putting them in bad positions.

I'll definitely blame him for the Texans loss. The bottom line is he was starting to lose it. The 49ers offense looked pathetic out there. Keep in mind Hill's offense only scored 14 points against the Rams. All those wins you speak of aren't due to Hill's play. If the Rams were a good team, that would've been another loss because the offense couldn't move the ball. It was time for a change.
Originally posted by backontop:
For all you guys bashing Hill on his arm, I'll take a win over arm strength any day.

All the tight spirals Alex has thrown have not amounted in wins. Not even last Sunday.

Besides none of you guys ever even played the position. You guys are better suited to be stand up comedians.

We're in 2009 now. He isn't a winner anymore, but since you're apparently so stuck on the past, let's just bring in Steve Young to play QB.

Well how many games has Alex Smith won since we're stuck in the past? I already stated that I have no problem with Alex starting. What I have problem with is that everyone is banging on Hill when all he did is win games for us. Arm strength has nothing to do it with it.

2) He wasn't winning. We're 3-3. That's not winning. Had we kept Hill in there, he would've had another pathetic game against the Colts defense and he would've actually been losing (3-4). At least now we have a shot.

3) Arm strength has everything to do with it. Your boy Hill doesn't scare anyone and can't make half the throws Smith made in the 2nd half against Houston.

5) Hill has no athletic ability whatsoever. Don't you find it rather interested that once Smith took over, suddenly the pass game, run game, OL, and defense all mysteriously started to look better? It's because of Smith's ability. Even if he doesn't connect on deep throws, the fact that he can changes the way the defense plays. Or are you one of these people that believe everyone else just happened to randomly start playing better once Smith entered the game?

6) While Smith was busy during the bye throwing passes to Crabtree, Hill was fishing and having fun, apparently satisfied with his level of play.

There are many reasons why people think poorly of Hill. Like I said, hopefully he has a good career fishing.

You want arm strength go trade for Jamarcus Russell. As soon as we start losing it's all Hill's fault. Boy, for the sake of our team I really hope Alex has a good game against Indianapolis. Because winning is all that matters at the end of the day.

Bad example. Arm strength alone doesn't do much good, but when you have a QB who puts it all together like Smith did in the 2nd half of the Houston game, then you're on to something.

For the record, Smith had more TDs in that half then Russell does all season (3 vs. 2). I'm not saying Smith is the next Manning, but all I know is that he's miles ahead of Hill and he SHOULD be our starting QB. Besides, what's the point of drafting a Lamborghini if you have a Kia throwing to him? I'm glad Singletary made the move and didn't wait too long. We need to see what we have in Smith anyway. Let's say Hill remains our starter. We go what, 8-8 or 9-7 at best? We miss the playoffs and we still don't know who's going to play QB. At least know, we'll still go 8-8 or 9-7 minimum, and we get to find out if Smith is the answer or not, once and for all.

Again people are missing my point. I totally agree to yank Hill at this point. He did start to struggle after the Atlanta game. But I don't think he should be bashed for getting us to this point. He did what he could and now it's Alex's time to shine.

He never lost us the game ala JTO Sullivan. I would love to see Alex be a franchise quarterback for us for years. I don't want to draft another high priced rookie QB. But if Alex doesn't pan out then here we go again.

Really? Which ones?

Forget it. I'm done with you guys.

We win we win!!!

I sure hope so with Alex the rest of the year. Because if not

I'll be back

Really? Which ones?

Betterdayz,

Don't worry about it. Most of us get what you are saying and agree. It's just a small few on here that want to start bashing people if they say the slightest negative thing against Smith or positive thing for any other QB...

Hill did good things for this team and people should not knock what he's done. Even the die hard Smith supporters should be happy that Hill has been there to mentor and compete with Smith. It's only made him better!
Why are you guys still bashing the guy...f**king pathetic...
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Really? Which ones?

Betterdayz,

Don't worry about it. Most of us get what you are saying and agree. It's just a small few on here that want to start bashing people if they say the slightest negative thing against Smith or positive thing for any other QB...

Hill did good things for this team and people should not knock what he's done. Even the die hard Smith supporters should be happy that Hill has been there to mentor and compete with Smith. It's only made him better!

I'm all for whatever helps us win. COME ON ALEX,
.damn joecool,

jto
shaun hill

LOL
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Why are you guys still bashing the guy...f**king pathetic...

why does it bother you so much?
  • B650
  • Veteran

Really? Which ones?

We win we win!!!

I sure hope so with Alex the rest of the year. Because if not

I'll be back

You'll probably see Nate Davis before you see Shaun Hill again starting on this team. Smith is going to make the best of this opportunity, and if not, we'll draft a QB next season. I appreciate all the things Hill did for us, but the bottom line is it wasn't good enough. We aren't winning a playoff game, let alone a Super Bowl with Hill starting. He was a gamer; he had toughness. Unfortunately, he didn't have enough talent.
I think it's time then to have this thread

The Hill Starship hit its maximum ceiling, the engine sputtered in the thin air, it finally iced up and shuts down. It was a nice run Shaun, but you can't take us where we want to go on offense. It's time to let the Smith Starship take flight again. It had been repaired with a new engine, faster computer, better navigation system, and less prone to icing.

It's like a moon shot. Some people don't think they'll ever make it. And some sits back, appreciate the effort and witness where this may take us.

Go! Smith!
I'm given it all she's got cptn!
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
I will blame him for the Falcons loss. The defense gave up a lot of points, but a lot of it had to do with the offense putting them in bad positions.

I'll definitely blame him for the Texans loss. The bottom line is he was starting to lose it. The 49ers offense looked pathetic out there.

They looked lousy against both HOU and ATL when Hill was in there.

But "bad positions"? Again, what is it with this trying to excuse the D? Singletary himself said there were problems, and beyond the helmet/Willis situation. He can say it. But the fans here seem oblivious.

Boo-hoo, again, as I said on gameday, that a defense has to play on a short field.

Boo-hoo, again and again, that defense has to play the first quarter without rest. It can happen. It's on them. The opponent gets a long ground-pounding or short pass drive going. Who or whomever is there to stop them? Where's the white knight on horseback to save the damsel D?

There ain't one coming. If the D is 'tired' for being on the field too long - well - GET OFF THE FIELD! Stop the drive.

It's what a D do.
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
You'll probably see Nate Davis before you see Shaun Hill again

Nate could have talent. Hill is good at seeing the field, mostly. And he had the magic when it came to turnovers, the other team couldn't handle his wobbly passes. Smith, it's the perfect pass for the other team. INT!

I think Hill would be back in there if we see the same ole Alex against Indy. That will be on what he sees by way of INTs, and whether the O-line can give him three seconds to throw.
Originally posted by dust-7:
You'll probably see Nate Davis before you see Shaun Hill again

Nate could have talent. Hill is good at seeing the field, mostly. And he had the magic when it came to turnovers, the other team couldn't handle his wobbly passes. Smith, it's the perfect pass for the other team. INT!

I think Hill would be back in there if we see the same ole Alex against Indy. That will be on what he sees by way of INTs, and whether the O-line can give him three seconds to throw.

I don't think so. Alex Smith will play this entire game, even if he plays sub-par. And personally, his demeanor in the 2nd half vs. the Texans and the way he's handled himself all week have been showing maturity and a humbleness that tells me him getting injured, having a coach bulls**t with him, and being humiliated as a #1 overall bust have caused him to just not give a f**k what others think and go out there and do what he does best -- play football. Go alex! Go niners!
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Oct 29, 2009 at 5:34 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone