OFFICIAL: The Shaun Hill Starship

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by MaNnY09:
Originally posted by 3m10s:
Originally posted by Tombo:
why does everyone like shuan hill...?
he has no arm..

Actually he's got 2 arms, and heart. Oh, and he also wins games and ends up with good Q/B ratings.

He also con convert 3rd downs, throws more TD's than INT's, generally makes good decisions with the football and has a feel for the game, leading to finding open receivers/throwing them open for completed passes. Alex may have a better arm, but he is not yet a better QB.

i'd rather take a healthy alex smith then a healthy shaun hill anyday...thats just me
what about you guys..?
dn't tell me you guys are alex smith haters..?

I like Alex and they both have had limited opportunities but at this point Shaun has shown he's way more ready to play than Alex has and he's a better decision maker with a better pocket presence and he's more accurate. I'm not saying things won't eventually work out for Alex, and I hope they do here, but he's coming off of 2 shoulder surgeries and Shaun has played at a higher level than a healthy Smith IMO. That's why I'd start Shaun and let Alex sit and learn.
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
for months now all i hear about is alex smith having a break out season and how he never had a fair shot at being a starter! i personally think that Shaun Hill will be our guy this year and i'm hoping it pans out that way in the preseason and into the regular season! in the 49er nation who is with me? i feel this way cause through all adversity shaun hill has came out with a over .500 record and he never cried about being on the bench when jt o'sully was the starter (which i thought was total BS.) last years pre season alex smith time over time threw to our recievers off target leaving them fully exposed for safetys and linebackers and corners to totally take cracks at them and possibly risking our wr for injury! in practice shaun hill might not look as good as alex smith, but that's practice! ESPN and NFL NETWORK doesn't talk about plays on practice! we talk about plays in games! WHOS WITH ME??? SHAUN HILL BABY!

p.s. front office! lets get rid of one of our 1st rounders next year and get another pass rusher! (JULIUS PEPPERS) wink wink!

Hill is just a stop gap, now he can win games for us and will probably help us win the division this season, but he is not the future, and I think and hope Scoty Mac got that extra 1st rounder so we can get one of those 2 Big XII QB's.
i'm just posting a thread that shows my support for shaun hill and i'm a honest blogger by saying Alex Smith has never been a positive for the 49ers! i knew i was gonna get all kinds of feed back showing support for the kid but i'm just speaking of what i see. plain and simple i never thought alex smith was worth the 1st overall pick and i think many would agree with me and i just honestly think he will go down as another bust. if this year he proves me wrong then that's good for me cause i'm first a niners fan not a a alex smith fan. so if he somehow he can put a W on the board for us if he is our starter then cudos! i just think he has a lot to prove himself in a orginization that has alot to prove this year. oh and to you who said shaun hill has no arm... neither did JOE MONTANA. but he was the best to play this game!
he has no arm..

everyone said joe montana had no arm!
Originally posted by NickSh49:
1. last years pre season alex smith time over time threw to our recievers off target leaving them fully exposed for safetys and linebackers and corners to totally take cracks at them and possibly risking our wr for injury!

2. p.s. front office! lets get rid of one of our 1st rounders next year and get another pass rusher! (JULIUS PEPPERS) wink wink!

1. Smith was hurt, and this statement is a complete conjecture.

2. Let's not, wink wink.

so where was i wrong? by saying he hasn't done anything for the niners? cause i dunno where you been but tell me when he took us to the playoffs? NOT NEVAH! and the whole thing about julius peppers... i would trade our 1st rounder and manny lawson for peppers. linebacking is not what's hurting us! it's the pass rushing. lawson is known for dropping back into coverage! if we had peppers for sure our linebackers and corners would for sure step it up!
I just want either Hill or Smith to step up and take control of this team. Im kinda rooting for both of them so im not going to hate on either of them. I really cant wait to see them play in the preseason.
Raye's offense seems to suit Shaun very well...so, I'd expect him to have a very good season. He'll have an improved OL, excellent WR and TE corps, and a power running game to fuel it. I hope Alex gets back to the confidence level he had at the end of the 2006 season...the last two seasons have been miserable for him. It's proven every year you must have quality b/u QB's.
1. last years pre season alex smith time over time threw to our recievers off target leaving them fully exposed for safetys and linebackers and corners to totally take cracks at them and possibly risking our wr for injury!

2. p.s. front office! lets get rid of one of our 1st rounders next year and get another pass rusher! (JULIUS PEPPERS) wink wink!

2. Let's not, wink wink.

A. so where was i wrong? by saying he hasn't done anything for the niners? cause i dunno where you been but tell me when he took us to the playoffs? NOT NEVAH!

B. and the whole thing about julius peppers... i would trade our 1st rounder and manny lawson for peppers. linebacking is not what's hurting us! it's the pass rushing. lawson is known for dropping back into coverage! if we had peppers for sure our linebackers and corners would for sure step it up!

A-1. No, you said he was putting our WR's at risk of injury during the 2008 preseason, by where he threw the ball. This never happened and was never reported on by any beat writer. It's your interpretation of events, which is factually baseless. Also, Alex was hurt during the 2008 preseason, a reason his accuracy may have been off.

A-2. Also regarding Alex, his last healthy game was in September 2007. His only full season at the position was in 2006. It is difficult when you are injured to take your team to the playoffs, but maybe that isn't easy for you to comprehend.

A-3. Accounting for A-2, when was Alex supposed to lead us to the playoffs? 2006? With Sammy Davis playing CB & Tony Parrish/Keith Lewis at FS? With Vernon Davis injured for half the season? With Kwame Harris at RT?

B. I'm glad you are not our GM. You would give up a 2010 #1 choice and a former #1 pick for a 30 yr old pass rusher. Then you'd b***h and whine next spring when we only have one #1 pick and can't move up to get the new QB we want.

And lastly regarding Alex, it's OK not to like him as a player... I get it and I've argued a ton about him. But really, to have expected Alex Smith to take us to the playoffs at any point, knowing the injuries he's had, is ridiculous. The only year he had was 2006, and that was not a playoff team my friend.

2. Let's not, wink wink.

A. so where was i wrong? by saying he hasn't done anything for the niners? cause i dunno where you been but tell me when he took us to the playoffs? NOT NEVAH!

B. and the whole thing about julius peppers... i would trade our 1st rounder and manny lawson for peppers. linebacking is not what's hurting us! it's the pass rushing. lawson is known for dropping back into coverage! if we had peppers for sure our linebackers and corners would for sure step it up!

A-1. No, you said he was putting our WR's at risk of injury during the 2008 preseason, by where he threw the ball. This never happened and was never reported on by any beat writer. It's your interpretation of events, which is factually baseless. Also, Alex was hurt during the 2008 preseason, a reason his accuracy may have been off.

A-2. Also regarding Alex, his last healthy game was in September 2007. His only full season at the position was in 2006. It is difficult when you are injured to take your team to the playoffs, but maybe that isn't easy for you to comprehend.

A-3. Accounting for A-2, when was Alex supposed to lead us to the playoffs? 2006? With Sammy Davis playing CB & Tony Parrish/Keith Lewis at FS? With Vernon Davis injured for half the season? With Kwame Harris at RT?

B. I'm glad you are not our GM. You would give up a 2010 #1 choice and a former #1 pick for a 30 yr old pass rusher. Then you'd b***h and whine next spring when we only have one #1 pick and can't move up to get the new QB we want.

And lastly regarding Alex, it's OK not to like him as a player... I get it and I've argued a ton about him. But really, to have expected Alex Smith to take us to the playoffs at any point, knowing the injuries he's had, is ridiculous. The only year he had was 2006, and that was not a playoff team my friend.

why would we move up in the draft next year when we have alex smith??? right... haha. anyways i don't believe in picking a qb in the top of the draft boards. we already made that mistake! and the only reason why i said anything about peppers was cause i felt this year we shoulda made a move for orakpo or maybin especially cause our depth at recievers is pretty raw. jason hill is young and has way upside and josh morgan. we didn't need anymore threats especially if vernon davis comes out to be the player we expect of him. maybe i'd make a bad gm but i honestly think that if we just gave back the pick we got from the panthers anyways we would have prolly the best defenses in the league. i guess i just have to see what lawson has to do this year. it's been 2 years since he was projected to be a beast!
  • hps49
  • Veteran
awesome post. Shaun hill will be better than romo the homo and Eli manning

he has no arm..

having a big arm doesn't equivalate to success, a la JaMarcus Russell, Jim Drunkenmiller, Daunte Culpepper... etc.

Hill can WIN END OF STORY

oops, i almost forgot...

2. Let's not, wink wink.

so where was i wrong? by saying he hasn't done anything for the niners? cause i dunno where you been but tell me when he took us to the playoffs? NOT NEVAH! and the whole thing about julius peppers... i would trade our 1st rounder and manny lawson for peppers. linebacking is not what's hurting us! it's the pass rushing. lawson is known for dropping back into coverage! if we had peppers for sure our linebackers and corners would for sure step it up!

As you are using this as a Hill vs Smith argument, perhaps you could let me know when Hill took us to the playoffs as I appear to have overslept and missed it.

I have no idea why this issue has become so divisive. I generally lean towards being a Smith supporter but if Hill is the guy then ******** it, he is playing the position and Go Hill! Why do Hill supporters have to trash Smith and vice versa?

Regarding giving up Lawson AND a 1st rounder for Peppers, um no. No no no no no no no no.

This is a young team and I think Peppers will be over the hill when they mature together. Lawson is apparently going to be let loose this year so I want to see what he can do before I give up on him. Peppers is a good player but I would only offer up a 2nd for him. Next year's draft looks strong and I am looking forward to seeing two new playmakers out of it.
Originally posted by English:

2. Let's not, wink wink.

As you are using this as a Hill vs Smith argument, perhaps you could let me know when Hill took us to the playoffs as I appear to have overslept and missed it.

I have no idea why this issue has become so divisive. I generally lean towards being a Smith supporter but if Hill is the guy then ******** it, he is playing the position and Go Hill! Why do Hill supporters have to trash Smith and vice versa?

Regarding giving up Lawson AND a 1st rounder for Peppers, um no. No no no no no no no no.

This is a young team and I think Peppers will be over the hill when they mature together. Lawson is apparently going to be let loose this year so I want to see what he can do before I give up on him. Peppers is a good player but I would only offer up a 2nd for him. Next year's draft looks strong and I am looking forward to seeing two new playmakers out of it.

I also don't get the Smith hate (see the post above by BigMike). Fans should be rooting for both guys to excel.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Raye's offense seems to suit Shaun very well...so, I'd expect him to have a very good season. He'll have an improved OL, excellent WR and TE corps, and a power running game to fuel it. I hope Alex gets back to the confidence level he had at the end of the 2006 season...the last two seasons have been miserable for him. It's proven every year you must have quality b/u QB's.

I couldn't have said it any better.
Originally posted by goldthumb68:
i was always rooting for shaun.remember when the only time you saw him was in preseason and all those comeback preseason wins were because of hill making a comeback.he may suck in practice but he is a gamer when it counts.im with ya

I was on the same page with you early in 07 and 08. Smith's three and outs outshined his supposed "growth" in 06, and I remember wanting Hill to play if not those first 3 games in 07, then at least after Smith went down... Arghh, now I am mad thinking of how much a douche Nolan was/is....
Share 49ersWebzone