*****OFFICIAL NFL COMBINE SITE******

• NYSunDevil49er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by NYSunDevil49er:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Josh Barrett at 6'1 223 lbs ran a 4.35 40 .

DRC ran a 4.33!!! definitely gone before we draft now.

OMG. what round is barrett projected to go in??

Barrett has been projected anywhere from the 3rd to the 6th. He was falling before the combine for good reason. He had a really bad senior season and never played up to his athletic ability. Even as an ASU homer, I wouldn't take him until the 5th, he just doesn't play up to his potential and gets hurt too much.

I could have told you he was going to blaze. Our speedy RB Keegan Herring, a former track star and supposed fastest player on the team lost a 40 yard foot race like a year or two ago to Josh Barrett, and had to shave a mohawk as a result.

i dont know much about barrett. did he play at CB or safety. cus he might do well at safety especially with his size.

He played Safety. And the "he didn't play up to his potential" is BS. He was injured the whole senior season, first the groin then i believe it was the knee. And he still finished second on the team in pass break ups. So the knock is can he stay healthy, not about his potential.

He did extremely well in his junior year when he was healthy. Won team defensive MVP, All-Pac 10 honorable mention.

I recall MD saying Barrett has stiff hips earlier in the year and he does get beat on the deep pass occasionally, especially in play action.

Barrett is a workout warrior, gym rat kind of guy. He wasn't so physically impressive coming into ASU, real big pleasant surprise . High motor guy coaches love, student of the game. Excels in press coverage, excellent in run support. With his combine numbers he will be taken in the 3rd IMO.

I didn't say he didn't have potential, I said he didn't play up to it. I say this because he is so physically talented, but doesn't play up to his physical capabilities.

I would argue that he did not have that impressive of a junior season either. All Pac-10 honorable mention really isn't much to brag about as a defensive player.

I think to draft him in the 3rd would be a real reach personally. He was the 3rd best DB ASU had this year behind Tryon and Nolan. Just underachieved in my opinion. And while he is a physical player, he is injury prone. And that he excels in press coverage won't matter that much playing Safety.
Interesting note on Jeffrey Otah:

Jeff Otah of Pitt had the slowest time among the offensive linemen at 5.56 but he's just eight weeks removed from a high ankle sprain and started re-training only two weeks ago. He's considered a first-round prospect.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3266038
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Well, the final day of the combine is never a letdown with the CB's. Here are some notes on the players who seemed to solidify, raise, or lose stock. It is a festival of little-known or small school guys.

First, the winner for today was Rodgers-Cromartie, who appears to be the complete package. He's tall, ran well in drills, and blistered a fast 40 at an official 4.33. Tom Shaw's camp really does a great job of preparing players for the combine. I think that Rodgers-Cromartie jumps into the top 20 picks, but behind.....

Troy's Leodis McKelvin, who ran fast at an official 4.38, and looked dynamite in drills. Although shorter than Rodgers-Cromartie, McKelvin has the best chance to be the first CB off the board.

After both McKelvin and DRC (as known on this board), the third slot should fall to Mike Jenkins, who ran a solid 4.38, and looked sharp in drills. Some character issues have popped up that might cause Jenkins to slide toward the bottom end of round 1, but he is a true talent.

The last possible CB to make the first round is Indiana's Tracy Porter. A couple of weeks ago, I relayed some information I had from a friend in the NFL who said that Porter was trying to run a 4.30. He thought the number would be under 4.35. When Porter's unofficial number was posted at 4.45, I was shocked. However, the official number moved the right direction to 4.37. Not the fastest, but in the top five.

Tyvon Branch and Orlando Scandrick have been moving up board this offseason, and with the best times this session (along with Justin King), will both possibly crack the top 100 picks. Scandrick has been watched very closely by the Browns, and they could pick him as early as the third round.

Justin King is a head scratcher. All the talent in the world, but he did not perform well in 2007. His 4.31 will have coaches and scouts reviewing tape day and night. He's a very immature young man, but has a world of talent.

Josh Barrett's time at 4.35 might be the most impressive at the entire combine. The guy weighs nearly 225 pounds. Good for him.

Have you scrambled the big board yet with all the combine results factored in?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean:
Interesting note on Jeffrey Otah:

Jeff Otah of Pitt had the slowest time among the offensive linemen at 5.56 but he's just eight weeks removed from a high ankle sprain and started re-training only two weeks ago. He's considered a first-round prospect.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3266038

He's a big boy, so I didn't expect a great run from him, but that explains his performance. If he makes it to #29, he'd be hard to pass on. He could even play OG, depending on Jennings' status. Otah and Staley would make a very nice pair of young tackles.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Share 49ersWebzone