LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

*****OFFICIAL NFL COMBINE SITE******

Originally posted by 49ersfan4life:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean:
Donnie Avery measured in at 5-foot-11, 192....that's pretty solid for a guy who could break 4.30 if he's able to run (bad hammie).

The whole WR board is an entire mess right now, and ripe for the picking. It would not shock me anymore to see a sleeper 2nd rounder jump up, and leapfrog all of the bigger named guys.

Watch out for Andre Caldwell, everyone. He's been training down in Florida with Tom Shaw, and rumors are swirling that he will be closer to 4.30 than 4.40. He's got good height and speed, and is very bright. The Niners have to really look hard at him, in my opinion.

This also opens a crack for Manningham to be the number one wide receiver if he erases doubts about his problems in the past, comes in at a solid weight and height, and runs extremely well. I don't see it happening, but stranger things have happened.

And, don't forget about Adarius Bowman, everyone. He's big, strong, and should time pretty well. If he can show better hands at the combine, he could make a run up the boards as well.

James Hardy has been given a gift by the top two guys. We'll see if he performs, and well.

Avery came about the same height as Harry Douglas, and about 20 pounds heavier. Very interesting. There is a chance Avery may not run.

I thought malcolm kelly was projected to be the number 1 WR?

i know he aint running in the combine but still has that hurt him that much do you think?

Since juniors have not been involved in any post-season bowl games, scouts and coaches lean heavier on the combine to measure a player's speed. One of the issues that Kelly has to resolve to solidify a first round grade, is speed. The combine is a neutral-site gauge to see how fast a player is, in straightline speed.

It should hurt him a fair amount. Maybe as much as a half-round.
Devin Thomas is a name that will rise
Donnie Avery measured in at 5-foot-11, 192....that's pretty solid for a guy who could break 4.30 if he's able to run (bad hammie).

The whole WR board is an entire mess right now, and ripe for the picking. It would not shock me anymore to see a sleeper 2nd rounder jump up, and leapfrog all of the bigger named guys.

Watch out for Andre Caldwell, everyone. He's been training down in Florida with Tom Shaw, and rumors are swirling that he will be closer to 4.30 than 4.40. He's got good height and speed, and is very bright. The Niners have to really look hard at him, in my opinion.

This also opens a crack for Manningham to be the number one wide receiver if he erases doubts about his problems in the past, comes in at a solid weight and height, and runs extremely well. I don't see it happening, but stranger things have happened.

And, don't forget about Adarius Bowman, everyone. He's big, strong, and should time pretty well. If he can show better hands at the combine, he could make a run up the boards as well.

James Hardy has been given a gift by the top two guys. We'll see if he performs, and well.

Avery came about the same height as Harry Douglas, and about 20 pounds heavier. Very interesting. There is a chance Avery may not run.

i know he aint running in the combine but still has that hurt him that much do you think?

Since juniors have not been involved in any post-season bowl games, scouts and coaches lean heavier on the combine to measure a player's speed. One of the issues that Kelly has to resolve to solidify a first round grade, is speed. The combine is a neutral-site gauge to see how fast a player is, in straightline speed.

Caldwell is looking better and better. I liked him after the Senior Bowl and it looks like the combine could push him up from mid second to low first.
  • buck
  • Veteran
BOMBSHELL ALERT:

DeSean Jackson- 5'9", 169.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most publications had Jackson listed between 5'11" and 6'. This number today is a real big shock.

5'9"?? 169??

its possible he could be at 29 now.

hmmm

Absolutely.

It depends on his time in the 40-yard dash. Maybe, he has been training to break the combine records in the 40 and the shuttles. A little light, but fast like a .223 Hornet.
  • Canuck9er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Jerry:

Caldwell is looking better and better. I liked him after the Senior Bowl and it looks like the combine could push him up from mid second to low first.

Don't we already have an Andre Caldwell on the team in Jason Hill? Similar bodies, similar speed. Take a look at Hill's Combine stats. The big question about Hill is his durability. I'm not sure it would be a good move to use a high draft choice to duplicate last year's 3rd round pick. Imho, it would be wiser for the team to trade for I. Bruce, who knows the Martz system and can help tutor the other players as well as provide another reliable outlet. Just sayin'.
I still think Jackson will go before number 29, even though his stock is certainly taking a hit at the combine so far.

Here is why:
He is undoubtably the fastest player in the draft. He may not post the fastest time, but his "on the field" speed is unmatched.

In other words, who is faster on a football field: Jason Hill or Ted Ginn? It is not even close.

I think the league will also take a look at who Jackson has been training with the last month or so: The Legend, Jerry Rice. You know scouts, coaches, GM's and every player personnel director is going to pump Rice for questions, and I'm guessing Rice will help Jackson's cause. In other words, if there is a person you want to hang around going into the NFL, it is Jerry Rice.

So, although the thought of Jackson playing around 175 pounds is scary,I believe his speed alone is going to entice some team above the Niners. Dallas is sitting on the board above the Niners, and I've got a feeling Jerry Jones wouldn't mind having a rocket returning punts, and coming in as the number 3 or 4 WR next year. Jackson is one player who immediately upgrades a team that is making a Super Bowl run right now.
I still think Jackson will go before number 29, even though his stock is certainly taking a hit at the combine so far.

Here is why:
He is undoubtably the fastest player in the draft. He may not post the fastest time, but his "on the field" speed is unmatched.

In other words, who is faster on a football field: Jason Hill or Ted Ginn? It is not even close.

I think the league will also take a look at who Jackson has been training with the last month or so: The Legend, Jerry Rice. You know scouts, coaches, GM's and every player personnel director is going to pump Rice for questions, and I'm guessing Rice will help Jackson's cause. In other words, if there is a person you want to hang around going into the NFL, it is Jerry Rice.

So, although the thought of Jackson playing around 175 pounds is scary,I believe his speed alone is going to entice some team above the Niners. Dallas is sitting on the board above the Niners, and I've got a feeling Jerry Jones wouldn't mind having a rocket returning punts, and coming in as the number 3 or 4 WR next year. Jackson is one player who immediately upgrades a team that is making a Super Bowl run right now.

jerry rice is definitely liking desean.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8323369
UPDATE:

A couple of juniors to report.

RB Steve Slaton reported an inch shorter than thought, at 5'9", but weighed close to 200, at 198. So, he appears to be a little bit shorter and stockier than previously believed.

WR Earl Bennett dropped a full two inches, to post a height of 5'11", and weighed in at 208 pounds. Losing two inches is never a good thing. He says he will participate in everything. He is a very nice kid, and hard worker. There is no diva in the guy.

Here is why:

I'd take Donnie Avery or even Dexter Jackson over Desean Jackson any day of the week.
UPDATE:

A couple of juniors to report.

RB Steve Slaton reported an inch shorter than thought, at 5'9", but weighed close to 200, at 198. So, he appears to be a little bit shorter and stockier than previously believed.

WR Earl Bennett dropped a full two inches, to post a height of 5'11", and weighed in at 208 pounds. Losing two inches is never a good thing. He says he will participate in everything. He is a very nice kid, and hard worker. There is no diva in the guy.

I really hope Bennett pulls off a fast 40 times...anything around 4.45 would be ideal for this guy, and probably make him a solid option as a slot WR to start his career.

Originally posted by Canuck9er:

Don't we already have an Andre Caldwell on the team in Jason Hill? Similar bodies, similar speed. Take a look at Hill's Combine stats. The big question about Hill is his durability. I'm not sure it would be a good move to use a high draft choice to duplicate last year's 3rd round pick. Imho, it would be wiser for the team to trade for I. Bruce, who knows the Martz system and can help tutor the other players as well as provide another reliable outlet. Just sayin'.

We have nothing at WR and need to build the depth and get starters. Hill has proven nothing and I just don't see how we get away from continuing to upgrade the WR talent. Bruce, no thanks because of age.

I would rather grab a lineman first then a WR with the 2nd.
  • Canuck9er
  • Info N/A

We have nothing at WR and need to build the depth and get starters. Hill has proven nothing and I just don't see how we get away from continuing to upgrade the WR talent. Bruce, no thanks because of age.

I would rather grab a lineman first then a WR with the 2nd.

This is Hill's 2nd year in the NFL and he should begin contributing this year. It's not like he's a bust or anything close to it. I have no objection to adding WRs, but Caldwell is a virtual duplicate of Hill. I'm thinking a bigger redzone possession receiver would be a better pick - someone with enough size that he can't be screened out of the play. And I think Bruce would be a great addition - he knows the Martz system, is a reliable target, and will be cap friendly because he'll only get a two-year contract. That gives us a productive WR who can step into the system without the learning curve every rookie has. He would also give us the luxury of drafting fresh WRs and giving them a year or two to develop. I don't have a problem with drafting WRs as long as we don't use early picks(nothing above a 3rd rounder on a WR). We can gets smurfs like Jackson any year in FA or trade(Shaun McDonald from the Lions?) who are proven commodities without expending high draft picks. A difference in philosophy maybe?
UPDATE:

Mario Manningham measured at 5'11", an inch shorter than expected, and at 181 pounds, five pounds lighter than expected.

This is not a good start for Manningham. If he came in at 6', 195 pounds, this would help erase some fear about his size.

He'll need to run a very quick forty time to get into the first round.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 22, 2008 at 12:01 PM ]

I actually see it as AND instead of OR. I think we should acquire a veteran like Bruce (should he become available) AND a guy like Stallworth/Berrian AND use a 2nd-4th round pick on a speedy slot-type.

Reason being, Martz runs multiple WR sets quite often, and you need legitimate threats on the field at all times. So if we only have Hill/Bruce, and say one goes down due to injury, we can't effectively run this offense. IMO, a variation of this would be ideal:

Flanker: Isaac Bruce, Jason Hill
Split-end: Donte' Stallworth, Andre Caldwell
Slot: Arnaz Battle, Dexter Jackson (Caldwell)
UPDATE: JUNIOR RB MEASURABLES

Rashard Mendenhall measured at 5'10", 225, one inch shorter, but 15 pounds heavier, than listed.

Darren McFadden measured at 6'1", 210, which is an inch shorter than his listing.
Share 49ersWebzone